Start by marking “The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization” as Want to Read:
The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization

The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization

YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE STORY

Five friends go to a remote
cabin in the woods.
Bad things happen.
If you think you know the story,
think again.

Official Movie Novelization.
Mass Market Paperback, 297 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Titan Books (first published February 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cabin in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cabin in the Woods

☣Lynn☣
Warning : This isn't really a review, just a whole bunch of movie gifs and such.

My love for this movie might just have something to do with me rating this book so high. I mean come on, the movie is so fucking good. How can you not like a movie that has:

scary ass monsters

killer unicorns

redneck zombies!

some sexy dancing

1 fucking hot fool

Fuck that man is beautiful ^_____^

Don't mind me drooling....

And don't forget evil gods!!

Seriously, it feels like this movie was made for ME. It has basically ever
Amanda McGill
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, own
I picked this book up from an used book sale and read the back:

Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods.
Bad things happen.
If you think you know the story, think again.

Sounds interesting. I'm always up for a good mystery that has a twist ending. I should of read the Movie to Novelization part. This was a horror movie starring Chris Hemsworth and Jesse Williams that was rewritten as a novel.

This was not the novel for me. Yes, 5 friends do go to a cabin in the woods, but then they get attac
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
I watched the film quite a while ago and must say that I don't remember a great deal about it, just that it was weird, wacky, out there and pretty difficult to follow. I had no idea there was a book, so when I found it at the library I followed my faith that the book is always better than the film and decided to borrow it. Now, I really enjoyed this! Straight after I finished the book the film was on TV (weird...I had no idea) so I compared. Others may find it weird as the film and book are pret ...more
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
After some initial trepidation I quite enjoyed this book. Trepidation because I found the characters annoying haha. I liked how it kept you guessing...was it a slasher movie type book? Backwoods horror? Zombie horror? Well, I suppose all of the above to some degree but it was a whole lot more, some interesting revelations and twists! The payoff at the end was great. I did watch the first 40 minutes or so of the movie in tandem with reading but now I look forward to watching the rest :)
Patrick Kiernan
Went to see the movie in the cinema loved it and I'm just finished reading this it's a great read.
Jaimie
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best horror novel I've read in forever!

I've been looking forward to this movie for way over a year now and when I heard there was a novelization, I knew I just had to read it. And I was not disappointed. At first when I heard about The Cabin in the Woods I thought, yeah, okay. Teens going into the woods and getting hacked up by some killer. I'm sure that's what a lot of people thought. But fuck, everyone was far from the truth!

This is one of the most fucked up and crazy books I've read! I th
Scott
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, movie-tie-in
It's an all-too-familiar story: five friends - the jock, the slut, the nice girl, the brain, and the clown - go for vacation to a cabin in the Middle of Nowhere, and then...well, you know. Only in this case, you don't. This one's different. Really. No, I can't tell you why. Only that there's much more beneath the surface.

I don't normally read movie novelizations but this one's by Tim Lebbon, one of the current greats, and though I've been very excited to see the film I don't know when I'll get t
Jessica
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was a fun read, but there were some things that could have been tweaked. You could tell the author was from the UK, Americans don't usually say things like windscreen and torch. There were some missed opportunities when it came to the POV changes. Like, why would he write Dana watching her friends explore the basement? There should have been quick paragraphs from the differing POVs.

I wonder what they would have had to use to summon the vagina dentata woman.
Darren Hayes
Cabin In the Woods

I recently took the time to read the movie novelization of the same tilted film which was written by best selling author Tim Lebbon. Of course as a movie this was advertised as something new and something fresh. The book also takes this approach with little detail of what the book is about on the rear cover. Which is always refreshing to see something want to do something different especially when this item has something to do with the one and only Joss Whedon.

This novel sta
Cindy
Oct 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
While this is a faithful adaptation of the film and provided us with some additional insight into some of the characters, overall it was disappointing. The pacing is much too slow with the result that much of the humor & horror of the screen doesn't translate to the page. It's also (at least the nook edition) riddled with typos and poorly attributed dialogue that threw me right out of the story. The final straw for me was when "Judah" suddenly became "Jonah." There's no excuse for that lack ...more
Lindsay
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, ebooks, overdrive, 2018
Two stars seems really low, but "it was okay" about sums up my feelings on it. It's really just the movie, more or less. I was curious if this would lend any more insight or depth into it. It doesn't. It's not bad, but if you seen the movie you're covered.
Tamarra Courtney
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was scary and was interesting to read at the same time. And also i was excited to read the book because i had saw the movie and it had took me back to when i did see the movie. That's why i said that i was scary. But other then that i will be reading this book again if i have a chance to get the book from the library again.
Sandra (youmaysayimareader)
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parodic characters and big arcane companies with scary top-secret missions.
Recommended to Sandra (youmaysayimareader) by: Childhood Monsters
For other reviews and bookish things go to http://youmaysayimareader.blogspot.com

3.75/5

"An army of nightmares, huh? Let's get this party started."

This book was a reread for me and I've seen the movie more times that I'm comfortable acknowledging so I knew where I was getting into.

But... I don't know. The first time I read it I gave it five stars on Goodreads. Ok, maybe it was more like a 4.75, but the thing is that I really liked it.

So what happened this time? Maybe my love for the movie clouded
C. Chambers
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is fine. And I find that so disappointing.
The movie is incredible and groundbreaking, yielding a love that I spell with a capital 'L'. It's so great.

And this? It's just... fine.

Almost worth 1 star, but bumped up due to my appreciation of the source material.
B.G.M. Hall
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A tough book to review: on the one hand, I enjoyed reading it; on the other, I can't think of anyone I'd recommend it to.
Writers of novelizations have a tough job: they need to be faithful to the film, not skip too much or add too much that isn't needed, while accepting that there's a limited market for horrow novelizations [I still own a copy of the combined noveliztion of "A Nightmare On Elm Street Parts 4 & 5" - I suspect few others do].
The movie of Cabin in the Woods seemed to divide aud
Robert
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars out of 5
I loved this movie, it is in fact one of my all time favorites. So instead of delving into the sheer genius of the movie, I will stick to the book. I knew the second I saw it at B&N that I had to read it. The novelization is true to the movie as you'd expect, reflecting its success. I was hoping for a closer look at the monsters, but instead was surprised by getting to know each character intimately. The book is brutal. I found myself unnerved by the violence, not because it
Bryan D
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a kid I collected tie-in novels because they were a fun way to get into reading, I could re-live the film whilst waiting for the video tape to grace the Irish stores (This was in the 80's) and sometimes you'd get extra stuff not featured in the film.
And then there are the exception to the rule when the book was well written, compulsive reading and just a joyous experience; I could bore you with a list of those that fall into this category but I'll save you the Arnold Rimmer rant and just say
Shawn Edrei
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
As it turns out, "The Cabin in the Woods" is not the sort of movie that can benefit from translation into a different medium. The novelization doesn't add anything substantial to the story or characters beyond what the film already established, and much of the visceral horror is lost in Lebbon's prose.

I'd much rather see the movie again.
Maryellen
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the movie and was looking for the chance to "see" the story again and also maybe get a little further into the characters. There are no big surprises, but there's a bit more character development and a little bit more philosophy. One disappointment is that the cellar scene wasn't explored in any greater detail - I wished I would've learned more about what items linked to what horrors!
Latiqua Smith
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad I'm finish this novel. If you watched the movie, you basically read the book. The book just goes into more detail and give you a better understanding of what's going on.
ABC
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found the movie much better as this book...but nevertheless a shocker. Love to feel the thrill of the horror trip.

Jaime
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
pretty good until the horrible ending. never really explains what the purpose was in detail and then the end is just weird.
Claire
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erica Metcalf
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
The Cabin in the Woods is one of my all time favorite movies. When I first watched it, I was expecting a true horror film, but I was so happy to learn that it was a wonderful mashup of horror comedy!

So when I saw a copy of The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion at my local Goodwill, I was ecstatic! Of course I snatched it up immediately and went directly to the register.

This was absolutely everything I was hoping it would be.

The forward by Drew Goddard was such a great start to th
Sharon Bidwell
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to say this is one occasion where I have to recommend sticking to watching the film. There's nothing wrong with this novelisation (my review has little to do with the writing), but it doesn't add anything to the experience. I expected more depth but some of the character's internal perspectives didn't quite seem to gel with what I already had in mind, and maybe that's the problem — had I read this before seeing the film I might feel quite differently so I feel a little guilty only liking ...more
❤ArtfullySinful❤
A shocking tale leading readers down a terrifying simulation, one where 5 need to fall. The Whore, The Athlete, The Scholar, The Fool, And Lastly the Virgin. Playing these roles: Adventurous Jules Louden, Athletic Curt Vaughn, Intelligent Holden McCrea, Troubled and Doubting Marty Mikaliski, and lastly, the innocence in the group, Dana Polk. A group of 5 friends, hoping for a weekend of adventurous fun, sex and beer, discover the cabin they are visiting, is anything but the delightful out of cit ...more
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spoilers!

1/4 - First book of April! Yay! I remember seeing the trailer for this movie and thinking "A Joss Whedon horror movie? I HAVE to see this?" Of course I never got around to it while it was at the cinemas and it has since slipped my mind (I'm going to see if I can find it playing on Foxtel tomorrow morning). 55 pages in and I can definitely hear Whedon's voice in the dialogue; the Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse episodes he wrote were always the funniest with the snappiest one-liners.
Krista
Jul 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even for a movie novelization, this is trash. Putting aside all the spelling errors, formatting mistakes, and uncorrected Britishisms that toss you out of the story, the author seems hellbent on complete character assassination. Every person we get to hear the inner thoughts of is a sexed-up perv, regardless of if it makes logical sense. The movie is funny and clever, playing with tropes and situations, but you'd never guess that from the novelization. It takes a smart twist on the horror genre ...more
Amanda
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of potential, but it was overshadowed by an extremely shallow cast.

I would recommend watching the movie over reading the book. Full characters made the beginning of the story drag on for far too long.
Kay-Lynne North
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Maybe this book is made to read during the movie. That would probably make it better. I just skipped around and didn't really read much. Everyone in this story is pretty annoying and I wanted them to all die by page 4. The first two guys complain too much.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• While the Others Sleep
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film, 1978-1986
  • All That Remains
  • The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax, #3)
  • Just A Little Terrible
  • Ghost Rider
  • The Evil Within
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Gleefully Macabre Tales
  • The Animal Rebellion (Shivers, #4)
  • Dark Angels: Lesbian Vampire Stories
  • The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers
  • The Switch House
  • Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,
“them growing, and now he was certain that she felt it too. She was as keen to be close to him as he was to her. It felt a little awkward in the company of the others—he’d invaded their group, after all, and he couldn’t shake the feeling that Curt had brought him along as a potential fix-up. But he couldn’t deny the effect she was having over him. He only hoped she’d brought a bikini. He” 0 likes
“Baby, this is why we came here,” Curt breathed into her mouth. “It’s romantic.” He turned her, one hand on her” 0 likes