Start by marking “Star Flight” as Want to Read:
Star Flight

Star Flight

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  382 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The lush, secluded mountains of North Carolina's Lake Lure had drawn Lauren Castle into their spell. It was here, in 1938, that Hollywood's most beloved glamour girl, Victoria Frazer, drowned during a scandalous affair with actor Roger Brandt. Few knew about the baby spirited away into the night. That baby was Lauren's mother. It has been two years since Lauren's filmmaker ...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published March 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published August 17th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Star Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Flight

Alice (marriedtobooks)
I picked Star Flight up on a whim at a secondhand book sale a few months back. Not knowing anything about the book or the author, I was going into reading this completely blind. Star Flight follows a woman called Lauren who is summoned to the area of Lake Lure where her husband passed away during a film shoot. The note she receives is that her husband's death was a murder and not an accident. It doesn't help that Lauren is the granddaughter of a man who had an affair which resulted in the birth ...more
M.
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Phyllis Whitney, an author whose book titles are evocative and inviting. It turns out the stories match that description also.

Star Flight finds Lauren Castle arriving at Lake Lure in South Carolina. Lake Lure is a place of mystery and legend. Lauren's husband died there on a film shoot, and her grandfather lives there in his reclusive waterfront mansion. Lauren has never met him, as her mother was the product of a love affair between her grandfather, a former movie star
Pr Latta
[audio] I was looking for an mp3 to download (WMA player died...) and I've been entertained by some of Whitney's other titles (they remind me of Granny). I initially had a bit of a problem with Anna Fields -- I keep thinking "Susan Elizabeth Phillips" but on my second go 'round became accustomed to her voice and it worked. This was a "background" listen for me - I never really engaged (which is why it took two tries to finish) and the biggest pull for me was it's sense of place: spot on for the ...more
Colette
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed her books. Reading this made me want to go to where the book was set...
Robin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few of Whitney's novels and liked most of them but this one just didn't do it for me. Seems like the story just dragged on and on and I kept wanting to just get it finished so I could move on to something else.

Part of the problem was that the premise wasn't unbelievable. I realize Whitney wanted to have all of the characters be from Lure Lake so she could bring in all of the relatives and friends but let's be realistic. Victoria was from Lure Lake, living in California, and sh
Phaedra221
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another clear winner by Phyllis Whitney. She keeps you guessing while weaving a wonderful tale with wonderful surroundings. This one, set in the Lake Lure & Chimney Rock areas of North Carolina, brings back memories. Luckily, when we were there we were able to take the elevator to the top of Chimney Rock, but right now, it's out of commission. Rather walk down, as we did. Views are amazing.
Robert Mattei
Not terrible, but in the end not very satisfying.
Kent  R33D
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hard to put down
Irene
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Castle searches for the truth behind her husband's accidental death and her famous grandmother's suicide. Two generations divide these tragic events, yet both seem curiously and inextricably linked.
In 1938, two of Hollywood's most glittering stars, Victoria Frazer and Roger Brandt, were cast in a movie set in these mountains. Drawn to each other with a passion that was destined to cool, their ill-fated affair ended with the birth of an illegitimate daughter, Victoria's death and the end o
Doris
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I discovered Ms Whitney when I was in Junior High (aka middle school), and have been a fan ever since. This book lived up to her trademark attention to detail.

I loved the detail of the area, and was able to picture the scenery as well, since I lived near there for many years. It was nice to see it detailed, and amusing to see all the uses for kudzu. Are there really that many uses for kudzu? I don't know, but it made the reading more interesting, seeing how the author described uses for an invas
Dayna Smith
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am probably the biggest Whitney fan ever, but this is not my favorite of her works. It is still a nice read for the wonderful attention to scenery and detail that are Whitney's trademarks. Lauren Castle is called to Lake Lure, North Carolina, to investigate the untimely death of her husband, Jim. Jim was producing a documentary about a 1930s film star. Did he uncover secrets that cost him his life?
Mary
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read some of her books when I was younger and thought they were pretty good. I found this to be over the top drama in terms of character development and conversations and just not a great read. Skimmed thru to the end just to finish after I was 2/3 done.
Enchantress  debbicat ☮
Really good listen for the car. I could follow easily. I liked the narrator a lot and she added much to the reading. I enjoyed this book and would do more that are similar for the commute. Loved the setting as I was a little familiar with it. Quick and entertaining read.
brightredglow
Been a long time since I had read a Phyllis Whitney book and as I remembered, the premise is often greater than the actual story. But there is a nostalgia to her writing that reminds that I'll probably always have a soft spot for her books.
Robyn Owens
Woman searches for truth behind her grandmother's assumed suicide many years ago at Lake Lure in North Carolina, Chimney Mountain and Bald Rock. Her grandmother was a glamorous movie star from the 30s when she disappeared and it was assumed that she drowned herself in the lake.
Kelley
Was okay. I liked all the references to Chimney Rock and the Lake Lure area. I got a little bored about 2/3 through and started skimming descriptions. But I'm glad I read it, though I won't read it again.
Avary
My aunt gave this to me for Christmas, because it's set in around Lake Lure, NC.
It was OK.
Marcie Lewis
Downloaded it as an audio book from the library. I enjoyed listening to it in the car and while cleaning house.
Judi
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, mysticism, and mystery all rolled into one - what's not to like?
ariel
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery and nice writing style. I just think the way the characters talked was unrealistic, haha. It bothered me sometimes.
Cari
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.
Amy
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
Quick read. Nice little murder mystery ghost story.
Joanne
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's one author still worthy of reading from my past! She writes a good mystery book )
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
great story, little mystic
Eileen
Jul 27, 2008
Christine Flanigan
rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2012
  • The Demon Lover
  • Missing Max
  • Sleigh Bells for Dry Creek
  • Six gothic tales
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...