Start by marking “Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent” as Want to Read:
Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent

Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Boy genius Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent, H for short, is the answer to his rich parents' prayers. He is their dear companion, their fiercest board game adversary, and their frequent guest at parties.

But this prodigy's parents don't share his knack for accounting - and they can't imagine ever running out of money. Will Hubert be able to save the Bobton-Trent's fabulo
Published 2005 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent

Kathryn
This is such an odd, funny, interesting little story! I really am not entirely sure what to make of it or the "message" but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Hubert is born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he also has a lot of talent and some common sense, that allows him the perception to see past some of the pitfalls of the upper-crust that his parents just don't quite see until it's too late.

I do tend to enjoy Lauren Child's illustrations, they are fun and imaginative and interesting and
Gerry
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hubert Horation Bartle Bobton-Trent, known to his very rich parents as H, lived in a large, luxury house in London, with homes also in New York and Milan.

His socialite parents left him to his own devices and he found that he was a natural at almost everything. He always had a cup of cocoa at bedtime and sometimes he took it along to his parents' bedroom to drink it there. But his parents were so far away in this magnificent house that when he got there his cocoa was cold.

He befriended next door
Nielson
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent is the child prodigy of two frightfully, frightfully rich parents. Constantly playing board games, drinking cocoa, and throwing parties, Hubert's parents are oblivious to the fact that their money funds have run dry. As Hubert and his fellow prodigy friend Stanton Harcourt III devise an equation to save the Bobton-Trent mansion, the solution is not what they expected! Although the text is longer and Hubert's name is a mouthful, this is a charming story about th ...more
Humor is definitely one of Lauren Child's strong points, it is one of the reasons I find her books so enjoyable. She can take an ordinary sentence and tweak it just a little and make it something that you will sit there reading with a smirk on your face. This book was amusing, but it wasn't my favorite, I found myself entertained, but I'm not planning on reading it over and over again.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Annie Oosterwyk
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything by Lauren Child and this is no exception. The heroes make the most of their gifts and experience and face financial ruin with equanimity- realizing that having money is not what makes us happy and the importance of warm cocoa.
Gail
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best children's books written. funny, sweet, such humor in the drawings. perfect mix of adult humor and child's story. lauren child is AMAZING!
Kay
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We adore Lauren Child's books. She's incredibly witty and her illustrations are so unique. This story was a great lesson in the things that are really important in life, too. Loved it!
Gillian
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this children's book. What great characters and Lauren Child's art work is as matchless as her story telling.
Lynn
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Very funny, very cute, very clever
C Wharton
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book off Lauren Child! I used to read this so much when I was younger. Love the illustrations.
Emily
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent is a child genius who lives with his two frightfully, frightfully rich parents in their grand mansion. Obliviously to the state of their fortunes, when their money runs out Hubert and his fellow genius friend Stanton Harcourt III, have to devise a plan to save the Bobton-Trent mansion.

Whilst this book is not as child friendly as some of Lauren Child's other books such as the Charlie and Lola series, it has a distinct charm and wit as well as the familiar quirk
Sarah Sammis
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent is by Lauren Child, an author best known for her two series: Charlie and Lola, and Clarice Bean. Hubert is the son of wealthy, bored parents who decide what they need to enrich their lives is a child. It sounds shallow but Hubert's parents do genuinely want to be parents.

There's just one problem — their enormous mansion. For instance, it takes too long to go from the kitchen to bed. SO each and every night, Hubert drinks cold hot chocolate even though it's made
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I'm always rather disappointed if I don't absolutely love a new Lauren Child book. I know that everything she does can't be incredible, but generally it is. So, it is disappointing to find a book that doesn't quite make the mark for me. The impossibly titled Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent is the only son of frightfully, frightfully rich parents. His parents love playing board games, and are extravagantly social and generous. Sadly even the Bobton-Trents can fall on hard times, and it is up t ...more
Jessica Gillies
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: kids-books, humour
"One day, when Hubert felt he was old enough to tell his parents that he did not like to be called H, he telephoned down to the drawing room where his parents were doing some light entertaining with the Effington-Learies. This as when everyone realised that the one-year-old Hubert could not only speak but could also use a telephone."

The discovery of this book hiding among the english language picture books today was a definite highlight. Hilarious book,bright and colourful with fun illustrations
Maria Burel
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are fans of Lauren Child for her Charlie and Lola series. I enjoy her style of storytelling, and her dialogue, which is more like a child’s stream of consciousness. Add to that her collage and sketch-style illustrations, and we’re just big fans. In Hubert, a riches to rags story, Child delivers a clear moral message, but in a manner that’s not preachy. This can be difficult to do, but it’s done well here. A slightly longer picture book text, but well worth the read.
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about the importance of happiness over riches; it shows that some togetherness, board games and warm cocoa can bring as much joy as wads of cash. The story is set in London and begs to be read with a British accent, much to our girls' dismay. The story has a lot of humor, but also shows that being rich does not mean that your life is perfect; in fact, the parents are shown to be quite neglectful.
Rob Jinkerson
A really nice children's picture book. When Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton-Trent's parents discover that they are no longer 'frightfully' rich, Hubert tries to find way for them to live.

The book, as well as just being a great story with fab illustrations, has a good message about what really matters in life.
Emma
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I picked this book off a shelf thinking I'd scan it and put it back quickly. I should have known better when I saw it was by Lauren Child, author of the lovable Charlie and Lola books. Instead I read almost every page aloud because of the deliciousness of the writing style. I'm going to have to buy a copy of this book.
Melinda Szymanik
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr and Mrs Bobton Trent wanted to meet someone knew so they decided to have a child! This was a favourite with my youngest and we happily shared it many times. Gorgeous illustrations, fun quirky text. Another Child winner
The Styling Librarian
Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton Trent by Lauren Child – Brilliant child born to shallow parents becomes the creative hero in this story. Great one to share with children to demonstrate needs vs. wants—shall be passing to a few grade level teams that will be discussing this very topic!
Mary
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious poke at the super wealthy and their traditions. I kept waiting for Charlie and Lola to show up (same author/illustrator)...It was fun to read this (longer than expected) story in a British accent, as I do with all of Lauren Child's books. Good message that money isn't everything.
Wendy
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest children's books I have read in ages. The illustrations and page layouts offer typical Lauren Child impact-bright, lively, engaging and FUN. Plus a lesson in financial planning and what really matters as a bonus.
Shannon
Favorite part, how the home is so big his hot cocoa was always cold by the time he joined his parents.

Charlie & Lola fans will recognize the familiar illustrations.

Could easily be read up to a third grade class.
Tori
Sep 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so influential that I now know what I will name my first-born child.

And, incredible illustrations-- lush colors, scanned textiles, and ink drawings. Probably my favorite children's book right now.
Jie Gao
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
odd and funny
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-belle
So funny and great lesson about money! Love the illustrations. It's really fun to read aloud.
Jena
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because the character is the spitting image of my son. An absolutely wonderful and funny book!
The Brothers
A good story about how being rich doesn't necessarily lead to happiness.

Fun and unique illustrations.
Julie Flake
Weird story with a happy ending. Loved the art.
Hester Rathbone
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, should-buy
I really loved this book. Something about its over-the-top nature is very appealing to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • The Lion's Share
  • Time to Say "Please"!
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more