Start by marking “Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim” as Want to Read:
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  228,648 ratings  ·  6,188 reviews
David Sedaris plays in the snow with his sisters. He goes on vacation with his family. He gets a job selling drinks. He attends his brother's wedding. He mops his sister's floor. He gives directions to a lost traveler. He eats a hamburger. He has his blood sugar tested. It all sounds so normal, doesn't it? In his newest collection of essays, David Sedaris lifts the corner ...more
Paperback, 1st Back Bay Books paperback edition, 257 pages
Published May 2005 by Back Bay Books (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, please sign up.
Erin Why is masturbation such a taboo topic? Most 12-year-olds will relate to these references. It's the perfect, sometimes contrarian humour that I would…moreWhy is masturbation such a taboo topic? Most 12-year-olds will relate to these references. It's the perfect, sometimes contrarian humour that I would have really enjoyed at that age.(less)

·  228,648 ratings  ·  6,188 reviews

Jason Koivu
The Sedaris family is certifiably crazy and I love them.

Out of everything he's produced (I've read all of his major work and only missed a few short pieces) this is my favorite David Sedaris book. Yet, I don't recommend it...

...not always, not to everyone. The subject matter can be too much for some people, especially if they've been told that David Sedaris is a humorist and then they encounter some the more depressing details of his real life experiences. I laugh my ass off at the bottom-feede
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I think by this point it’s pretty much common knowledge that I love David Sedaris like a fat kid I love cake and, well . . . . .

Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim might be my favorite collection yet. I could seriously kick myself for not only not trying audiobooks before this Fall, but also for not thinking of collections like these as something that would fit into my short commute time perfectly. We’re talking true . . . .

E
karen
this is a book by david sedaris.
shrug.

i mean, what else am i supposed to say? it's not like he went out on a limb here and wrote a space opera or a bodice ripper. it's david sedaris. if you like him, you will probably like this one. if you don't, you probably won't.

this is not my favorite of his collections, but i laughed out loud three times, which i think is pretty good. i like laughter.

**one time, connor made david sedaris laugh. he has yet to write a story about this incident, but we are all
Fabian
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so the Chip Kidd covers usually ruins authors like this for me. These covers almost ooze a Wes Anderson-type Americana... I'll let prejudices slip past.

So this writer has a following and it is understandable. This guy CAN WRITE. And topping that: he can write short stories. I am very ambivalent about short vignettes or even the lofty novella: why don't writers just extend the s**t out of whatever story they are writing to fit the perimeters of the novel? O so close.

Sedaris observes, writes.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I think I may have broken free of the endless Sedaris loop which I have had playing in my car, but I’m sure I’ll return to it eventually. If for no other reason than to hear about . . . . .

I will tell you, audio is the ONLY way to go when it comes to stories about the youngest Sedaris – be it David or Amy’s impersonation, you’ll be hard-pressed not to look like a hysterical maniac if driving while listening.

When my sisters and I eve
Michelle
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I thought I was over David Sedaris. I don't mean that I don't like him. I do. His essays are funny, but after a while they all seem to run together. He mines the same territory again and again -- stories of growing up with his dysfunctional, quirky, yet lovable family. Stories of himself as the odd and awkward kid growing up and trying to figure out how to live in this world.

I wasn’t going to buy Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim in print, but I saw the audio version, read by Sedaris himse
David
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So. David Sedaris.
Well, let's be clear. Nobody with a funnybone can hate David Sedaris. And neither do I. But it has to be said - that last book ("Dress your family in corduroy and denim") was quite a disappointment. Judging by the number of people showing up for his readings here in San Francisco, and its lengthy sojourn on The New York Times bestseller list, it obviously did pretty well commercially. And, based on the enormous amount of accumulated goodwill from his earlier books, I don't beg
Malia
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
This was my first book by David Sedaris and though there were some stories that spoke to me more than others, all in all, I enjoyed it and would read more by the author. Yes, he came across as kind of cranky and irritating at times, but I think that is probably part of his charm. He doesn't seem to put up a facade, which makes for entertaining reading. I very rarely read collections of anecdotes like this, because I already know a number will stand out and others will not, and I tend to prefer o ...more
Calista
I read this again which was a happy accident. I didn't think I had. I have heard several of these stories in other works, so David does recycle a story here or there. This was a wonderful laugh and tension drainer for me. I really enjoyed some of these stories.

I have to say that I think my favorite stories of his are when David uses his brother Paul. That man is crazy and so funny. He just had me laughing. He has a way of finding the funny in the mundane. I would love to be able to do that.

A l
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me laugh myself sick every time I read it. Blood Work and La Nuit of the Dead are put together so perfectly. Sedaris creates a series of misguided attempts at human connection that seem doomed to fail through selfishness or insecurity, but somehow don’t. Sedaris is so good at exposing the frailty of those emotional connections without ever doubting that they can still sustain our relationships. He makes me relate to even the most impossibly awkward and painful situations. Every t ...more
Jessaka
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Books to Sleep By

I wonder if you have to be weird to like Sedaris’ books, or maybe even weirder to use them to get to sleep at night like I do?

I have listened to his books many times over, that is, what I remember of them, as I am lying in bed trying to not think so I can sleep. What is it with old people and insomnia? At least I am not alone. But that is not comforting.

Maybe it is that old people think too much because they have a lot in their brains from all the years of accumulating knowled
Lisa
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, essays
David Sedaris makes me happy. This is my second (after Calypso) and I am thrilled about his lengthy backlist. There were many laugh out loud moments here and also some poignant ones.
Ginger
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2018
Another good collection of short stories by David Sedaris!
3.5 stars!

I decided to do the audiobook for Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim and I’m glad I did. At times, his voice bugged me a bit. It was more indifferent then I liked, and I know he was going for deadpan. But at the same time, David Sedaris is cynical, funny and does the best job of explaining his crazy family and all his neurotic thoughts. Boy does he have a lot of neurotic thoughts!! Ha! I think we all do at times.

His humor
Jennifer Good
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing a laugh
oh so hilarious...

"What the hell are you doing?" she whispered, but my mouth was too full to answer...as she closed the door and behind her and moved toward my bed, I began breaking the wax lips and candy necklaces pulled from pile no. 2. These were the second-best things I had received, and while it hurt to destroy them, it would have hurt evern more to give them away. I had just started to mutilate a miniature box of Red Hots when my mother pried them from my hands, accidentally finishing the
Adam
Oct 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I tried to like this book. Maybe it's one of those that, at page 100, kicks everything glorious into overdrive, making you gleeful and giddy and full of delight at reading it. Maybe I should have read further and waited longer. But, you see, I only really started to read this because it seemed hip at the time to do so. I'm not too sure that I care enough about maintaining some form of imagined quasi-hipness to make myself sit through the rest of it. There. I'm admitting I didn't read t ...more
Dana
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as reliably entertaining as his previous books!
Thomas
This is the first time I ever read anything by David Sedaris.

It had its moments, but I was expecting it to be more laugh-out-loud funny. At times it was clever and occasionally amusing but mostly it was kind of depressing. At least when you're reading a book about some horrible crime you know you're dealing with the extremes of human behavior, but these stories reminded me of just how common pettiness, stupidity and flat out meanness are. If this is really anything close to an accurate portraya
britt_brooke
"I might reinvent myself to strangers, but to this day, as far as my family is concerned, I’m still the one most likely to set your house on fire."

Rereading David Sedaris (nonfiction) via audio has been so fun! I loved his books before, but he's now solidified a spot among my favorite authors. He is such an amazing story teller. His last lines are always perfect.

Whitney
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. I got the audio book to listen to on one of my drives. I couldn't finish it. I heard good things about it...that it was hilarious and that David Sedaris is great...but I just couldn't get into it. I think I forced a laugh out once just to remember what it felt like to laugh. It didn't feel right so I stopped.
Lucy
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you could write about whatever you wanted? What if no topics were off limits, no person's feelings or privacy taken into consideration, no personal flaws purposely left unmentioned in order to be protected from ridicule?

You would probably write exactly like David Sedaris.

To actually write like David Sedaris, however, you'd also have to be intelligent, impeccably attentive to details and most importantly - uncommonly funny. With that winning combination, Sedaris's unencumbered writing cre
Pixelina
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, funny
The last episode 'Nuit of the living dead' had me break down in tears from laughing so hard. A lot of the other chapters are funny, but I read it before in other Sedaris books. I just need to think 'Oh I see you have a little swimming mouse' to start laughing like mad though.
Someone told me I should try and get one of his books on audio cause it is even funnier hearing him reading it. Will try that for sure.
Matthew
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes cynical, sometimes neurotic, always entertaining. These stories are great for a few laughs and just might make you think.

Often Sedaris says what we are thinking, but too afraid to say out loud.
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

(Full disclosure: book abandoned at page 211 [out of 257 pages].)

I’d had this book on my to-read list for too long and finally decided to read it after Sedaris made me laugh in the documentary “Do I Sound Gay?” As of this writing, this book has an impressive average rating of 4.08 here on Goodreads, so I had high expectations; unfortunately, I can’t join the David Sedaris fan club.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim isn’t so much a memoir as it is a series of humorous anecd
J.K. Grice
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I actually listened to the audio book version of this, and I found myself laughing my head off to Sedaris's stories. Now, I don't usually laugh out loud very easily, but this guy is absolutely HILARIOUS. When Sedaris voiced his down south family story, I just about drove my truck off the road I was laughing so hard. Also, if you've never heard his narration of the Christmas season where he worked as a Macy's elf....amazing. My wife (who had never heard of Sedaris before) and I were driving home ...more
Amelia Strydom
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Sedaris book. I read until past midnight and laughed so hard that my dogs crept to the edges of the bed, from where they are still shooting me the occasional worried look. I'm seriously considering buying the audiobook version as well, especially since it is read by the author.
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
David Sedaris being David Sedaris. I would hate to be in his family. Every bit of dirty laundry ends up in a book!

Review to come.

Audiobook Comments
Read by the author! Woohoo!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
E.
highly entertaining!!

Edit: 5 Nov 18
Reread
Still like it
Michael Kneeland
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim delves further into the fascinating, hilarious, and otherwise utterly bizarre life of David Sedaris and his family. This collection of his essays is quite good--among my favorites of his--because throughout most of it, he manages to find a moving balance between the tragic and the comic.

Take, for instance, "The Ship Shape," about how his family almost bought a summer home, but ultimately lost out on the chance because of his father's fickleness with money
Kelly
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim is a hilarious book about David Sedaris's life and family. It starts off when he was a young boy and he has to give up his Halloween candy to the neighbors. He then stuffed as much candy in his face as possible so he wouldn't have to share it. I knew right after this chapter that I was going to like this book. As you read further in the book you learn all about his family like his brother, Paul, the rooster. Different events occur in this book that tell yo ...more
Jesi
So, I got about 7% into the book Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim before just not being able to listen to it anymore. It, quite literally, was making me sick to listen to it. The main characters are shallow, "broken," and... well, the stuff of sitcom characters. They're (to me) sick, but "normal" which was making my head explode. I suppose, in a way, you could say that the book was "dark humor," which is pretty hit or miss to me.

The family really could have been spawned for Married With C

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Magical Thinking: True Stories
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Partly Cloudy Patriot
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
  • I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence
  • The Kid: (What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant) an Adoption Story
  • White Oleander
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need
  • We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive
  • My Less Than Secret Life: A Diary, Fiction, Essays
  • Pure Drivel
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2003
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated American humorist and radio contributor.

Sedaris came to prominence in 1992 when National Public Radio broadcast his essay "SantaLand Diaries." He published his first collection of essays and short stories, Barrel Fever, in 1994. Each of his four subsequent essay collections, Naked (1997), Holidays on Ice (1997), Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000), Dress Your Fa
“Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings” 634 likes
“He took a sip of my father’s weak coffee and spit it back into the mug. "This shit’s like making love in a canoe."
"Excuse me?"
"It’s fucking near water.”
539 likes