Start by marking “Boy, Was I Mad!” as Want to Read:
Boy, Was I Mad!

Boy, Was I Mad!

A little boy recounts his adventures the day he was so mad he ran away from home. After all of his adventures throughout the day he ends up back home realizing he had forgotten to run away. In the end he realizes he is no longer mad and besides he was now hungry and tired. Great story for kids!
Published June 1969 by MacMillan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Boy, Was I Mad!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy, Was I Mad!

Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A five-star book for sure. The detailed illustrations are beautiful and the story of a little boy who gets angry and runs away from home - only to be distracted by the fun and intestesting things throughout his neighborhood are right on. He has such a good day he forgets that he was mad and running away and ends up back at home where his mother has supper ready for him. It's a little out-dated here and there, for example the junk man drives a horse and wagon through the city, but that doesn't ma ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliant story - rambling and true-to-life - with appropriate illustrations by Mayer. Now, after having contributed to such a little masterpiece, why on earth did he feel the need to produce this garbage: I Was So Mad?
Mark Collins
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read "Boy Was I Mad" countless times back in the early 70s and LOVED IT! I recall reading it and losing myself in the story to such a degree, that by the end I felt like MY whole day had gone by. Of course Mercer Mayer's illustrations captivated me with their detail and action, I would spend considerable time studying each page as I read it. Probably one of my earliest inspirations to become an illustrator myself.

Christine
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
my favorite childhood book
Lydia Nolan
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I used to read this book to my children, often. As children get angry, just like adults, it's a good book for both children and adults (just like "The Giving Tree") with a different theme.

The boy is a typical boy, who has difficulty understanding why he had to do or be who has to do or be. This book is easy to read again, and yet warms the heart with valuable lessons about our never taking things for granted.
Pamela Trent
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a book among a set that I was given in the early 1970's. My parents would read them to me. Another one was 'The Cat and the Fiddler'. But this book was brought to my mind a few weeks ago when my 2 year old grandniece was being a terrible 2-year old. Boy, was she mad! We weren't sure why she was mad, but I searched and searched until I found this book to give to her parents. They don't write 'em like this anymore!
Whitney Watercutter
Ah, memories! Illustrated by Mercer Mayer! I remembered reading it as a kid, and I found it at "Books in Stock: Used, Rare and Antique Books" in Wooster, Ohio while on vacation. I recommend stopping there to anyone who wants a good dose of nostalgia. I love the way the author writes in dialect, and stays true to the age of the child. I usually find books written in "western" dialect bothersome, but somehow Kahteryn Hitte pulled it off subtly. This is a funny, cute little book.
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are wonderful and I remember loving this as a kid. Just found it at my parents' house. Too bad it's out of print.
Christa