Start by marking “The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King Trilogy #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King Trilogy #3)

The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,132 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Sometimes the greatest evil lies within.

The Dragon King who rules the land of Mensandor is none other than Quentin, whose courage and heroism have slowly transformed him from an orphaned servant into a war hero, respected leader, and a fierce man of faith.

But even the powerful can fall prey to weakness. The world is turned upside-down when the dark sorcerer Nimrood--long t
Published September 11th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword and the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword and the Flame

Janelle
First I'd like to say please don't judge all Lawhead books by this one. His later works are MUCH better. However this book was really not worth reading. The characters are cardboard cut outs. Every single character behaves exactly as you would expect them to except maybe for Quinton whose ridiculousness mood swings were just annoying and out of proportion with what had happened. I kept hoping Theido would slap him in the face. Seriously that would probably have solved half their problems right t ...more
Alexander Draganov
A five star read - excellent epic fantasy about faith, betrayal, trust, friendship, depression and salvation. Quentin, the Dragon King who has defeated the monstrous Nin, now faces his greatest challenge, as the evil necromancer Nimrood takes his young son captive. With this book, Stephen R. Lawhead puts himself into the company of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and David Eddings.
More detailed review in Bulgarian here:
Nikki
Aug 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
By read, I actually mean that I gave up on this trilogy. I can't imagine that this book would be any better than the previous two. Cliché piled on cliché, with powerless women and a bundle of fantasy stereotypes, compounded by over-elaborate, unnatural writing. I did used to like Lawhead's writing, but not so much in these books. It might have got better in the next book, but I have far too many books to hang around and wait for that. If you can't keep me interested, you're out.

(I find it odd ho
Eric Evans
Not very good. I mean you have the Dragon King throwing temper tantrums and kids saving the sword of light. Very childish book with very little detail.
Denae Christine
Too spread out to too many pov characters, IMHO. The denoument, however, was worth it.

Like the first two of the trilogy, this book has strong Christian themes, with Quentin serving the One God and trusting that the God won't forsake him in his darkest times. This was fine. It fit the book and world, and it added to the story. However, it left me expecting a literal deus ex machina moment the entire book, which sort of happened in the first two. Hmm. This did kind of happen, and it is not as fun.
Denise
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really liked this book and I really want to give it five stars but for one thing that went through all three books and came back blatantly in the last one. "I told you once that for men of my race, no higher honor could come to them but that they serve a great master and help him achieve his greatness" says Toli of the "dark-skinned race" to Quentin of the "Light-skinned race." Normally I don't get into that and yeah this book was written in the 80s but seriously? Would it have been so hard to ...more
Michael Greene
It was a good book, but I have to say I enjoyed the first and second books better.
Angela Ferrari
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I do like fantasy and the idea of dragons and gods
Kristy
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two, but it's still a good story.
Rick English
Pretty basic and perhaps a bit childish. I have read quite a bit of his later stuff and particularly enjoyed the King Raven trilogy I found this series to be overly preachy. Byzantium, a later work, was also religious but it was very well integrated into a good story.
Tamara
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen R Lawhead is one of my favourite authors, but this series is not his best work. I found myself with nothing else to read as I was traveling and so finished it, but until you get to the second book the story is a bit predictable and the dialogue forced. However, by the end you do find yourself invested in the characters and genuinely disappointed the story is over- something Lawhead is really good at.
Aelvana
Quentin has settled in as King and has built a family for himself. But Nimrood the Necromancer has returned, hungry for revenge. Nimrood kidnaps the Prince and Toli and stirs up the people of the realm against Quentin and Quentin's god. Quentin finds himself unexpectedly alone and descends into mad grief. Everything is being taken away from him: his son, his family, his friends, his faith. Will the promise of a new era indeed come to pass, or will it crumble like so much dust?

If you've read the
Annie
First Look: *****(5) Of course, the first two were amazing, so I knew this had to be amazing too. My cover (the reddish and white one) is okay, but while searching for an online picture I found another one, which is cooler.

Setting: *****(5) I want to live in this world. No joke. That's how good it is. As I read I could vividly see it all around me.

Characters: *****(5) Awesome. That's the best word to sum it up. They were all very complex, and even Quentin's crazy mood swings/spazz moments were b
Mark Buxton
My name is Toli, and the king has blamed me for the kidnapping of his son. And he's right, I should have protected him better. Now, the king has lost all hope, and he's in danger of losing his throne. I've learned the kidnapper is Nimrood; we should have made sure he was dead when we had the chance. He is demanding the king's sword as ransom for the prince's safe return, but the sword has disappeared. However, the king's greatest threat may come from within the kingdom. His faith and devotion to ...more
Luke Taylor
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Presenting challenges in a trilogy's third and final installment can prove to be difficult, and whilst Quentin's self-centered fall from grace at the kidnapping of his son and loss of his enchanted sword is but one of the factors unsettling Mensador, I believe The Sword and the Flame lacked the pernicious threat of the previous works due to the fact that several story arcs worked to steal from each other, so that, in the climax, a scene that should have been justifiably epic, as a clash between ...more
Phillip Lemons
In some ways this book is the strongest of the trilogy and in some ways it's the weakest. The technical aspects of Lawhead's writing is noticeably improved over the first book, In the Hall of the Dragon King. However, the plot felt weaker than the other two books.

The story feels like a blend of King David and Job. I found it a bit difficult to identify with the characters. In some ways the characters behaved as they ought to have rather than how I imagine real people would have. That is with ex
Bob Hayton
This is the finale of Lawhead's Dragon King series. This book does two things. It first brings out a more direct spiritual element in the work. Quentin is enthroned as the Dragon King who aims to bring in the kingdom of light, and to facilitate the worship of the One True God. Perhaps this directness turns some readers off. No attempt at allegory remains it is a direct Christian tale now.

On the other hand, this book gives hints of what's to come in Lawhead's writing. The tale is quite dark and
Damon
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but.....

this was a decent conclusion to the trilogy. I struggled with deciding whether to give it three or four stars and decided on four because the problems I have with the story are do to my own beliefs. The story has a generic fantasy formula feel to it which is not necessarily a bad thing but it was obviously a vehicle to promote Christianity. I kept thinking of King Quentin as Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity and the overall feeling I got about the books made me think
Donald
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, steven-lawhead
Great finality to the 'Dragon King Trilogy'. I could've sworn that Nimrood was taken-care-of in 'The Warlords of Nin' episode, but he's back to rear his evil, demonic head to tap-into selfishness, greed, arrogance, blasphemy, and seek revenge on the Dragon King. Thankfully our Most High is a forever reigning-and-present Lord in our-lives/my-life, especially in the midst of my sinfulness and disobedience. When Quentin turns to Him, whether He be-there for him, or not, and decides he will still be ...more
Libby
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another approximate ten year gap has passed in Quentin’s life. This time evil takes a much more personal form. It is Quentin who wrestles and begins to succumb to depression. His friends wrestle with how to break through to him and he eventually must evaluate his faith.

I have enjoyed this trilogy and will definitely read it again. It was such a great story and I was caught up in the adventure. Quentin is such a likeable character and his wrestling with darkness makes him an even more compelling
Meagan Stott
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book had a great start and the ending made me want to continue on to the next story as quickly as I could, however the middle was terribly dry. Lawhead spends a lot of time building different characters up, and I found it slightly boring, especially in the middle section... There were some intense scenes throughout the book that kept me going though. I did not like the demise of the bad guy, I felt like it came too simply and left me thinking it should be more dramatic. Overall a pretty go
Fanny
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ce
Finir ce livre était une véritable corvée ! Je l'ai fini parce que je suis une tête de mule, mais je ne lis pas de romans (encore moins de romans de fantasy) pour me faire évangéliser.
Le seul moyen de surmonter les épreuves, dans ce livre, c'est de prier. Mon fils se fait enlever ? Bah je vais dans une ville sainte et je vais prier. Ma bataille se déroule mal ? Prions un peu, mes braves. (view spoiler)
Stefan
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The third volume in the Dragon King series, was just as good as it's predecessors. I found the wild mood swing within the protagonist a bit hard to believe without skepticism, yet this was still a good read. What struck me is how short The Sword and the Flame is compared to other fantasy books. Nonetheless, Lawhead's characteristic (meaning excellent) character development, plot, settings, and back story are all here. The back story is a bit lacking, but so be it, because this is still a decent ...more
Margaret Roberts
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest enemy is self-that is what Lawhead portrays in this third book of the Dragon King trilogy. as Quentin must deal with not only the actions of his enemies, but his own as well. The modern man and his struggles is well portrayed, as well as the very real truth of an all-present God, no matter how one feels. A good read, though I found the conclusion lacking in some ways; there is definitely room to expand with a few characters.
Alex Johnson
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Overall a great story and enjoy Lawheads style. There where just some things that were frustrating about the main character and his sudden changing of attitude and heart to be sullen and then suddenly resolved to do good. Based on how the character was developed in the past 2 books of the series I expected a more mature and even tempered person than was portrayed.

Good book just very annoying on that one point.
Lobug
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one was a bit harder than the other 2. It bothers me that the main character deteriorated so fast. I felt like it was too unrealistic in that. Then suddenly, with very little explanation, he was himself again. His character was amazingly different from the other books, I felt; and the characterization just was not as good. I love this series, but this last book left a little something to be desired after how good the first 2 were.
Josiah
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the series. While, like the other books in the series, the villains are kind of defined by being purely-evil and thus not particularly interesting (though quite powerful!), the MC's character arc was well done and a powerful look at anger and revenge against mercy and forgiveness. I read this book several times when younger and enjoyed it each time.

3.5-4 Stars. (Very Good)
Frans Karlsson
Ashley Bigley
I have really enjoyed this entire series, but especially The Sword and the Flame. The story was gripping and left me wishing for more. The ending was good and made me think of many Bible stories as well as a few other stories that I have read all rolled into one. I will definitely be reading more of Lawhead's books.
Helena
Bla bla bla o Deus.... Bla bla bla mais bla bla bla... o Deus...
E por entre os bla bla bla o Deus... Ah não sou digno... Ah que todos me abandonaram... Ah que vou amuar qual puto de 5 anos...
E milagre!!! O Deus salvou o dia! Deus ex-machina ao mais alto nível.

E é este o resumo do livro! Felizmente Lawhead melhorou muito após estes seus primeiros livros, mas este irritou-me.
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • A Wolf Story
  • Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #2)
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Dragon King (3 books)
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • The Warlords of Nin (The Dragon King, #2)