Start by marking “Voices from the Farm: Adventures in Community Living” as Want to Read:
Voices from the Farm: Adventures in Community Living

Voices from the Farm: Adventures in Community Living

The Farm community, in its heyday, was home to over 1,500 optimistic young people and the young-at-heart. Today the Farm is a vibrant, working environment for change. Here members past and present recount some of their more memorable experiences.
Published January 1st 1998 by Book Publishing Company (TN)

Roberta
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
In the early 70's, I visited this spiritual intentional community, a counterculture settlement of hippies, in Summertown, Tennessee, whose teacher and "head man" was Stephen Gaskin. It was an experience I'll long remember--picking vegetables under the hot sun, eating soy ice cream,soy burgers, soy everything! Skinny dipping in their lake, sharing the 2-holer outhouses, meditating in a field on Sunday with 500 others with long hair nourished by soy protein. This book is a collective diary of many ...more
PJ
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A short book (wish it was longer), offering a chorus of varying accounts of life on The Farm (a large hippie commune started in the early 70s in rural Tennessee, they were over 1,000 strong and nearly self-sufficient for many years). I would've liked a lot more stories and details, but otherwise a fine read.
Catherine
May 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hippies
Fun read if you're interested in hippies, communal living and intentional communities. Each chapter is a different person's story about their time on "The Farm" a gigantic commune in Tennesee staterted by a few hundred Bay Area hippies. Groovy man.
Nicolette Froelicher
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
It was an ok book. It took me longer to get through this book than I thought. It's a really short book but I just had a hard time getting through it. Some of the stories in the book are really good and some are a little boring.
David
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A candid look at the history of one of America's most famous intentional communities. We need more communes!
Amelia
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This is about hippie/commune life.Very interesting read. I actually got the visit The Farm when I was a teen.
Courtney
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone else facinated by communes
Super interesting book filled with numerous personal accounts of actual residents experiences on the farm over the past 30+ years of its existence.
Lindsay
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
FASCINATING.

Don't read this for the quality of writing, read it for the personal narratives and stories.

If this is the kind of thing that sounds interesting to you, I promise that it will be!
Christi
Feb 23, 2014
Tammy Latimer
Sep 02, 2017
Sherry Burton
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2015