Start by marking “The High Road” as Want to Read:
The High Road

The High Road

A brilliant follow-up to the Stephen Leacock Award-winner The Best Laid Plans , this deeply funny satire continues the story of Honest Angus McLintock, an amateur politician who dares to do the unthinkable: tell the truth.

Just when Daniel Addison thinks he can escape his job as a political aide, Angus McLintock, the no-hope candidate he helped into Parliament, throws ic
Published September 7th 2010 by Emblem Editions (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The High Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High Road

Start your review of The High Road
Bandit
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that I have a particularly strong interest in Canadian politics, but Fallis' Best Laid Plans was charming enough to want to see what happened next. And so I did, although, like so many sequels, High Road is slightly inferior than its predecessor and absolutely unnecessary. It pretty much hits all the same notes again, not really offering something new and primarily riding on the strength and the aforementioned charm of its rugged hirsute unflaggingly principled and indomitably honest hero, A ...more
Lorina Stephens
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
It simply kills me to give Terry Fallis' comic sequel, The High Road two stars. Throughout the entire reading, and subsequent post-deliberation, I kept wondering why it was did I not only find Fallis' humour lacking, but sometimes outright condescending, and what was it about the story arc left me feeling as though I needed a real, fully-balanced meal instead of some meal replacement drink.

We again spend time with many of the main characters to whom Fallis introduced us in The Best Laid Plans. T
Steven Buechler
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Saddly panned by a lot of reviews, "The High Road" was an enjoyable read for me. It reminded me of my stint in rural-Ontario media and restored my faith in politics. (Well, almost)

-from pg 302

"We cannot make the infrastructure investment that you seek, Mr. McLintock, for two reasons. Number one, we promised we'd cut taxes. And number two, we need the tax cuts to stimlate the crashing economy, and that's what will be in tomorrow's Budget. Period, full stop, end of story."
Angus had been calm up to
Terry Grignon
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fallis writing manages to find a delighful intersection between thought provoking and funny.  I look forward to more.  I have found The High Road encouraging, especially during this often depressing election.  So much so that I keep waiting to hear political commentors mention a Fallis Effect has revolutionized the politics being played in some riding somewhere.  And that the red ribbon idea actually happened in a real riding
I keep wishing that happened in ours; I hate the campaign signs everywh
Cori
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The High Road picks up right where The Best Laid Plans left us. Good thing, too, since I was hardly ready to leave these characters quite yet. This book find our beloved Angus back on the campaign trail...but this time he actually WANTS it! While I found the first book quite amusing. The sequel is laugh out loud hilarious! Not one I could easily read in public unless I wanted people looking at me funny.

Warning - the next couple of paragraphs contain details of the book that some readers might wi
Lydia Peever
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very pleased to win this in a CBC and Goodreads giveaway, and doubly pleased to read it on the tail-end of an election.

It is hard to describe my attitude going in to reading this book. I am a journalism graduate as of last week. I just published a horror novel, and am a resident of Ottawa who cleaned houses in the Cumberland area. All in all, I wanted to like this book. Hell, I wanted to love it for so many reasons.

I didn't love it. Saying I liked it makes me worry I will give the wrong i
Erika
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this sequel to The Best Laid Plans. Like the previous book, it is well-written and highly entertaining. I wish I could read more about Angus McLintock as he's a very likeable character. Highly recommended!
Karen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book is the usual fun and games with Angus trying to get re-elected. He has to face off against an opponent famous for dirty campaigning (Flamethrower Fox.) What I really enjoyed was the second half. After a terrible infrastructure collapse Angus is tasked with investigating the disaster for the new PM. When it turns out that the reason for the disaster may have originated with his party 20 years earlier, Angus and Daniel have their work cut out for them seeing to it that C ...more
Mary Jane Hele
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved The High Road as much as The Best Laid Plans, perhaps more, as I was anticipating Angus and Daniel's hijinks once again, and was not disappointed. Terry Fallis provides a wonderfully humorous look at politics and politicians. At a time when we are all wondering how did it get so bad it is great to have an Angus to give us hope. For an insider's look into politics on Parliament Hill enjoy a light hearted visit through the eyes of Terry Fallis.
Heather Pearson
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian
totally enjoyed this book. Loved the Canadian flavour, though the humour would not be lost to non-Canadian readers.
Rebecca
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angus McLintock is at it again! It was a pleasure to delve back into Canadian politics with my favourite Scottish engineering professor. This book provides compelling evidence of Fallis' growth as a humourist. The story follows a fascinating, delightful plot that interlaces nuance and absurdity; very Canadian! A worthy, fun read.
An Odd1
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
Looking forward to CBC mini-series on #1 Best Laid Plans.
#2 High Road excerpt
"The High Road" (Angus 2) by Terry Fallis is the campaign direction whereby the Angus effect, candidate integrity, tops important voter issues, defeats muckrakers. Like Gardiner's tragedy "King John of Canada", both narrated by second-in-command, this comedy starts with a naked woman in a boathouse bedroom window. Unlike apparent ramble-cum-portent influence on which to blame his doom and betrayal for downfall of all g
Stephen Foster
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
The High Road is a follow-up to one of my favourite reads in recent memory, The Best Laid Plans. I hesitate to call it a sequel, because it's basically a direct continuation of its predecessor. It picks up almost exactly where The Best Laid Plans left off, and apart a few bits of exposition designed to bring new readers up to speed, one could probably simply staple the two manuscripts together and they would flow seamlessly. That said, I can't say I enjoyed Road quite as much as Plans. I think c ...more
Jean-marcel
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is really cute. It isn't actually all that funny, though, and although some may get more out of the supposed humour than I did, I felt that the author was being rather strident in his attempts to be funny, which just put me off all the more. What's more, according to someone at work who read the prequel, some of the same situations featured in that book are those the author thought so full of hilarity or meaning that they just had to be repeated here.

There's no doubt that Angus McKlint
LibraryCin
It has only been four months since Angus McClintock became the MP for the Liberal party in a longtime Conservative riding, but due to spoilery things that happened at the end of The Best Laid Plans, there is another election already. Surprisingly, Angus has decided to run again. Angus is a rare honest “politician” (but really an engineering professor) who doesn't make decisions based on what's best for him politically, but makes those decisions based on what's best for Canada. This election will ...more
Victoria Allman
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My husband is threatening to throw out all future Terry Fallis books that appear on my dresser as I continue to laugh-out-loud while reading his work. The High Road had me both laughing (apparently loudly) and with a tear in my eye at times. It is not many authors who can acheive that and Fallis does it well.
The story continues Angus McLintock's adventure in Canadian politics after the first book, Best Laid Plans, introduced us to this lovable, opinionated, and stead-fast engineering professor w
Colleen
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, re-read, favourites
After thoroughly enjoying The Best Laid Plans, I was so excited to find a podcast of The HIgh Road. And I devoured it, too. I loved hearing Terry Fallis reading the book - he made it completely come alive for me. The language choice was still sometimes a bit pretentious but I found it less annoying this time around. I didn't feel as disappointed when I finished this one - I will definitely keep reading Fallis' work but I won't be upset if there isn't a third book for these characters.
Amy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice follow up to "the best laid plans", the high road finds us back on the campaign trail, this time with a willing angus. But it gets better once he is returned to office and gets down to work attempting to be an honest politician bringing some integrity to the hill.

I had to stop reading this in the midst of my own legislative melt down, but it is a good read if you don't have to think about politics 24/7, so here is my endorsement of how closely it mirrors "realpolitik".
Linda
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-read, canadian
This is the conclusion to the first book, The Best Laid Plans. Angus and Daniel are now properly elected to the federal government and have been given the task of discovering why a bridge that crosses from Ottawa to Hull has collapsed. Angus, ever the engineer, takes the task very seriously.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Cheryl
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't normally read books about Canadian politics, but this book was laugh out loud funny. It is about a crusty old engineering professor who decides to run for politics. He is supported by the GOUT Squad - Geriatrics Out to Undermine Tories. The GOUT Squad lives at the local seniors home. What a hoot!
Ann Douglas
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fabulous follow-up to Fallis' first book (and the prequel to this novel), The Best Laid Plans. Some of the plot twists seem a bit more contrived this time around, but it's still an utterly delightful romp. And I'm still desperately waiting for an MP like Angus.
Ena Weverink
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
More like 3.5. I enjoyed the first one more and this one is quite similar. great sense of humour infused throughout. enjoyable to read.
Donna
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to "Best Laid Plans". That book had me laughing out loud several times. I can't say that "The High Road" did that but I certainly had a few chuckles.
This follows the unlikely political career of Angus McClintock, a senior citizen more interested in tweeking the performance of his homemade hovercraft, than spending time in Ottawa. However, he has never been one to shirk his responsibility as a citizen of Canada so he jumps into the political fray ...on his terms! His investigat
Mike
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this because I liked The Best Laid Plans and Terry Fallis is visiting a local library.

Overall if you liked the first books you will like this. The book is very similar. There is an election involving Angus and he has a tough opponent again plus a wildcard. And we are off again on a roller coaster ride. All the usual suspects are there, Stanton, the Liberal party leader, Daniel, Lindsey and the 2 Petes.

It was so funny I laughed out loud. Totally impractical, could never see a politician like
Pam
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every bit as good as the first I find I’m drawn to Angus and his entourage as they face the political challenges yet again.
Oh how I wish we had more Angus’ in our political midst than the crass selfish unintelligent buffoons we see at all levels these days.
When I look back on this review I will note that I had to finish this book by Tuesday and return it to my library as the interloan book library no longer exists thanks to one such buffoon who clearly dislikes libraries.
Now on to the 2nd boo
John Perrone
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A decent follow up on Angus and his team as they seek another run at Parliament. A bridge has fallen into the Ottawa river. Angus is tasked to investigate by the Liberal leader and to summit recommendations. Angus has his own way which does not bode well for the new "government" but Angus being Angus he draws the angry of political peoples! Will say there was not enough Pete1 and Pete2! The story moved at a snails pace at times but it got there. Hope Mr. Fallis writes another. Later. Keep Readin ...more
Fiorella Mauro
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A continuation of the warm wish-fulfillment fantasy of The Best Laid Plans, The High Road is a little looser, a little nerdier, a little more comfortable with having us over in its front room sitting on the good furniture. A fun read and a much-appreciated return visit to a fictional Canada where good men achieve good things without worrying about the political cost.

Your move, reality.
Susan
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a funny book with many laugh out loud moments. Angus McLintock is a university professor who, having lost his beloved wife, throws himself into Canadian federal politics with gusto. He follows his own moral code to tell the truth even if it goes against popular opinion or his parties political platform. His political aid Daniel Addison is thrilled but challenged to keep Angus on the high road without completely destroying all of his political capital. Hijinks ensue.
Liese
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think, with our new minority liberal government, I found this second novel even more compelling than the first. I like the humour (mostly) and continuing Daniel and Angus' adventures in parliament. With a focus on infrastructure and how that plays in my real life, I found the sort all too relatable at times. It's also encouraged me to brush up more on my Canadian parliamentary knowledge that I'm far too rusty on.
Carol McKnight
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Terry Fallis’ style of writing and language. I don’t often laugh out loud when I read, but his understated comments and characters are superb. This is a great read in a time of a Liberal minority Government, possibly more true than comedic. It also highlights the need for integrity and honesty in public figures, again very relevant in the current environment. Very well done! Highly recommended!!
Terry Fallis signs deal for two more books with M&S Canada 1 5 Jul 23, 2013 07:23AM

• The Outlander
  • From the Ashes
  • A Canadian's Guide to Money-smart Living
  • Half Blood Blues
  • Rick Mercer Final Report
  • Chop Suey Nation: The Legion Cafe and Other Stories from Canada’s Chinese Restaurants
  • Grand frère
  • This Little Light
  • Homes: A Refugee Story
Terry Fallis is the award-winning author of seven national bestsellers, including his latest, Albatross, all published by McClelland & Stewart (Penguin Random House). His debut novel, The Best Laid Plans, won the 2008 Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour and was crowned the 2011 winner of CBC Canada Reads as the "essential Canadian novel of the decade." In January 2014, CBC aired a six-part television ...more

News & Interviews

“A life without challenge, a life without hardship, a life without purpose, seems pale and pointless. With challenge come perseverance and gumption. With hardship come resilience and resolve. With purpose come strength and understanding.” 21 likes