Start by marking “The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)

The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)

The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Lam rim chen mo) is one of the brightest jewels in the world's treasury of sacred literature. The author Tsong-kha-pa (1357–1419) completed this masterpiece in 1402 and it soon became one of the most renowned works of spiritual practice and philosophy in the world of Tibetan Buddhism. Tsong-kha-pa took great pa ...more
Published November 14th 2000 by Snow Lion (first published January 1st 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment

Isaac Spencer
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
When I read this book, it feels like Tsongkhapa enters my mind with a bulldozer and a dump truck and cleans out all the garbage hanging in there. He makes me feel that the thing that matters is Buddhist practice. Extremely potent, inspiring, and grounding.
Barnaby Thieme
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism, tibet, favorites
The Great Treatise as a Whole

Although Robert Thurman is disposed to ebullience, I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment that Tsong Khapa's Great Treatise is "one of the greatest religious or secular works in the library of our human heritage." It is a masterpiece of clarity, beauty, and utility, presenting the great scholar-yogi's overview of the stages of practice based on sutra and the Indian and Tibetan commentaries, from its initial stages to the its most profound contemplations on the fi
Mckinley
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
Very important Tibetan Buddhist work. volume 1 of 3. While helpful, this book should be read after a great deal of classic Buddhist writings. It is a commentary on these other works seeking to remind and reform 14th century monastic life.

See The Way to Freedom by H.H.D.L. which parallels the concepts of this set.
Priscilla
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book takes a dedicated reader - I read all three volumes and it took me several months. If you are interested in the Gelug School of Buddhism, this book contextualized many others books that I have read in this area.
christine
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is sort of my Buddhist dharma text so I'm always reading this.
Anouk
Dec 17, 2007 rated it liked it
A bit dry for me but sill a great overview of the tantra and sutras of Tibetan buddhism, with scholarly works reviewed.
David Joseph
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
My Meditation Master!

The philosophical and structural schematic of Gelugpa Buddhism based on the explications of Candrakirti and Nagarjuna.

Sooo, basically it's commentary and elucidation born of commentary and elucidation of the Dharma of the Tathagata.

If a guy is desperately passionate about the Dharma, this bone is worth the trouble of getting his hands on.

Be prepared for a tremendous amount of supplemental reading.

It took me about three years to give this the treatment that I thought it warra
Marian
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great!
Cindy Atha Weldon
Buddhism revealed

Excellent source for those wanting insight into the dogma and discipline of Buddhism. Understandable even to readers with Western sensibilities.
Greg Schmidt
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist-studies
Clear and accessible translation. Very readable. As always, Thurman's intro to the text does more than just provide a bit of context. It's worthy of careful reading, just like the text itself.
Stephen C
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this very readable. I was only able to grasp a small piece of this first volume, but I'll read it as many times as it takes to grasp more.
Joe
Nov 09, 2012
Malaysia
Mar 08, 2018
Ramo Boer
Oct 06, 2013
Sattva
rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2016
Feb 20, 2018
Bhatara Wasu
Sep 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand: A Concise Discourse on the Path to Enlightenment
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
  • The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
  • The Flower Ornament Scripture: A Translation of the Avatamsaka Sutra
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • The Blue Cliff Record
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Diamond Sutra
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti: A Mahayana Scripture
  • The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga
Je Tsognkhapa (Tib.: tsong kha pa, ཙོང་ཁ་པ། "The Man from Onion Valley") was a monk of the Sakya tradition of Tibetan Buddhism whose activities led to the formation of the Geluk school, though he never announced the establishment of a new monastic order himself. He is also known by his ordained name Lobsang Drakpa (blo bzang grags pa) or simply as Je Rinpoche (rje rin po che).