Start by marking “From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend” as Want to Read:
From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend

From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Many are familiar with Joseph Campbell's theory of the hero's journey, the idea that every man from Moses to Hercules grows to adulthood while battling his alter-ego. This book explores the universal heroine's journey as she quests through world myth. Numerous stories from cultures as varied as Chile and Vietnam reveal heroines who battle for safety and identity, thereby u ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by McFarland & Company

To ask other readers questions about From Girl to Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Girl to Goddess

Nandakishore Varma
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been influenced a lot by Joseph Campbell - in fact, my whole worldview underwent a total transformation when I read The Hero With a Thousand Faces in my late twenties. I found a way to reconcile my atheism in the real world with my spiritual aspirations in the creative world through the writings of this path-breaking mythologist.

But there was still a nagging sense of incompleteness. Campbell talked of the "Hero"'s journey - an exclusively masculine viewpoint. I found it very hard to accep
Tamora Pierce
Frankel has been working on this book for a long, long time, and I've been waiting for it for a long time! She sifts through the world's myths and legends and their variants, all featuring female heroes. This is a world analysis, with as much attention paid to Asian, African, aboriginal, and peoples of the oceans as is paid to western tales. Frankel points out how many stories were used to teach young women their role in relation to men, mothers, families, their children, and villages far more t ...more
Valerie
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Editorial Reviews

Once you read this, you’ll never see the female journey the same way again. This book is a fascinating and engaging explanation into the feminine journey and a real treasure of storytelling. It’s at once academic in scope and yet accessible to the layman reader. It contains masterful storytelling and retelling of the myths that are used to support the thesis of the feminine journey.

-Sacramento Book Review | San Francisco Book Review

From Demeter and Persephone of ancient Greek m
Chris
Skip this book and read Women Who Run with the Wolves instead. Honestly, if you are going to talk about how a myth reflects women, use the actual myth instead of the liberatto by Wagner.
kari
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Great food for thought, however sometimes Frankel's claims feel a bit stretched. I do appreciate though her choice of myths and stories from all over the world, and the way she engages in discussion with pop-culture as well.
Cara Marie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an interesting enough book, but not overall convincing. Because it dealt mostly with fairy stories, there was little in it that illustrated the complete journey that Frankel describes – each story would tend to cover only parts of it, which makes it difficult to see a pervasive pattern. I would go along with her argument for the course of each chapter … but I never felt I saw the whole thing in its entireity.

I think the book would have been better served by not limiting itself to folklor
Donna
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Who knew those familiar fairy tales we all grew up with as children could be so relevant, enlightening teens and adults to the workings of our modern world? Laced with familiar and not so familiar ancient myths and tales with variations on the same themes, Ms. Frankel's book. "From Girl to Goddess" explores the meanings behind the stories and the lessons they hold that still ring true today concerning relationships, abuse, greed, life cycles, life styles, the powerful and powerless and much more ...more
Unorthodox Mama
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Rating:4/5

I love mythology. I love it even more when I get a nice surprise and land in a book that has a nice mix of rare content you don't find in every other book out there.

I was surprised to find the myth I got my daughters name included in this book. Especially given how hard it was for me to find anything on that myth when I was choosing a name.

My favourite section was the "Two Spirits". New territory for me and very interesting.

If you're looking for a book that covers the myths you love an
Christie Maurer
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely superb detailing on how the Heroine's Journey unwinds--and is so different from Campbell's well-known Hero's Journey. In the Introduction, Ms. Frankel says, "The heroine's true role is to be neither hero nor his prize." Rather than conquering through war and battle, the heroine wins through patience, fortitude, and wit. Her goal is not to rescue the princess but--of interest to Romance writers--to re(gain) family.

Using myths and folklore from many cultures, Ms. Frankel portrays the
Lewis Book Reviews
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in mythology and fairytales. Not only does this book focus on stories of the heroine, it focuses on the heroine from a wide variety of cultures across the globe. Each story is first told in its entirety and then examined. Instead of being organized by country, the stories are separated into the types of journeys the hero, or in this case heroine, takes. There is also a section on archetypes, giving stories that exemplify the different types of ...more
Jason Stewart
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has been a excellent read, meeting up to my expectations. Frankel has synthesized the Joseph Campbell model, bringing in the long-marginalized tales and myths of the world's great feminine heroes. But more than just restatement of the hero's journey, she incorporates Freud and Jung superbly, giving the reader the framework to see the influence the Feminine image has had in world religion and mythology. Long overdue and a must-read for this generation's authors and scholars.
Regina
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kira Brighton
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A round of applause for Valerie Estelle Frankel! Though a bit disorganized, this book is a necessary companion to THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES. I learned a lot just from this first read, and I'm excited to get my own copy to annotate (not something I ever thought I'd say, as I'm generally not into annotating books).
Chandra Ryder
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read on the history of myth in fairytales and how they evolved as they were passed down from generation to generation orally by women. It was confusing to follow at times, but once I realized it was more of a history on myth's and how they evolved - it was much more enjoyable.
Elisabeth Waters
This is very useful as a reference book, and it contains stories I haven't heard before (even in my college class on Folklore and Fairy Tales). I could, however, have done with more emphasis on folklore and less on psychology.
CS Peterson
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exhaustive encyclopedia of worldwide girl and goddess stories. Great reference - though interpretations and analysis are sometimes a bit contradictory it is valuable as a reference that fills in gaps, complements and expands on Campbell's male centric monomyth.
JonnaLynn Mandelbaum
An amazing reference about myths and stories of strong women across cultures. Easily read. It makes sense of stories that otherwise can seem negative or disparaging of women. A great resource for anoyone writing about women and women's issues today.
Bridgett
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Filled with fairy tales and mythology to demonstrate the female's version of the "Hero's Journey" made popular by Joseph Campbell.
Tarran
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Very informative and helpful in plotting the course of a strong female character!
Antonina Neva
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • Black Wings and Blind Angels
  • Warrior Women: An Archaeologist's Search for History's Hidden Heroines
  • Still Brave: The Evolution of Black Women's Studies
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • Suddenly Sixty And Other Shocks Of Later Life
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • Ravaged Bridegroom: Masculinity in Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 41)
  • Biography: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
  • Spinning Straw into Gold: What Fairy Tales Reveal About the Transformations in a Woman's Life
  • Waiting in the Wings: Portrait of a Queer Motherhood
Valerie Estelle Frankel is the author of 50 books on pop culture, including Doctor Who - The What, Where, and How; Sherlock: Every Canon Reference You May Have Missed in BBC's Series 1-3; Who Tells Your Story?: History, Pop Culture, and Hidden Meanings in t Hamilton; and How Game of Thrones Will End. Many of her books focus on women’s roles in fiction, from her heroine’s journey guides From Girl t ...more
More about Valerie Estelle Frankel...