Start by marking “Ange ou démon? (Collection Frissons, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ange ou démon? (Collection Frissons, #6)

Ange ou démon? (Collection Frissons, #6)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  1,160 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Pour les jeunes a partir de 13 ans. Collection "Frissons", #6. Titre original: The Lifeguard.
157 pages
Published (first published June 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ange ou démon?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ange ou démon?

Sandra
Kelsey Tanner goes with her mother to Beverly Island for a vacation for a couple of weeks. Her mother's boyfriend, Eric, invited them to visit him at his home on the island where he's staying for the summer, spending time with his children (his two sons, Justin and Neale, and one daughter, Beth). When Kelsey and her mother arrive at the island they are met by a distraught Eric. He tells them his thirteen-year-old daughter Beth is missing. There are search parties out looking for her. Beth's belo ...more
karen
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-faves
this has nothing to do with this book, but i finally saw the video for it today (even though i swear i am doing homework and studying - i totally am), and it made me laugh, having always been a fan of the song. this book is also good, or it was when i was thirteen or so.

but enjoy this, please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRJ6j...
Rebecca McNutt
I bought this book and unfortunately ended up liking the front cover (that wavy title font is SO far out!) more than the writing inside. It's not that the author didn't do a good job with her writing, it's more a matter of content. I've read several other YA mysteries that follow the exact same plot lines and ideas, and this book was easy to predict.
Sati Marie Frost
This is a truly odd book. It's one of the first Point Horrors I owned, back when I was 8 or 9, but I couldn't really get into it well back then. I know I read it - I can tell from the cover that it's been read a lot, LOL - but I didn't really remember it very well.

Richie Tankersley Cusick is an interesting writer. Her writing style is more subtle than some of the other Point Horror authors like Diane Hoh or R.L. Stine, perhaps a little more sophisticated, and as a result I think she probably app
BookCupid
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, own
Nostalgia read.

Kelsey arrives on the island to meet her mother's boyfriend family. But she soon finds out that the youngest of his children has disappeared and is presumed drowned. With three handsome lifeguards surrounding her, Kelsey should be safe from the water, or is she???

I used to love reading these. Except this time around I found the plot didn't make much sense. There has to be clear motives for everyone's actions, particularly evil ones, and instalove is better left aside.
Trisha
Georgina Merry
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over and over as a teen. I loved it. I bought a copy recently, not only to reacquaint myself with RTC's work, but for research purposes. It's almost a different book, as the characters have taken on new appearances in my imagination. This is down to the author's ability to describe physical features in a non-restrictive manner.

Still, this book isn't without flaw. Am I the only one to notice that Justin' s eyes change from brown to blue throughout the course of the story? Having
A.
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls, 8-18
I first read this Christopher Pike style book at some point in elementary school and have re-read it several times since. It's not the best written book and it's certainly not literary, but it's a fun novel with intriguing characters and I will likely read it several more times :). P.S. "Don't call for help. He may just kill you."
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This was a 'back in the day' read... but you know what? It's STILL on my shelf. That says something right there! And this got the JLA stamp of approval as a book she loved growing up. Awesomesauce!
Felicity
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I adored Point Horror books when I was about 12, and I came across 3 of them for 50 cents each I couldn't resist.
Lame; yes, but oh so much fun :)
April
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Read this in middle school, it was fairly good. I believe I read it in a day.
Caroline Bennett
I read an interview with the author where she says she got given the title, strapline and cover. So she had to make their be three lifeguards or there would be no mystery.

Reminds me of: Sunset Beach on a dark day.

"It was probably just a practical joke" moment: (view spoiler)
Alison
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book when I was in my teens and read it time and time again so couldn't resist when I spotted it on Kindle Unlimited some 20+ years later. Was it as good as I remembered?

I think the answer to that was always going to be no. Don't get me wrong I had an absolute blast reading it again, and it is a very easy and addictive read, but now that I'm older I couldn't help finding little flaws and things to criticize.

At the time this was originally written this was a new genre so
Angela
Another childhood reread.
This one, for me, is not as good as the others I've reread so far. Mainly due to the protagonist, Kelsey, being a soppy moron. I'm sure I would not have thought this when I first read it many moons ago, but as an adult, it seems some things in this novel just don't make sense. Like the parents just buggering off to the mainland and leaving the kids by themselves without telling them. In fact, the complete lack of parental and adult responsibility at all in this book is
Kari Jean
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fun read! Takes me back to middle school when I read it the first time.
Kaitlin
This book was introduced to me by my history teacher. We have reading break and she decided to read this to the class. However, everytime she reads she always pauses and than starts her own story of her own life, which takes us longer to fnish the book. It took my class 3 months to finish the book. That's long for me! I can read a book in 2 hours or less! Anyway, I liked the plot of the story, how there was a serial killer on the loose. I knew it was one of the lifegaurds, and I guessed one of t ...more
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-bg
PurplyCookie
Kelsey's summer should've been paradise: surrounded by the gorgeous beach and adorable lifeguards. Ominous things started happening, first with the appearance of a note under her pillow from a girl who's missing. Then there's the crazy man in the lighthouse who won't leave her alone. Lastly, the mounting number of disappearances and suspicious drownings in the area.

So many red herrings are thrown into this plot that it seems almost logical when the killer turns out to be the one man both Kelsey
Paul Kim
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richie-cusick
Actual page number: 212 pages

Okay, the book's predictable, as in you can immediately pinpoint who's the killer's easily but the book does have some merits.

I enjoyed the writing. The writing was descriptive enough to give me picture of the setting is or makes it atmospheric and creepy. Sometimes, the writing seems intentionally as if it's to heighten the creepiness and sometimes it works!

There are a decent amount of suspenseful scenes that gives me a bit chills and some characters were likeable e
Gerard Villegas
Once again I'm thrown back to cheesy horror YA's of my youth and after reading The Mall about serial killer in a shopping center, I've now moved on to a serial killer on a beach. The Lifeguard still might retain the same cheesy factor of what you'd expect in a Richie Tankersley Cusick novel and the same hokey angst that befalls every teenage character in his books. Yes, all the trappings are there and the unbelievability of the main character being fought over by a trio of hunky lifeguards makes ...more
Austin Antonides
Sara
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appropriately read this book in the summertime while we were staying at a house on the beach for a vacation - and I believe I read the book in little more than one day. I loved horror books when I was younger, and I still remember this book vividly. Perhaps the plot might be more obvious now, but then again, maybe it wouldn't? It kept me guessing the entire time about who she could trust, and as it escalated, the tension kept building and building. It was next to impossible to set down!
Candice Mckinney
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelsey and her Mom plan to spend the summer on an island visiting friends. Kelsey does not want to go since she has become afraid of the water after she almost drowned two years earlier. She should be having a wonderful time hanging around with the lifeguards on the beach but girls have been disappearing. There are some good twists and turns. A good light mystery.
angrykitty
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-teens
this was the first cusick book i read, and i remember enjoying it a lot. it was cheesy mind you, but fun. i remember that i was totally confused as to who the killer was, and that that made it awesome....
Nicole
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ya
Re-read this book that I remembered loving as a kid. Well, let's just say that it is very clear that I am no longer the target demographic! Most of the plot didn't make much sense, and the character development was quite lacking.
Robyn Drummond
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Unfortunately I could tell the ending. But since I've been reading these on and off forever it's about time I could tell what's gonna happen. But it is still a brilliant story!! I love the point horror series.
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in junior high and loved it. Prior to the Harry Potter books, it was the only book that I'd read more than once.

I highly doubt I'd like it as much now but I'm sure it'd still be a fun read.
Ranata
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-reading
This was one of those books I read when I was like 13/14 and I remember being sick as a dog and onmy period and my sister bought me an assload of books from the library. I think this was one of them. I don't remember if I liked it but I probably did.
Kristy
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this. I found myself getting thrown off by who was who amongst the male characters as they all seemed very similar. A lot of the dialogues between characters were silly. Not very creepy.
Patrick Ellard
Serial killer story that is a little too predictable. It has some interesting characters and is well written but there is far too much teenage angst and a poor enough climax. An average entry in the Point Horror series.
  • Funhouse
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Phantom
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The Snowman
  • Dream Date
Richie Tankersley Cusick is the bestselling young adult author of over 25 titles, including two adult horror titles, "Scarecrow" and "Blood Roots". Her popularity grew at the height of the horror/YA boom in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly with books like "Lifeguard" , "Trick or Treat" and "Teacher's Pet", just to name a few, allowing her to keep company on the bestseller paperback lists wit ...more
More about Richie Tankersley Cusick

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye