Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving

The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving

(The Berenstain Bears Living Lights)

In The Berenstain Bears and The Joy of Giving Brother and Sister Bear can’t wait for Christmas and all the presents they’ll open. But during the Christmas Eve pageant, something special happens! The Bear cubs learn a very valuable lesson about the joy of giving to others.
Published September 20th 2010 by Zonderkidz (first published September 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving

Andrea
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Heather
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Brianna
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-level
The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving is a story geared towards students ranging from Pre-K to Third grade. The story takes place around the holiday season. The cubs were excited for Christmas and all the gifts to come. In the end, Sister and Brother from their school play learn an important lesson of giving rather than receiving.

Throughout the book, each page has text and an illustration that accurately represents the passages. The images are colorful and full of life. The emotions reflec
Jaime Contreras
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I had volunteered to read at the local library and was asked to select a book to read to the children. I must admit that I was happy to select a new Berenstain Bears' book. Their tales always embrace what is good and wholesome in this world. This was a tale about the warmth that is spread with giving and how it affects the entire family. I smiled throughout and the children enjoyed the experience. This was a joy to read.
Sarah Fortier
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is the worst. For one thing, the Berenstains were Jewish. Another, the Bear Bears don't talk about religion at all until freaking Mike Berenstain (also Jewish) decides to make the Bear Bears super conservative Christians. The Bible passages scattered throughout are really the icing on a really shit cake. I hate every time my kid makes me read a new bear bear book. The worst.
Amie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith
Okay, this never actually said "the meaning of Christmas." It was moral without being preachy, but at the end it felt like something was lacking. Not my favorite in the series. At least Papa wasn't a buffoon.
Candra Hodge
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lesson in a story

Berenstain bears have always been about a family of bears and the lessons the little ones learn. This allows people to easily entertain their kids while teaching them lessons.
Rell
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: brichell-library
Kinda long and draw out. I don’t remember seeing that this was based on the Bible story of Jesus but it was.... really not about the joy of giving but I see Where they were trying to go
Beatrice Pelayo
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was bad I. Hate it

Bad
X-Files
DVD
Noah
Go
Mara
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Would make a great Christmas present.
Nancy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Lovely book teaching the bears the joy of giving.
Matthew S. Zielinski
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The boys loved the story of the pageant and the importance of giving. The questions at the end of the book were helpful in starting a discussion about gift giving.
Rosa Cline
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first Berenstain Bears book I've read from their "Living Lights A Faith Story" series. I loved it! If you are a Christian and or believe in Jesus then you will love these books!

In this one the cubs are in the Christmas Pageant at their church, before that they go shopping for 'others' but they each are thinking of themselves and go the 'cheapest' they could on their gifts so they'd have left over money. But after being in the pageant they both realized the greatest gift of all, and
Stacey
Sister and Brother Bear learn the importance of giving in this sweet Christmas story by Jan Berenstain. The story covers typical Christmas holiday preparations, the Christmas story, and why gifts are given at Christmas. Parents will enjoy reading and explaining this story to their young children. The book I read offered good discussion topics at the end of the book.
Carter Harrison
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mom review: I was really happy to read this to Carter and Harrison. They are currently shopping for gifts for one another for Christmas, and both had been rather stingy with their gift giving. This book was the perfect solution. BONUS: there were some excellent discussion questions at the end of the book, for some really great teachable moments.
Elizabeth S
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
A good moral book. The bear cubs learn the value of thinking of others. I like that at the beginning they are already giving presents to people, but they learn to take the next step, which is to give generously.
Karen
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2014 - I have always like reading Bernstein Bears books and am so glad that we added this one to our Christmas collection. These book shave such great morals and stories that you can relate to. A perfect addition to our library and will be a yearly read during our advent countdown!
Benjamin R
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is good for kids to learn whats right. I think these books show the right way to act and love.

I chose to rate it because l like the way you show children what is right with and through the books.

Chrissy
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-stuff
Brother and Sister Bear learn about the joy of giving all on their own, without any lectures from Mama and Papa. Oh, if only.
ReadingWench
AR 3.9
Christine
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
How sweet! This book has a lovely message and is lots of fun. The illustrations are cute. :) My niece will love it for Christmas.
Robbi Caldwell
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: h-1000-books
Between the typo and the failure to truly deliver the message the authors tried too hard to deliver, I was unimpressed. Think I'll stick to old school Berenstain Bears.
Deana Pittman
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Abbi and I read this one tonight for our nightly Christmas story. it was a really sweet story about the spirit of giving with Biblical references as well! It was a hit at our house.
AshleyiSee
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Classic and adorable!
Kristina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book for kids. my 3 kids really enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this book to others.
August Maclauchlan
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read it again Christmas tradition
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
We love all berenstain bear books!
Courtney North
Apr 08, 2016
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule
  • Franklin's Christmas Gift
  • Lighthouse Christmas

The Berenstain Bears Living Lights (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears: God Loves You! (Berenstain Bears)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule
  • The Berenstain Bears Faithful Friends
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears Discover God's Creation
“On the way, Sister and Brother noticed a group of bears playing Christmas carols. They were collecting money for the needy in a big black pot. Brother and Sister looked at each other, dug into their pockets, and dropped all of their money into the pot. Mama and Papa smiled with pride.” 0 likes
“Berenstain” 0 likes