Start by marking “Carry Me Home” as Want to Read:
Carry Me Home

Carry Me Home

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In modern-day Lander, Canaan Phillips has fled her abusive husband and returned to her fierce Southern Baptist grandmotheris also slowly coming to terms with her painful past and, with the help of her adored Uncle Luke, she is learning to love again. This is a heartrending and luminous story about loyalty, hardship, love, and friendship. It is also a reminder that goodness ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Carry Me Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carry Me Home

Anne
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that evoke the strongest of emotions in a reader, for me, this was not just a story to read, but a bit of a roller-coaster of an emotional trip too. It's only February, but I may have already found my 'book of the year'. It really is a wonderful, wonderful novel and I'd happily recommend it to everyone.

America's Deep South in the early 1900s - a young white girl returns home bruised, with her gown torn. The blame is laid firmly at the feet of the hobo population in town, the
Sam Braid
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. From dramatic start to end. Loved the format of the alternating chapters for characters and time period of the story.
Catherine
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
If I could give a book 4 1/2 stars, this would be the book.
Carry Me Home by Terri Wiltshire really was two books for me. It is the story of Luke, now a grown man. Carry Me Home takes the reader from Luke's birth to a young, abusive mother in the rural south during the time of racism and economic struggles of the early 1900s. We follow Luke's life to the present, along with the life of his great-niece, Canaan. Chapters alternate throughout the book between these 2 main characters.
I loved Luke's s
Anne
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
To say this book starts slowly sounds a bit silly when it begins with a rape and a lynching, but I just want to manage your expectations when you read it - and you must. This is one of those books that gets under your skin and you'll end up unable to put it down. The product of that early drama, Luke, for whom your heart breaks, becomes an abused and neglected child, but experiences times of exceptional love and kindness that you read about through tears. In the modern story Canaan flees an abus ...more
Natalie Richards
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
An emotional roller coaster of a read, found this novel very hard to put down. My heart broke for Luke; the abused and neglected child. This is a book that covers racism in Alabama in early 1900s and moves on through generations to present day. Overall it is a story about love and survival. Loved it.
Chorlette Miller
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first read this book years ago I admit I was confused and I didn't understand it mind you I was about 16 then but I recently re-read it and it had a very different and more poignant effect on it. I really recommend this book as you find a deep understanding of all the characters and really makes you want to look beneath the surface and not judge a book by it's cover!
Missy Cahill
Sadly this story just didn't grip me. I failed to fall in love with the characters and the narrative. It failed to move me, and truthfully, the writing was mediocre. Sorry Edwina! I know you loved this one! Just didn't tickle my pickle.
Sarah W
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The story swaps between the current and history and the background of the key characters are revealed as the book progresses. I couldn't put it down.
Danny Fahey
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read
Naomi
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't put this book down. Excellent. If you're a fan of Fannie Flagg then this is well worth checking out.
Kate Barnes
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
beautifully written but jumped about
Mary