Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide To Colored Pencil: Over 40 Step By Step Demonstrations For Both Traditional And Watercolor Pencils” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
With this easy-to-use handbook, best-selling author Gary Greene provides you with instant access to his best tips, tricks and techniques for creating exceptionally realistic colored pencil artwork. Whether you're new to colored pencils or perfecting advanced techniques, you'll find the answers you need here in dozens of complete step-by-step demonstrations, including: Simp ...more
Spiral, 304 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by North Light Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Leah Markum
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most books that include step-by-step tutorials are infuriating. They skip steps, the style is too wispy to follow, the content is uninteresting (most commonly an obsession with naked bodies). Not this one. The Ultimate Guide to Colored Pencil includes enough steps with enough detail, the style is concrete so I know what I'm looking at, and the content ranges from a wooden wheel spoke to human hands to a stream with rocks. More impressively, it addresses techniques used with different kinds of co ...more
Terri Zelinka
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I've wanted to learn is in this book!

i have read the entire book and cant wait to get started. i have most if the supplies needed or close enough to do each demo lesson. The instructions make sense and will be easy to follow - so here goes!
Tonya Hardin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great information but I wanted more on watercolor colored pencils. Very helpful for beginners.
Tandava Brahmachari
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
The author's style is so extremely realistic that, at the size his paintings were reproduced in the book, I often couldn't tell them from photographs, which made them feel rather pointless. (Especially since I don't find that style particularly inspiring. If I wanted something to look like that, I'd take up photography.) Still, there's lots of good information there. And the color charts for different brands of pencils can be handy if you're trying to match suggested colors with ones from your o ...more
F. P.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
Very comprehensive book. I learned things I'd never heard of, especially about how to fix certain mistakes and about specifically why you should keep colored pencils very sharp.

I've used colored pencils quite a bit, but I've never really gone in depth in that usage--I've never had any lessons on them or anything. Guess I'll be using this book as a lesson.
Rebecca
This might be a good book for someone who wants to learn by the book. Its very clear and thorough, although everything in the book I had already figured out by experimenting, so I'm not sure how to review the book. Didn't do much for me, but is well-done for somebody.
Fiona Cano-lopez
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for anyone wanting to learn the different techniques used in coloured pencil painting. Easy to read, useful information on all the leading pencil brands and the cd at the back was very helpful to watch. A must for anyone wanting to take up the art of coloured pencil work.
Jamie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
A very thorough and interesting grouping of exercises/demos using colored pencils and watercolor pencils, the latter being the reason for my interest. I tried one of the demos and liked it, but was not too keen on the subjects of the other watercolor pencil exercises. A good reference book, though.
Teresa Klenk
Not overly impressed

Could not enlarge illustrations so that the written color placement could be read. While the suggestions for color to be used for each drawing was great, it would have been nice to break each step down in more detail.
Marilyn
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Amazing pictures and easy to understand information about all aspects of using colored pencils. I have not viewed the video but I'm sure it's fabulous. I may even have to buy this book!
Samantha
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informitive

I'm a tutor for art and this aid helps drastically for explaining points and providing details to my student I work with.
Jim
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book fulfills its mission of explaining the author's approach to the use of colored pencils, both dry and wet. Explanations are clear and photos are helpful. Recommended!
Sandy
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive

Excellent book which covers all aspects of colored pencil drawing. The DVD included with the book is informative too. Great!
mary susan kearney
Apr 03, 2017
Ron
Jul 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Rendering in Pen and Ink: The Classic Book on Pen and Ink Techniques for Artists, Illustrators, Architects and Designers (Practical Art Books)
  • 200 Projects to Strengthen Your Art Skills (Barron’s Aspire Series)
  • Colored Pencil Painting Bible: Techniques for Achieving Luminous Color and Ultrarealistic Effects
  • Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books
  • The Art of Perspective: The Ultimate Guide for Artists in Every Medium
  • Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
  • Journal Fodder 365: Daily Doses of Inspiration for the Art Addict
  • The Complete Watercolorist's Essential Notebook: A Treasury of Watercolor Secrets Discovered Through Decades of Painting and Experimentation
  • How to Draw Cool Stuff: Shading, Textures and Optical Illusions
  • Facial Expressions: A Visual Reference for Artists
  • Zentangle Untangled: Inspiration and Prompts for Meditative Drawing
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: People and Motion: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects
  • Dreamscapes: Creating Magical Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds In Watercolor
  • Vilppu Drawing Manual
“Color is gradually applied, or layered, dark to light (on a white or light-colored surface), building increasingly complex values, hues and textures. Although every colored pencil type works well with layering, harder pencils have a slight edge over the softer varieties because the points maintain their sharpness longer.” 0 likes