Start by marking “The Phantom of Pemberley (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Phantom of Pemberley (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #1)

The Phantom of Pemberley

(Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #1)

Happily married for over a year and more in love than ever, Darcy and Elizabeth can’t imagine anything interrupting their bliss-filled days. Then an intense snowstorm strands a group of travelers at Pemberley, and terrifying accidents and mysterious deaths begin to plague the manor. Everyone seems convinced that it is the work of a phantom—a Shadow Man who is haunting the ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Ulysses Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom of Pemberley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom of Pemberley

Marissa
Mar 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Let me put this simply: The Phantom of Pemberley might very well be one of the worst books I've ever completed. I've never been the kind of person who could simply give up on a book. I figure that there are plenty of things in my life that I procrastinate on/don't follow through with that I can't add books to that list. Books are usually a nice, engaging form of distraction, at the very least, a minor form of obsession when they capture me at the right time with the right story or style. The Pha ...more
Diana
Jun 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Since this was a freebie from B&N for the Nook, I guess I cannot complain too much....but I am going to provide my somewhat detailed opinion so someone else in my situation may choose something else form the freebie shelf.....

Let's start with, I enjoy Jane Austen, although I am not really a fanatic. I have even enjoyed some of the quirky Austen-themed novels of present-day girls transported to Austen England, etc. Therefore, when I found myself with nothing to read and spotted The Phantom of
Kim
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one.
Talia
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything that Ms Jeffers writes is worth reading so I would recommend it.

Reread: Loved this book. I reread it to be prepared for His Irish Eve and am glad that I did.
Debbie Brown
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
This struck me as a strange mixture of Ten Little Indians (a.k.a And Then There Were None), the movie Murder by Death, and a sequel to Pride and Prejudice.

A widely disparate group of travelers find themselves stranded at Pemberley because of an intense snowstorm. There are a few strange, unexplained occurrences and eventually multiple mysterious deaths, creating an atmosphere of fear and distrust among those in residence - sort of like Ten Little Indians.

As in Murder By Death, everything is ex
Athena
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Why, why, why, WHY do so many authors of this genre insist on pairing Geoogiana with Col. Fitzwilliam?!?! I understand that cousin marriage was done in Jane's day. Anne and Darcy were supposed to marry. Mr. Collins proposed to Lizzie. Fanny Price ended up with her cousin. However, we are no longer in that time period, and now cousin romance is seriously unappealing! Add to this the fact that he is Georgiana's co-guardian. This adds a creep factor. Oh yeah, and he's OLD. (Don't give me the that's ...more
Dancer
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It drives me crazy when someone criticizes an author for adding parts of the original story line to sequel. That is why I buy a Jane Austen variation. I want MORE Austen. And despite what some believe, MANY people in the world are not familiar with Austen's works. Therefore any writer using her story lines MUST explain the relationships between the characters while establishing a new beginning. Plus, possibly, the author's publishing company requires that the person add Austen's language.

This is
Carly
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed the character development more than the actual mystery. Dr. Darcy's admiration for Elizabeth was obscenely romantic *swoon*. It was interesting take on the futures of Lydia Wickham, Anne DeBourgh and Georgiana Darcy. I would have liked to have seen some loose ends tied up - but over all it was a fun read.
Kasia Burlakoff
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2017
I loved this murder mystery story. It was full of angst and multiple murders occurred. There were many people involved, each one with a different agenda and a backstory. I enjoyed discovering multiple layers of deceit and disguise, though I understand that it might have been a bit confusing for some readers. But it is what I expected from this kind of story.

My favorite part of the book was the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth: strong, faithful, passionate and very sweet. I enjoyed their
Miguelina Perez
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In The Phantom of Pemberley, Regina Jeffers, author of several books including The Scandal of Lady Eleanor, continues the much endeared love story of the key characters of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy.

The Phantom of Pemberley takes place a little over a year after Elizabeth and Darcy’s wedding and both are happily settled in their match. The novel begins with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy getting ready to head into town to pick up Elizabeth’s sister, Lydia.
Jenifer Rosenberg
I believe the subtitle of this books should be "The Awesome, Unflinching Adventures of Mary Sue Darcy" - because, as written by Jeffers, Elizabeth Darcy is super-human. The same woman who was rather choked up in Pride and prejudice to learn of her little sister's scandal was able to take mysterious murder in her own home with stride. The implication is that she and Darcy have such an amazingly, perfect, loving relationship that she need never cry again. In fact, the lingering on the relationship ...more
Diana
May 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Newly married Elizabeth Darcy is about to experience her first true Derbyshire winter. A big snowstorm is on its way and is expected to keep residents of all the neighboring counties inside and immobile for a few days. Arriving just in time for this terrible blizzard is Darcy's aunt, Lady Catherine, with her daughter Anne and her daughter's companion, Mrs. Jenkinson, and Elizabeth's sister, Lydia Wickham. When Darcy goes to pick up Lydia at the Lambton Inn, he generously offers to provide shelte ...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Jun 26, 2011 marked it as could_not_finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unrated, fiction, nook
The author tries a little too hard to copy Austen's "voice" and it fell very flat for me.

"'Must we?' Elizabeth Darcy gave her husband an expectant look. 'I so enjoy being alone with you--away from the responsibilities of Pemberly.'"

Flat yet nauseatingly sappy. Not a good combination for me.

The phrases from Austen's original work that were inserted actually distracted me rather than adding to the book. It was quickly turning into a game of Spot the Original Phrasing.

"Darcy took in her countenan
Mary
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always skeptical when I pick up a book that claims to continue Elizabeth and Darcy's story post-Pride & Prejudice. I have never made it more than ten pages into one, and I figured this book would be the same. More anachronistic attitudes and behaviors, speech, and actions on the part of the characters I love so dearly...but actually, this book stayed as true to the original as I think it could have. I liked the character development of those from the actual book - Lady Catherine, Anne, G ...more
Leslie
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
I liked this book. The mystery is intriguing. The characters are familiar.
JAB
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars: It started out strong and I enjoyed the writing and build up to the murders, but once I reached the middle mark this book really slowed for me. I felt as if there were a lot of side plots that could have been excluded and this book could have been about 50 pages less. Also a lot of new characters were introduced that I just did not care about at all. Also the big "plot twist" wasn't surprising at all.
Hope Reads
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Even thought this was unbelievably cheesy I still had fun reading it. I have a soft spot for P&P continuation stories. I've never read a good one so far, but I keep reading them. Mind you I have to be in a mood to read one. The way I approach these books is with attitude of knowing that most likely it will be bad, badly written, cheesy and ridiculous.
Rifat Salam
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel kind of guilty for the low rating and added a star. This might be someone else’s cup of tea but it wasn’t mine. I wasn’t expected something as well done as PD James’ Death Comes to Pemberley but nor did I expect a bodice ripper. Anyway, I’m not sure how or why I finished it-I guess I always need to confirm whodunnit. If you’re into historical romance type books, you might enjoy it.
Renee
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first pride and prejudice mysteries I read/listened to and I remember loving it so much that I began to seek out pride and prejudice mysteries.
Georgiana 1792
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Delitto al porto di Pemberley

Ebbene sì, Pemberley sembra essere diventata un porto di mare in questo giallo di Regina Jeffers che si svolge poco più di un anno dopo matrimonio di Darcy ed Elizabeth.
A causa di una tormenta di neve, infatti, la locanda di Lambton è stracolma di clienti; ospiti sia attesi che inattesi si riversano pertanto nelle sale della dimora avita dei Darcy. Uno di essi è Lydia, la sorella più giovane di Elizabeth, sposata con la nemesi di Darcy, George Wickham.
Lui, per fortun
Barbara
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by stating that Pride And Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite novels. I love Jane Austen and Elizabeth Bennett is one of the best written female characters I have ever read. So, I have studiously avoided any novels related to Pride And Prejudice, be it a sequel or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Deluxe Edition (Quirk Classics). However, I came across The Phantom of Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery as a free Friday download from Barnes & Noble and decided ...more
Tracy
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pride and Prejudice fans, Elizabeth and Darcy lovers, cozy mystery readers
S. J.
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans already reading Jane Austen pastiches and who love mysteries
Recommended to S. by: Bookshelf
*3.5- 4 Stars*

*The Gush*
Pride and Prejudice...and a mystery. Two of my favorite things in the universe. While not perfect, I found this to be a quite delightful read. I've read a great deal of the published Jane Austen 'fan fiction' and this is among the better ones. Not only does the author avoid placing modern morals on 19th century people, but she does an adequate job of capturing the voice.

Characters:
No characters from the books appear wrong and the new characters are wonderfully described a
Pamela
I have watched, and read all things Austen. This book was so refreshing. First, it was not over the top in flowery gestures, or language. The book seems to pick up ,right where we left them at the end of the movie. A year has passed, and Lydia has asked to come for a visit, since she missed the wedding. The only problem, is the same day they are to pick up Lydia, Lady Catherine, and her daughter Anne arrive, after a long separation, with the Darcy's. The weather has turned nasty, with a blizzard ...more
Kristen
This was an interesting and very unique attempt at a Pride & Prejudice sequel. I mostly enjoyed it but there were some aspects that stretched not only a reader's credulity, but the boundaries of the original story and characters.

A year after their marriage, Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy are happily enjoying their new life at Pemberley. When a freak snow-storm strands a odd and diverse group of stangers at Pemberley, including Elizabeth's troublesome sister, Lydia, Elizabeth does her best t
Ash
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am only on page 6 and I am already highly disappointed in this book. In this very short time I have found the following three things very jarring - thereby distracting me from the story.

1. The authors version of Elizabeth is already straying from Austen's original through her actions and speech - she comes across more weak in personality and dependent.

2. Apparently the man-like figure she sees in the woodland is dismissed by everyone (including Darcy) as a brown bear (when bears are not found
Kate
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Happily married for over a year and more in love than ever, Darcy and Elizabeth can't imagine anything interrupting their bliss-filled days. Then an intense snowstorm strands a group of travelers at Pemberley, and terrifying accidents and mysterious deaths begin to plague the manor. Everyone seems convinced that it the work of a phantom -- a Shadow Man who is haunting the Darcy family's grand estate.

"Darcy and Elizabeth believe the truth is much more menacing and that someone is trying to murde
Sam
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the first "sequel" book to Pride & Prejudice I have read. It is a stand-alone book and not a part of a series like many of the "sequel" books out and I chose The Phantom of Pemberley because of the mystery element worked into the story, I was not disappointed. I enjoyed this book much more than the other Jeffers book I read "The Scandal of Lady Eleanor" and she did a fairly decent job maintaining the feel and voices of the original Austin characters.

Of course Elizabeth and Darcy are
Elisabetta
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Regina Jeffers ci regala, con questo libro, un ottimo giallo ambientato a Pemberley.
Oggetti e cibi che spariscono, misteriose morti e un fantasma che si aggira tra le ombre di Pemberley…
Una Pemberley a dir poco affollata da alcuni semi-sconosciuti (e non) costretti a chiedere ospitalità a causa di una tormenta di neve che blocca ogni via e riempie la locanda più vicina.

Tra gli ospiti troviamo anche Lady Catherine, costretta a chiedere l’aiuto di Darcy per una faccenda “strettamente personale” (f
  • The Plight of the Darcy Brothers: A Tale of Siblings and Surprises (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 2)
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • The Trouble with Mr. Darcy (Darcy Saga #5)
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • A Wife for Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • To Have His Cake (and Eat It Too): Mr. Darcy's Tale (Pride and Prejudice Untold #1)
  • Darcy's Voyage
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)

Regina Jeffers, an award-winning author of historical cozy mysteries, Austenesque sequels and retellings, as well as Regency era romances, has worn many hats over her lifetime: daughter, student, military brat, wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, tax preparer, journalist, choreographer, Broadway dancer, theatre director, history buff, grant writer, media literacy consultant, and author. Living out

Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery (4 books)
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #2)
  • The Mysterious Death of Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin  (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #4)