Start by marking “Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)

Babylon Rising

(Babylon Rising #1)

Tim LaHaye created the Left Behind Series, which has become one of the most popular fiction series of all time. Those novels, with more that 50 million copies sold, presented a unique combination of suspense and substance drawn from his lifelong study of Biblical prophecy.

Now Tim LaHaye has created a new series that begins with Babylon Rising. The novels in this new series
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published October 21st 2003)

Laurie
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After reading the Left Behind series, I was curious about some of the other books written by the same authors so I picked up Babylon Rising and decided to give it a try. It was an excellent book! Babylon Rising introduces the reader to a biblical archaeologist named Michael Murphy and sends us along on his adventures to find artifacts that will authenticate the stories of the Bible. In this first book in the series, Murphy is led by a mysterious man named Methuselah on a dangerous treasure hunt ...more
Dan
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
If you don't believe in God, this book might just change your mind. This book is about Michael Murphy, a professor/archeologist who dedicates his life to authenticate the bible by finding biblical artifacts. In this book Murphy focuses on finding the brazen serpent that was given to Moses when he was in the desert and thought to have been destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon. It is a fast paced book without any dull moments. This book is filled with action, history, love and death, a ...more
Jen
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-owned
Babylon Rising is an adventure featuring Michael Murphy, an Indiana Jones-like character who is an archaeologist, Bible scholar, and professor all rolled up into one manly man. Unlike Indiana Jones, Murphy's main passion in life is to seek out real artifacts to support the writings in the Bible. The story begins with Murphy engaged in an deadly challenge to obtain an archaeological artifact which gives him some valuable clues about a bronze serpent reputed to be from the era of Daniel.

While ther
Paul Lunger
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start to the latest series by Left Behind author Tim LaHaye, "Babylon Rising", is an fast moving tale of history, intrigue & religion molded into one. The main focus of the story is Professor Michael Murphy who searches for an artifact that could prove the existence of the prophet Daniel. The story also revolves around a group called the Seven whose ringleader Talon tortures Shane Barrington & uses him to aid in terrorist activities for their group against the Catholic Church. The st ...more
Damon Gerber
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
February 8, 2013
Currently I am on page 129 of Babylon Rising. Something that has stuck out so far in this book is the main character Michael Murphy. I admire him the most because he sticks to his faith no matter the circumstances. He has been faced with many tough challenges including going against a lion, ridicule for his faith at the college he teaches at, and potential loss of job, and yet he still keeps a positive attitude and his face looking up. Even though this book is fiction, his motiva
Jamie
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Hooray! The Christian Right has found a charismatic professor/hero who saves the world from the evil international group conspiring to unite the world under one global order... under Satan! Part Indiana Jones, part Robert Langdon, and 100% evangelical Christian, Michael Murphy fights intolerant college administrators, the manipulative mass media, and a very, very evil man with a fondness for falcons while trying to prove the truth and prophecy written in the Bible.

This is a good alternative read
Angela
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for someone who likes archaeology (like me)! Besides the suspense, I kept reading to find out if they would be able to get the wanted artifact. The entire Babylon Rising Series is good!
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even if you absolutely hate books, you most likely have heard of the Left Behind series. For many people, that bestselling apocalyptic saga is all they have experienced and/or know of when it comes to the world of Christian fiction. That's actually a shame, in my opinion; although the story contained in those books is good, Jerry Jenkins' shoddy writing style made it hard for me--a longtime reader of Christian literature--to stomach even three books' worth, which amounts to less than twenty-five ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I though it was cool that an author could think of two different alternatives to the end times. I would write just one and stick with it....he's must have a good imagination.

I personally loved the book. The pacing was great, and the first chapter grabbed you by the hand and took you in!

The pyramid of the wind was totally cool. And Methusalah (sp?) sounded kinda creepy...I wonder how he got all of his artifacts?

The golden serpant was a need idea, but the idea that the statue of the King of Babal
Anita Rudd
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Chelsea
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I apologize in advance for the length. You have been warned (or challenged, if you prefer).

Babylon Rising is Tim Lahaye's fictional account of a Biblical archaeologist who gets caught up in his own series of unfortunate events in search of a mysterious Biblical artifact that can prove the credibility of the Bible. Along the way, however, he not only discovers that this artifact holds a secret that is darker and more ancient that he realizes, but also that there are those following his every step
Jaime
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I love the idea of this series of books. Relearning the bible stories a different way is cool.
But there is something that makes me dislike the author. I have read a few books from this series and what bugs me so much is the "voice" he uses with the character of the main character's assistant. It's almost as thigh he makes her act dumb because she is a woman. He describes her as really smart but the things that he has her say are insulting to the intelligence he presents her with.
Jeanie
Feb 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Didn't get through the first third. I enjoy religion as much as the next Christian but there was a little too much testimony in this author's style. I enjoyed the Dan Brown books, though, so I know that it can be done. Shallow am I, I know...
Katrina Bergherm
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
Eh. It has potential but I really didn't like how everything seemed to come so easy to the main character. He wanted to find something, and he did. There was action, adventure and love lost...all features of a great book...but I think there should have been more struggle.
Jan Chancey
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very suspenseful!!!

Great story. Loved it will download book number 2 today. Tim LaHaye is one of my all time favorite authors!!!!
Purpleholic
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It only took me 2 days to read this one. I just couldn't put it down, I was hooked. The story line was great and I thought it proceeded at a nice quick pace.
Susan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, audio-book
This was an exhilarating book. Looking forward to the entire series. Murphy is an interesting character. The ending was a cliffhanger. The narrator was excellent as well.
Jodelieh Blue
Tim LaHaye
Binnen de Christelijke wereld is de serie 'De Laatste Bazuin' van Tim LaHaye en Jerry B. Jenkins een begrip en het is zelfs een hype geweest. Er zijn zo'n 80 miljoen boeken van deze serie verkocht en zijn bestsellers geworden.
LaHaye, een dominee uit San Diego, Californië schreef naast deze invloedrijke serie nog veel meer boeken. Naast de fictieve boeken, waar hij om bekend staat, ook meer dan 60 niet fictieve boeken over heel veel verschillende onderwerpen, maar, zo zegt hij zelf, sch
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tim Lahaye has written a wonderful start to a series called Babylon Rising.

In this first of the series you meet biblical archeologist Michael Murphy. Professor Murphy is known as finding proof that the stories in the Bible are true by finding artifacts that are mentioned in it.

Murphy gets a clue on one of these artifacts and goes on a wild and dangerous adventure to locate it.

This book definitely keeps you turning the pages for more!
Tiffany Manning
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Reading more like a first draft of a cable-TV movie, authors Tim LaHaye and Greg Dinallo pen an incredibly disjointed thriller which features an implausible plot and incredibly wooden characters.
If you like heavy-handed, moralistic messages, this book may be right up your street. But if you are someone who looks beyond the obvious and seeks to find answers in a more subtle or enlightened way, don't bother with Babylon Rising.
Jason
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-completed
Giving this book 5 stars because I enjoyed it immensely and jumped right into Book 2. My only criticism is that the final several scenes happened so quickly, and predictably, that I felt like I didn't have time to invest in the action. With 50 pages left, I was wondering how the final two mini-adventures were going to fit. They did, but they felt rushed.
Carrie Milkanin
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting a lot more. It was average writing and I thought it would really have me opening my bible and having me compare truth. Maybe the next book will. Seemed like I was doing a lot of that in the Left Behind Series.
Susan Robinson
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always loved archaeology when I was younger and it is exciting to see it explored to prove prophecies of the ancients are true, especially, Daniel. I know this is only fiction, but it brings to light many of the things we have to look forward to.
Ashley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Tim LaHaye. I enjoyed reading this book because it was very entertaining. I thought the novel was well written with plenty of action. The book was fast paced tale of history, intrigue, and religion. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I would recommend it because of the awesome story.
Sandy Moffett
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story - Needed a Better Editor

I loved the back and forth of the battle between good and evil, and I will certainly read the next book.
I was however really disappointed in the missing words, misspellings and name changes of one of the main characters. I expected more.
Genevieve Florez
Babylon Rising

Tim LaHaye is as usual great at combining Biblical facts in a fictional setting . his Left Behind series flew off the shelves and this series will too. The LORD is using his talents in. Mighty way.
Benny Kjaer
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read.
Kevin
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is just awful. The writing is awful. The characters are awful. The editing is awful.
Jluker
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This story might have been believable except that these magnificent discoveries seem to come too easily and quickly for ole Michael. Fun to read but just not believable.
Jeff
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it

(with spoilers, I suppose. reader be warned)
Goodreads Librari...: Book Series. Dates Confusing! 3 15 Aug 01, 2015 08:07AM
  • Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)
  • Necessary Evils (Left Behind Political #3)
  • Apocalypse Burning: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Lines Are Drawn (Left Behind: Apocalypse, #3)
  • The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3)
  • The Watchers (Abby Sherman, #1)
  • Unholy Empire (Chronicles of the Host #2)
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye was an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.

Babylon Rising (4 books)
  • The Secret on Ararat (Babylon Rising, #2)
  • The Europa Conspiracy (Babylon Rising, #3)
  • The Edge of Darkness (Babylon Rising, #4)