Start by marking “Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall, #3)

Dragondrums

(Harper Hall of Pern #3)

Anne McCaffrey's bestselling Harper Hall Trilogy is a masterpiece of imaginative storytelling. DRAGONDRUMS, the concluding volume is the exciting tale of how Piemur the drummer's apprentice came of age on an incredible journey to Pern's uncharted Southern Continent.
Mass Market Paperback, 193 pages
Published May 1986 by Spectra/Bantam Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Dragondrums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragondrums

Start your review of Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall, #3)
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[2.5 stars] In it's defense, I'm also reading Oathbringer, so everything else seems more lackluster than usual. It was, however, my least favorite of the trilogy.
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mrs. McCaffrey,

What were you thinking? You had done a brilliant job with the first two books in this "trilogy", so please do explain why you felt compelled to switch your focus from our beloved heroine Menolly to her rambunctious sidekick, Piemur? This is no trilogy. Do you think you can just skip ahead three years and make Menolly a peripheral player? Do you think that you can write a slow-moving, rather repetitive adventure story that lacks the resonance of the first two books in this tri
Sebastien Castell
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I'd been thinking lately of the core "rules" of cozy mysteries (if it sounds like I'm going way off-genre here, I promise, I'll get back to fantasy momentarily): no sex, no swearing, no gory violence. These are the sorts of books targeted at adult audiences but which have cartoony illustrations on the covers and tend to be about cats, bakeries, flower shops, and other such natural subject areas for whodunnits (seriously, there are untold numbers of cozy mysteries in those sub-categories). Cozy m ...more
Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book follows Piemur. You first meet him in the first two Harper Hall books with Menolly. He is Menolly's first friend in the Harper Hall. This picks up after the first two books. Piemur has a beautiful Soprano voice as a young man, but his voice begins to crack as he begins to go through the change to becoming a man. This makes everything change for him at the Harper Hall.

He is so unsure of what will happen to him in the Harper Hall once he loses his voice. The Masterharper takes him and ha
Deborah Ideiosepius
The Dragon books were part of the network of books that introduced me in my teen years to fantasy and sci-fi and on re-reading them years later it is encouraging to find them still as well written as I remember them. The plots still as riveting, the world-building still as thrilling and the characters still as good - well, maybe just a tiny bit more teen angst than I look for these days, but otherwise just as good!

Dragondrums is the third of the "Harper" books and though it also works fine as a
Icarus
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Why couldn't she have stopped at two? Why does every fantasy series have to be a trilogy or longer? This mediocre book drags the whole Harper Hall trilogy down with it.
Dan Debono
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my first "adult" fantasy books and I LOVED it! My mom bought it for me one summer and I devoured it (and began my love of Pern). I just started writing little bits for a mid sized daily in our area (or at least trying - I got a couple little mini features in - but I was only in 9th grade!).

Being so moved by this strange (to me) book, I decided to write Anne, never expecting to hear back, but sure enough, a great little handwritten letter found it's way into my parent's mailbox a
Beth
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Now this - this is interesting, because it's so clearly a book meant to be read with information from other books in the series, information that the first two Harper Hall books don't have. There are a lot of political machinations that are only referenced - so much of what's going on in the southern weyr is confusing to me! - and the choice to switch protagonists is an interesting one, too.

The resolution is less satisfying. I have no idea why Piemur wants to stay, nor do I think his motivations
Sotiris Karaiskos
Like many who read this book, I felt disappointed when I started it. I was expecting to read a continuation of the story of our dear Menolly but curiously the author chose to leave it aside and tell us the story of a less interesting character. The only good thing I can find is the fact that, through the story of the central character, we are following some interesting developments like the further maturation of Menolly, beyond that could not find anything interesting. The median rating comes wi ...more
Izzie
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I just wasn't that interested in Piemur's character or storylines. I've enjoyed the Pern books I've read for the most part but I think this will be my last.
Caro
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragon
Each Pern novel can be read as a stand alone, but Dragondrums is the third book in the Harper Hall trilogy so if you want to read the books in the order, head over to Dragonsong (book 1) and Dragonsinger (book 2).

The story starts at the end of Dragonsinger where Menolly is made a Journeyman. Piemur prepares himself for a big event where he will be the lead singer until his voice breaks and he realises that his one and only ability which made him special has now disappeared.
But Piemur is very far
Robin Reynolds
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this book up to read, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a continuation of Menolly's story. I wanted more about her. I wanted to watch Menolly and Sebell develop their relationship! Once again, I had to remind myself that these are not romance novels.

But I quickly got over my disappointment as I was taken into Piemur's world. He is all set to start practicing the part of Lessa in a new song to be performed, when his voice cracks. Piemur has never been thrilled with singing
Joan
The focus shifts from Menolly to a young imp who is at the Harper Hall but doesn't take his skill as seriously as Menolly: Piemur. This is another delightful adventure. I think this book proved so popular that McCaffrey almost had no choice but to include him in further stories about Pern. Again, as in the first two books of this series, these are suitable for kids unlike the regular Pern series. I've reread this series over and over and must remember to do so again in the near future!

Addendum:
Kathy
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I enjoyed this conclusion to the Harper Hall Trilogy despite the fact that Menolly isn't the main character. I like Piemur and enjoyed reading as his story unfolded. There was enough of Menolly & other characters I enjoy to keep me happy. ...more
Gillian Murrell
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the change in focus from Menially to Piemur I still really enjoyed this book. When Piemur's voice broke rather than destroy his career it opened up a multitude of opportunities for him. Piemur soon finds himself using his skills to gather information for the Master Harper. Its entertaining reading about the situations he manages to get himself into and out of.
Caro
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragon
But Piemur is very far from having just this one ability and Master Robinton knows how precious Piemur is. That is why Piemur is seemingly hired as a drums apprentice when in fact he is asked to becoming the Master Harper's ears and ey
Teri-K
I understand why this book disappoints a lot of readers. Sold as the third in a trilogy where the first two books are all about Menolly, and written from her POV, this one relegates her to minor character status and follows Piemur instead. Fortunately I like Piemur and enjoy reading about his adventures, but he's very different from Menolly. Also I think this book works better if you've read enough of the Dragonrider books to understand what's happening on the Southern continent and what the pro ...more
Jeffrey
After devoting two novels to Menolly's struggles at the Harper Hall, McCaffrey changed her focus to Piemur, who played a substantial role in the first novel and the second novel as a foil to Menolly's excellence on instruments. He was a scamp and a rascal and befriended her. At the beginning of this novel, his voice broke, and his role as a singer was dashed.

McCaffrey who wrote the White Dragon barely a year before this book, then can put Piemur on the Southern Continent and describe what happen
Grace
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Don't go into this book expecting much Menolly; this is Piemur's book. He's a pretty entertaining character usually so you'd think that's a good thing, but in this installment he manages to take a personal journey similar to Menolly's in Dragonsong, and frankly he gets a little boring.

We do get some updates on Menolly, but she's older and established within the Hall hierarchy, and McCaffrey's decided to explore other bits of the Pern landscape using Piemur instead. Again, this is good for gettin
Clarice
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, at-home
I remember distinctly not liking this book as much as the other two of this series when I read it back as a child (oh, yes I was doing a reread bit for a couple days), but it turns out that it's actually a fun book! I think it was just that Ms McCaffrey changed the focus of the story from my beloved friend Menolly and moved over to a newer face with Piemur. Piemur isn't a bad sort, just a rather impetuous boy who gets in a lot of trouble. There is some fun with the politics of Pern in the backgr ...more
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly captivating and exciting read. Really makes you feel for Piemur as he tries to find his place as his whole world collapses around his ears, and the journey with him is particularly rewarding when he finds his own purpose. It's a shame that his personality seemed to take a 180 degree turn towards the end, once he met Sharra. What is it about that girl that changes so many endearing boys to snobs? That said, Piemur's snark is still there, and having "accompanied" him on his adventures ...more
Cass
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my friends
The finale of the trilogy focuses is set three turns (years) after the events in the previous two books. This time the book centres around the young Piemur as his life changes due to his voice breaking.

The opening chapters of this book are a little clumsy as McCaffrey tries to weave in the essential parts of the previous two books. However it still remains an absolute favourite.
Tara
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Piemur gets the spotlight he deserves. I love Piemur, but in this book I have a few more issues regarding reactions to something huge Piemur does and the relationship between two characters. Still an old favorite though and I appreciate being able to come to it with a new light.
Amalia Dillin
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Piemur, but I don't LOVE Piemur. And I felt like I just was reading for more snippets of Menolly and Sebell mostly.
Jessie Potts
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is an amazing series and I'm so glad I discovered them again on Audible!
prcardi
Storyline: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 2/5

This final volume of the children's/young adult Harper Hall trilogy shows a McCaffrey more in control of the writing than she was when she started the Pern books but struggling to do new things with the saga. This story follows one of the supporting characters from Dragonsinger through his coming of age. Much like the last two books, McCaffrey's main strength is the ability to create a completely virtuous, likeable protagonist. The story h
Tad Callin
Once again, I find myself inadvertently jumping into the third book of an established series, but this time, it's a story that seems to depend more heavily on understanding the rules of the universe.

To McCaffrey's credit, it is possible to follow the arc of this story without having read other books set in her Pern universe. But if, like me, you have only vague recollections of how this world works, a lot of the mechanics of this world may confuse you. It is assumed that you will know that the h
Meels
I loved it. I’ve seen people say they didn’t like it as much as the first two due to the change in MC. But, I was already familiar enough with Piemur from the later (in time) books that I really enjoyed his story.

However, the editing was dreadful. No idea why. I didn’t have any problems with the first two.

Oh, and I’ve heard this series called YA. While the characters are young in the beginning, there is also shagging in this book. Shagging = not YA, IMO.
Faith Justice
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Finished the third in the Harper Hall trilogy which switched points of view from misfit Menolly to one of my favorite mischievous boys in literature: Piemur, the undersized soprano and con man with a sharp wit and kind heart. When his voice breaks, Piemur needs to find his new place in the world. Another satisfying read, recommended for high school and YA.
Debrac2014
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! I enjoyed Piemur's adventures! And there was enough Menolly scenes to please me!
A Million More Pages: 3 - Dragondrums (Harper Hall): Jul 21 3 10 Jul 27, 2015 02:41PM

• Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Dragon's Code (Pern, #25)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged (Brainship, #7)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Oathbound (Vows and Honor, #1)
  • Summer Campaign
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: All Regency Collection
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Harper Hall of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)