Start by marking “Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences” as Want to Read:
Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences

Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,805 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Reveals the underlying story form of all great presentations that will not only create impact, but will move people to actionPresentations are meant to inform, inspire, and persuade audiences. So why then do so many audiences leave feeling like they've wasted their time? All too often, presentations don't resonate with the audience and move them to transformative action.

Ju
Published September 28th 2010 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Resonate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resonate

Jonathan Brooker
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I struggle to judge this book.

On one hand it was easily one of the best books I've read. I love to communicate and am constantly working to improve how I do that since it's an important part of what I do. So the need was there for a book like this. And then she masterfully paints the connection between story and presentation. That (here we go) really resonated with me. It's something my dad and I have had countless discussions on before. With meticulous care, Duarte brought about visible proof o
Ian Griffin
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: speechwriting
Nancy Duarte has done it again.

Her new book, resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences, is a prequel to the best-selling slide:ology, which set a new standard for excellence in PowerPoint design. Resonate is the book to read before you read slide:ology, because it explains how to understand audiences, create persuasive content and structure a talk before firing up PowerPoint.

The book equals slide:ology's beauty, sharing the same high production standards and stunning graphics. Bu
John-Paul
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: development
I was eager to read a book about presentations...a topic near and dear to the heart of this instructional designer. While I did take away a good deal about some of the prep work involved in transmitting a message to a group of people, I found that most of the book was simply a reaffirmation of things I already knew. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, I guess I was just looking for more learning moments that I could take away to use in my career. The concept of varying messages and the "spa ...more
Andy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Visually appealing book with numerous good tips on presentations.
But it seemed to violate one of its core concepts by being unclear about the audience. I am always wary of learning modules on public speaking that include Steve Jobs and MLK. In my experience, they do more harm than good as teaching examples because they set an impossibly high bar. On top of that, they are almost certainly irrelevant: Steve Jobs because most people don't have an industry-transforming new thing like an iPhone to un
Mohammad Shaker
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is very much of best practices in shaping the idea you want to deliver in a nice, engaging way. The audience is always the hero, no matter what you do, you should always deliver to the audience as they are the core element that determine your success or failure. Always go with a message that guide the audience to do the actions you want them to do. Very interesting, yet entertaining book.
Jeff
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-book-list
If you communicate in front of a group of people (and most of us do in some form or fashion), Resonate by Nancy Duarte is a must-read.

This book also explains why most business presentations are boring.

Here are some take aways from the book:

* The presenter's job is to make the audience clearly "see" ideas. The enemy of persuasion is obscurity.
* Stories are the most powerful delivery tool for information, more powerful and enduring than any other art form.
* You are not the hero. The audience
Szymon Kulec
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't like only two things about this book. The title and the print. The title, because the metaphor of resonating with audience does not work for me at all. The print, because books printed in an unusual way (especially with grayish font, instead of black), take me much longer to read. The rest is pure awesomeness.
Book covers and analyzes many speeches. The dissections are brought in an interesting way, using tooling and categories provided in the book itself. You'll find Luther's "I have a d
Soheil
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It takes a while to get the ball rolling but when it finally does, you can't but marvel at how great it describes what you need to get your ideas across. At its heart, the book aspires to tell you that all you need is passion for your idea (not you) to be heard and adopted and that to stay within the framework of communicating ideas like a music sonata.
The book describes the framework marvelously.
I read this book after finishing Bryan Tracey's Speak To Win and recommend reading both books if you
Mark Terry
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Duarte's core idea of the universal form of story as the basis for great presentations is intriguing. I suspect that I will find it very valuable with practice and reflection. The layout and design of the book is stunning and beautiful. All that said, this one was a bit of a struggle. I'm not sure why, but I found it way too easy to put down. I would recommend it, but more as a cool book to browse through and jump around in than a sit down read
Ganesh Muthupalani
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was interested to find out more about the psychology of presentations. Google "Creating effective presentations" and you get empirical findings such as Speak with Passion, Tell Stories, Body Language. Somehow I chanced upon Nancy Duarte's TedX talk on "The Secret Structure of great talks".

A simple shape she described during the talk got me hooked and made me finish her book, "Resonate", in 2 days. A multimedia version of the book is available: http://resonate.duarte.com/

The greatest talks have
Daniil Lanovyi
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A neat outline of some key concepts for effective communication. Lots of case studies and practical tips. Excellent reference resource when preparing for a presentation or any public speaking.
Jeff Wofford
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary instruction on how to communicate well. I've never seen a book on communication with more practical, authoritative, systematic, yet detailed theory and advice.
Ahmad hosseini
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
If you read this book, you’ll learn how to present ideas that stand out, are repeated, and create change. This book will both inspire and give you the tools to touch, motivate, and encourage audiences not just to listen but to change and do act.
Book describes theory of a good presentation and introduces a tool named presentation form. Author analyses famous perso
Jenny
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book. Gorgeous layout, super insightful tips/models, great tips for using storytelling to build compelling presentations/speeches. Highly recommend this book for anyone involved with speaking or even writing. You might also enjoy the summary from the video on Nancy Duarte's website: http://www.duarte.com/books/resonate/....
Suzanne Chadwick
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My mentor gave me this book to read to give me an overview of how to structure your ideas when presenting to an audience whether it be in training or giving a keynote talk. The book is great. It gives clear ideas on how to structure your talk, what will help with audience engagement and how to make your point stand out. Highly recommended!
Bryan Tanner
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Due to its uncanny similarity to what I was about to write, my entire review of this book is directly lifted from another Goodreads reviewer, Ian Griffin.

"Nancy Duarte has done it again.

Joseph McBee
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. ANYONE responsible for presentations on any level should make it a priority to read and apply this book immediately. Truly one of the absolute best books on presentation skills and design that I have ever had the opportunity to read.
Patrick
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I reread this and it didn’t resonate with me any longer.
Waleed
Carefully construct your message through a story before opening PowerPoint.
How to best craft your story? Read this excellent book.

Next step: Slide:ology
Amy Young
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone who has a message to convey or makes presentations. Love her TED talks!
Kathleen
First off, buy the physical book. I feel like I missed out on the true value of this read by viewing on a Kindle, and the experience by audiobook would not be the full story. One of Duarte’s key insights into presentation form is use of contrast, which she illustrates through use of line diagrams called “sparklines;” these diagrams and the detailed notes accompanying them are likely impossible to see on most e-readers.

I do plan to buy the hard copy of this book because I’d like to refresh in the
Anas Tonmoy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I do believe some books are for a glimpse, some are to read and some are for feeling. This one is a book that comes once in a life. Why? let's talk.
About this book:

This book is about how to build a story and present your idea using storytelling techniques. This a nonfiction book. Truly a book full of thoughts and learning.
In this book, the writer tried to accumulate her real-life experience of presentation but more importantly, she analyzed many famous speeches and their structures. So the rea
Christina Helen Birch
I actually learned a lot from this book, which I put to immediate use in some presentations I've given recently (or will be giving soon). I'm glad I read it, and am sure I will return to reference my reading notes for years to come.

It was a quick read, which was nice.

BUT.

I found the structure confusing. The topics of the chapters aren't clearly distinct, and I didn't find any obvious flow to the way the information was structured. Once I finished reading, I spent a good 2-3 hours restructuring t
Grant Cousineau
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As presentations have become a large part of my job this year, this book was utterly invaluable in showing me how much power a great presentation can hold. By using illustrative examples like TED Talks, President Reagan's post-Challenger launch speech, and Martin Luther King Jr., she dissects these pitch-perfect speeches in ways that show the calculation and effort that goes into every successful speech and presentation. With insightful visuals and an authoritative step-by-step process, I've lea ...more
Isaac Lambert-lin
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is alright. If you get it-- don't get the Kindle version, many images are squished.

Kind of a practical version of 'The Hero's Journey'. One of the most memorable quotes, attributed to Woodrow Wilson:
"If I am to speak ten minutes, I need a week for preparation; if fifteen minutes, three days; if half an hour, two days; if an hour, I am ready now.”

First-- have an idea. Then, the second most important step-- is being able to present it. Practice, practice, practice. This book gives guidel
Lizzie Lowrie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly thorough yet inspiring and challenging book about presenting through storytelling. I have learnt so much that I am already beginning to use and explore when I speak. the level of detail and research in the theory of good communication is astounding and yet it still manages to be fun and creative target than prescriptive and dry with theory. If you have to present, preach or tell stories then you need to read this
Edouard Stenger
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For my MOOC class on data visualization on Tableau, we were prompted to read this book online. It is a great book on how to create engaging presentations that will resonate with your audience.

Even if I had taken classes on that topic for my Sustainable MBA, I still learned a lot reading this book. I would definitively buy a paper copy one day.

Must read to anyone who has to communicate in their job.
Sunayna
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The problem is this: no spreadsheet, no bibliography and no list of resources is sufficient proof to someone who chooses not to believe. The skeptic will always find a reason, even if it's one the rest of us don't think is a good one. Relying too much on proof distracts you from the real mission - which is emotional connection." - Seth Godin.

This book has some really useful techniques (and stories) for effective presentations. I will refer back to them again in the future.
Jays
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesomely presented book- apt to teach the subject it is promoting.

It inspires you to pull your audience into your world through your presentation skills to make them see the point you are presenting!. Loved it thoroughly!!
Must read for Anybody who wants to work on improving their presentation skills or want to train others on Excellent presentation skills
Piotr Stapp
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great portion of real life examples how to improve your presentations. A few examples of speeches are too known, but some were a fresh-air for me.

The only problem I had with this book was the format. A pdf form doesn't render few pages well
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
  • The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell (and Live) the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Multimedia Learning

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Nancy Duarte is an American writer and CEO of Duarte, Inc., a communications firm in the Silicon Valley. She is a presentation specialist whose client list includes most Fortune 500 companies.
“Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” George Bernard Shaw” 2 likes
“The audience does not need to tune themselves to you—you need to tune your message to them. Skilled presenting requires you to understand their hearts and minds and create a message to resonate with what’s already there.” 2 likes