Start by marking “Diamonds Are Forever” as Want to Read:
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond (Original Series) #4)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  12,473 Ratings  ·  648 Reviews
Tiffany Case, a cold, gorgeous, devil-may-care blonde, stands between James Bond and the leaders of a diamond-smuggling ring that stretches from Africa to London to the United States. Bond uses her to infiltrate this gang, but once in America the hunter becomes the hunted. Agent 007 is in real danger until help comes from an unlikely quarter, the ice maiden herself.
Published April 1st 2009 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published June 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Diamonds Are Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diamonds Are Forever

Robert
If I were a woman, I might conduct a séance, and then throttle the spirit of Ian Fleming. He’s not a bad guy, mind you, but just once, I’d like to see a female character give James Bond a run for his money. So far I’m still waiting for a return on my initial investment. And I know this is one investment that probably won’t pan out, but I can still hold onto a faint glimmer of false hope.

Vesper Lynd did come close, but she ultimately failed when paired next to Bond’s wit and charm. Tiffany Case,
Jason Koivu
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime, spy
Bond slips into the diamond smuggling market and the American mafia.

Not a bad installment in the Bond series. I don't recall ever seeing the movie version, so I can't say if they parallel much or at all, but I can say that Diamonds Are Forever makes for a fine little read.

It's not exactly the most exciting spy thriller ever. In fact, there were a number of spots through out the book that had me ho-humming. It seems like Fleming wanted to flex his prose muscles a bit with this one. There are som
Carmen
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bond Fans
James Bond vs. the American Mafia. James Bond's beloved M gives him the assignment to destroy a diamond pipeline. In going after the diamond smugglers, Bond travels to America and is paired up with a woman working for the diamond smugglers - one Tiffany Case. He travels to New York City, Saratoga Springs, and then to Las Vegas.
...

The book, as so many Bond books do, focuses heavily on gambling. We have copious amounts of, not only card playing, but horse racing in this novel. If this bores you, I
Parastoo Ashtian
پس این بخشی از یک رویا نیست و من روی صندلی عقب استادیلاک نشستهام. این دامن تیفانی است که زیر سرم است آن فیلکس است و ما داریم به سرعت به سوی جایی امن میتازیم، جایی که دکتر، حمام، کمی غذا و نوشیدنی داشته باشد و بشود ساعتهای بیپایان خوابید. باند تکان خورد. دست تیفانی را توی موهایش احساس کرد. انگار که بخواهد به باند بگوید همانطور که امید دارد، همه چیز واقعی است. او دوباره لم داد و چیزی نگفت. از هر ثانیه لذت برد و به صدای آنها و صدای حرکت تایرها روی جاده گوش سپرد.

از متن کتاب
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

Again a reminder that these reviews are for the movies by these titles, NOT Fleming's books. I wasn't at all drawn to the book I read, and I've since sampled a few others, and to me they're repellently dated.

So this 1971 outing is based on the 1956 novel, and marks the last *canonical* film Connery made. Never Say Never Again wasn't a Broccoli-produced film, and made use of a story not ever precisely made into a novel, so...

Jill St. John spends a good deal of time scantily cl
BrokenTune
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Slowly the sting slid home into its sheath and the nerves on the poison sac at its base relaxed. The scorpion had decided. Greed had won over fear."

I won't copy all of the opening scene of Diamonds Are Forever, but this is one of the reasons why I keep reading this series - Fleming's ability to write nature scenes is phenomenal. They even make up for his writing about what passes for romance in these Bond novels. But I'll get to that later.

In Diamonds Are Forever, James Bond is tasked to invest
El
So because George Lazenby couldn't make it as James Bond in the previous movie, Sean Connery was back for Diamonds Are Forever, which the trailer (behind the link) points out a whole lot. "Hey guys, we made a mistake with that other guy, but look! Connery! COME BACK!"

Also making a come back with this movie was Shirley Bassey singing the theme song, as she did for Goldfinger. (The theme songs are nearly as important to me as the films themselves.) For those of us who pay attention (or at least re
Richard
5/10

Probably the weakest Bond novel in the series to this point which was somewhat surprising to me as the film is a fond favourite (who would have thought that the screen and page could differ?!). This more felt like Bond visits various locations with a little bit of spying on the side.

The setup is no different to any other, Bond meets M and gets his mission (I do enjoy the relationship these two have), Bond sets off on mission and finds a lady to admire and try to woo (book Bond is not as sua
Cyndi
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do I find myself with feelings of sadness for James and his life of international duplicity? Still, after 4 Bond novels, the end of the adventure leaves me with soft feelings for the often misogynist 007. Who knew???

This was a well crafted piece. Good story, somewhat more assertive female foil and nice continuity. Now to #5.
Matt
'Diamonds Are Forever,' although the weakest of Ian Fleming's James Bond series to this point, is the second consecutive Bond novel to be far superior to the later film version. 'Diamonds' suffers from a sub par plot and a nearly non-existent and overwhelmingly boring villain.

Where the novel does have a redeeming quality, however, is in Tiffany Case, the Bond girl. Case is a stone cold fox straight out of a Depression era noir, and by far the most interesting and capable Bond girl of the series
Jesse A
The blandest Bond volume I've read. Normal amounts of sexism, imperialism, and racism. Rather dull.
Brian Poole
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diamonds Are Forever is a spy classic that brought James Bond back to the U.S.

On the trail of a diamond smuggling pipeline, originating in Africa and moving through London on its way to New York and Las Vegas, Bond goes undercover as a diamond mule. He works with the beautiful but damaged Tiffany Case, hoping to use her connections to infiltrate the vicious Spangled Mob. Old pal Felix Leiter, a former CIA operative who’s moved on to Pinkertons, helps out along the way. Bond has a misadventure at
F.R.
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the strengths of Fleming - which I'm discovering on re-reading these books - is his descriptions of locations. Mid-way through Diamonds Are Forever, Bond goes to Vegas. The portrayal of the desert town with sand blowing over the strip is incredibly well done and really places the reader there. I suppose it isn't just his sense of location, he is also good at capturing the time in which he is writing, really bringing the fifties to live. As oppossed to say a Mike Hammer novel (a character ...more
Bill
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy, thriller
Another entertaining Bond adventure which finds 007 on the trail of an American diamond smuggling ring. It takes him from London to New York and ultimately to Las Vegas. On the way he encounters old CIA pal, Felix Leiter who now works for Pinkertons and makes the acquaintance of lovely Tiffany Case. As always there is lots of action, but many nice moments with Miss Case. Entertaining and an exciting read. It's been fun working through the Bond series again.
Dave
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel guilty about reading the James Bond novels, since Bond and Fleming are racist misogynistic snobs. But sometimes the action pulls you in and you overlook things like ridiculous personality flaws among all the protagonists. With this book, I have no reason to feel guilty, except that I finished it. This is a terrible book with tons of padding and travelogue in between the brief action sequences; it reads like a novella that Fleming's editors told him to triple in size. The final a ...more
Andre
Another excellent instalment in the James Bond series. I have probably read these about three times now.
Quentin Wallace
Bond investigates a diamond smuggling ring in an adventure that brings him back to the states for another meeting with his good friend Felix Leiter. Felix is sporting a hook for a hand and presumably and artificial leg due to the shark attack from Live and Let Die, so that's a pretty major continuity change when compared to the movies.

Actually the books have been very different than the movies so far, in most cases only the title and some of the character names being directly related to the nove
Rob Thompson
Death is forever. But so are diamonds

And so my project to read all of the original series of James Bond novels in 2015 continues! Diamonds Are Forever is the fourth book by Ian Fleming and was initially published back in 1956. In the book Bond smashes a diamond smuggling operation, the pipeline of which originates in the mines of Sierra Leone and ends in Las Vegas. Along the way Bond meets and falls in love with one of the members of the criminal gang, Tiffany Case.

It was interesting to compare
Ariel
By far, my favorite Ian Fleming novel yet! Bravo!

My journey with James Bond has started at the beginning with Casino Royale and has gone in order of publication (according to Ianfleming.com). So out of the four I've listened to in this audiobook journey, this story is by far the best and most interesting of them all.

Just a reminder to the Social Justice Warriors out there that will be offended by derogatory, misogynistic, racist, xenophobic language: Ian Fleming is not for you. James Bond is not
Aaron
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Either Fleming is stuck in a rut or I am. The fourth novel in the 007 series follows the formula that the third (Moonraker) avoided. Bond scouts out his mission, flashes back to Bond's interview with M, infiltrates the villain's organization, meets the girl, etc. As with Live & Let Die, the job is a treasure hunt (diamond smugglers) rather than actual espionage. But because it involves the Mafia, the spy element feels slightly more authentic than it has in previous novels.

Or it would if Flem
Jerome
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much can be said about the literary merits of "Diamonds are Forever". You read it because it's the original conception of an iconic fictional character. You read it for a quaint romp through 50s America as imagined by an Englishman. You read it to draw comparisons with the movie. Yet be warned, Bond doesn't really do much. The reader gets more details on Bond's eating, drinking, showering and napping habits than anything else. The "mystery" is on par with, say, a "Rockford Files" episode, co ...more
Matt
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: Diamonds Are Forever

Maybe you can strike a blow for Freedom, Home and Beauty with that rusty old equalizer of yours. Is it still the Beretta?
-Felix Leiter to James Bond, Diamonds are Forever

With diamonds as the catalyst for action and adventure in Ian Fleming’s fourth James Bond novel, Diamonds are Forever features Bond investigating the diamond smuggling pipeline between Africa, the United States and Britain. When the British government realizes that over two million pounds worth of di
Gerald
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I may have pointed out before on these pages, I have been venturing back into the Bond novels with the idea that the contrasts with 'Sixties sexual mores and concepts of maleness may be enlightening or amusing or both.

Ian Fleming was masterful in his descriptions when the setting was in Britain. And I thought he did a nice job of describing Istanbul, not that I would know from the couple of times I've been there for visits of only a few days.

But sally onto American soil, and, I'm sorry, the v
Morgan
Let me tell you the plot of every James Bond book. It may seem like cheating, to extrapolate the entire set from only 3.5 samples, but I feel justified in doing so given James' particular predictability:

M gives James an assignment, warning him to be careful. James thinks himself above such caution. He meets the female -- she is unattainable and therefore interesting. He meets the antagonist (individual or group). He gains an ally. He gets captured, beat up, and survives great pain and duress. Th
Dave Russell
This was much better than Live and Let Die. The sadism was more sadistic, the suspense more suspenseful, and there's a kick ass chase scene involving a fricking train. Although the main bad guy (actually bad guys--twins) weren't as interesting as Mr. Big from LALD, the two henchmen--Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd (gay hitmen!)--more than made up for it.
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
James bond! Women loving, ass kicking super spy!! Well, not so much in this book. It was readable but a bit dull with the odd smattering of action. Oh and the movie that shares it's name was nothing like this book, in fact it's a rare occasion where the movie is better than the book :)
James
Bond is investigating a diamond smuggling ring. Shades of the film of the same name, but they changed a number of things. As usual with Bond adaptations, the book outshines the film again.
Chuck Slack
Not good. Mind you neither was the movie. Little action and not a great story.
Gregory Baird
"Death is forever. But so are diamonds."

You may recall from my last review that Moonraker turned out to be a terrific little book that was adapted into a seriously terrible movie. As fate would have it, I also despised the movie version of Diamonds Are Forever, but while Moonraker became my favorite book in the series so far, Diamonds became my least favorite in the series (so far).

A large part of that is due to the fact that nothing much happens on Bond's assignment in Diamonds. There isn't eve
  • For Special Services (John Gardner's Bond, #2)
  • Zero Minus Ten
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two
More about Ian Fleming...

James Bond (Original Series) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)

“Most marriages don't add two people together. They subtract one from the other.” 32 likes
“Before a man's forty, girls cost nothing. After that you have to pay money, or tell a story. Of the two, it's the story that hurts most. Anyway I'm not forty yet.” 21 likes