Start by marking “Rebekah (Women of Genesis, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebekah (Women of Genesis, #2)

Rebekah

(Women of Genesis #2)

Born into a time and place where a woman speaks her mind at her peril, and reared as a motherless child by a doting father, Rebekah grew up to be a stunning, headstrong beauty. She was chosen by God for a special destiny.

Rebekah leaves her father's house to marry Isaac, the studious young son of the Patriarch Abraham, only to find herself caught up in a series of painful r
Published March 27th 2012 by Forge (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rebekah, please sign up.
Joelle I didn't read them in order- so long as you understand the Bible they should make sense on their own! :)

Nola Redd
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians, Old Testament readers, mothers, wives, sons
Recommended to Nola by: Orson Scott Card
When it comes to scriptures, we tend to endow the people in them with clear-cut shades of black or white. “Isaiah was a prophet, ergo he must be perfect.” That is why some of the humanizing stories from the Old Testament can be so confusing, the story of Isaac, Jacob, and Esau surely chief among them. Did Jacob really buy the birthright for a mess of pottage? And what’s up with the trickery involved in the actual blessing of the birthright? In Rebekah, Orson Scott Card writes an insightful story ...more
Rachel M
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Does anyone else find it interesting that Orson Scott Card wrote these three books about the women of Genesis after writing so many successful sci-fi novels? That was primarily the reason I picked this book up.

I loved this interpretation of Rebekah, mostly because she is always so sure of herself and her convictions. She calls her parents out on things when they get it wrong, pointing to the ideals of their faith in the God of Abraham. She is filled with zeal,sure that everyone else must see i
 ☆Ruth☆
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing... definitely not of the same standard as his previous book 'Sarah'.
I struggled to finish this one, I found most of the characters unlikeable and the style very introspective and maudlin; the language & behaviour of the protagonists is very modern, there is little action and I didn't feel much sense of the ancient world.
Michelle
Nov 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Get to know the women of the Bible. It is a historical fiction but leaves an impression on your heart. You will always remember the scripture story from now on because you feel like you personally know Rebekah.
Jamie
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My husband got me 3 of the Women in Gen series for my birthday, and I am so glad he did. These are written as "fiction" but it is evident that there is a lot of research put into it as well. Card portrays an honest view of Jewish life far surpassing the vulgar cave-man "Red Tent" version. My copy of Rebekah has an endorsement from the Jerusalem Post on first page which says a lot about it's accuracy. Also commendable is the fact that Card does not alter the Genesis account. What he adds gives de ...more
Charlotte Guzman
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this one a 3 1/2 stars.
I love stories of the bible told in a novel. This one was good, not great. I really wanted to like it better than I did.
The story of Rebekah, wife to Isaac (son of Abraham). I would have liked to hear more of the culture of the times to give me more of a feel of the times. Not so much.
The one thing I didn't care for was the author had the characters talk in a modern way and didn't give me a sense of the times.
Anyway I might read another book by this author on bib
Gary
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel by Orson Scott Card about the life of the matriarch Rebekah, is at once moving and engaging.
Unlike some novels, such as Sarah by Marek Halter and The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant, where the women are portayed as worshiping idols and other gods, she is shown as a strong women, devoted to the service of Yahweh since she was little, as are the other matriarchs in the Women of Genesis series.
Card has done a great job of filling in the gaps and bringing the women of the Bible to life.
The dig
Gayle
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I have liked Orson Scott Card's other books on women of the Bible but was disappointed in this one for I was very uncomfortable about the way he portrayed Rebekah and her family and mostly with the image that was depicted of Abraham and Isaac. This is not the way I want to think of them. It is an interesting and well written book, but my opinions seem to be different than the author. I know that we have to remember that this is fiction written about real people who we don't have very much detail ...more
Elar
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
It was same as first book in series - same dilemmas, same problems and similar solutions. And clearly I am not the audience :)
Matthew Sampson
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As with Card's other biblical fiction, Rebekah tells the familiar story in a very real way. Card's strength is with his characters, with the very real and very familiar struggles they face that make them entirely real people. So many things that seem black and white in the Bible story—parental favouritism by both Isaac and Rebekah, numerous layers of deception, and so on—are put in the light of humans struggling with what they believe to be right and what they believe to be God's will.

Biblical f
Amber
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Eh.
It was not the lack of swash-buckling, swordplay, magic, Austen-worthy wit or romance that left me unimpressed, it was the bleakness and constant fretting of the characters. Isaac was weak and self-doubting. Rebekah was a whiner. Abraham was a manipulator. All they did was argue. (Har! Where were the pirates?) The jarring switch between third and first-person narration made me dizzy. And good heavens, what does one expect from a Bible story, other than bleakness? In all fairness, Card did po
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Liked it, but not so much as Sarah. It's likely because there's so much information in the Bible about Sarah I felt Card was just filling in the blanks, rather than inventing the story. Rebecca is less-mentioned in scripture, so Card had to take more liberties creating her character, which made it a little less compelling to me, although still interesting. I did really like some of his insights on listening to the Spirit, and how impressions come.
Amber
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I started reading it while in Georgia visiting my SIL and had to hurry and request it from the library when we got back. I'm a sucker for romance and thought that Rebekah and Isaac were so beautifully written. I thought that Card did really well in describing events and the human side of them.
Becky
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I really liked the beginning of the book about Rebekah's childhood and how she married Isaac, but then I did not like how Card portrayed Isaac and Abraham and especially their relationship with each other. I ended up disliking both of them very much, which is terrible way to feel about these wonderful Old Testament prophets.
Jen
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love the Women of Genesis books and can't wait for the next one. I love historical fiction about scriptural people, particularly women because they are so rarely mentioned in the scriptures at all. Anyone who can help me to better understand or relate to women in the scriptures rocks. Also amazing that these books are written by a male author.
Kim Davison
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Of all the Women of Genesis books, I enjoyed this one the most. I liked the development of Rebekah's character. An inspiring read if you can get past ancient personalities acting in ways more appropriate for modern people.
Alisha
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis series even though I totally read them out of order. I loved how the women came to life and each had unique yet strong personalities. I really hope writes a fourth book in the series!
Meg
Jul 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers interested in the Old Testament
Shelves: 2007
This book was interesting, but it's hard to read fiction based on something that I only know about from the Bible. It was very different from what I expected and it made me think about that whole story a little differently. 6/14/2007
Shannon Smith
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Best one I've read in a while. I read this one before Sarah so I guess we'll see how much I like Sarah if it really is repetitive. It felt good to read a book that could keep me up at night.
Nicole
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
It was too jarring to have the characters speak in contemporary language. I didn't buy it and I never got into the story because of it.
Kelly
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was my favorite out of the Women of Genesis series. I wish I had the misfortune of needing to wear a veil over my face. :)
Jenni
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I thought his portrayal of Isaac was SO insightful and unique. This is my favorite thus far of the Women of Genesis series.
Anna
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Orson Scott Card does a great job with Rebekah's story, though he ends on what is probably an overly optimistic note.
Danielle
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing fictional look at women from the scriptures. If you try not to think of her as the same Rebekah, it is a beautiful story!
Pokeyann
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Once again loved this installment in the series, I really like the humanistic quality put into these eternal stories.
Amy
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
I know it's very fictionalized but I really enjoyed this story of Rebekah from the Old Testament.
Ginger
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great fictional story around the life of Rebekah. Orson Scott Card did a great job and I couldn't put it down.
Ronni Jo
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not as great as I'd hoped, but I have very high expectations for Card. I enjoyed it, but I thought there could have been more character development and maybe, I don't know, less whining?
StoryStormBlog
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
~4.5 stars.

“Rebekah” by Orson Scott Card is a superb example of how to use inner conflict to make even a slower, character-driven story riveting. Each of the main characters was sympathetic—at least, those who were meant to be. As in “Sarah,” the first in this series, Card still excels in his use of dialogue, but in this second novel—unlike the first—I had only the praise and none of the scriptural reservations. It’s true that Card interprets the repeated sister-wife narratives the same way as s
Linnae
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting take on the Bible stories and characters.

Rebekah, an Israelite woman raised by her father, has run the household since her mother's death. She is used to being in charge, making decisions, and settling disputes amongst servants. When a man comes to their camp with an offer of marriage to Isaac, a devout man of God, she decides to take the offer. She has never met him in person, but her faith is very important to her and she feels that this marriage will be an answer to her prayers
Rebekah's Personality 5 43 Mar 08, 2009 11:21AM
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • The Enoch Letters
  • The Second Sun (The Great and Terrible, #3)
  • Daniel and Nephi
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th

Women of Genesis (5 books)
  • Sarah (Women of Genesis, #1)
  • Rachel & Leah (Women of Genesis, #3)
  • The Wives of Israel (Women of Genesis, #4)
  • The Sons of Rachel (Women of Genesis, #5)
“Let me be loved like that, by a man who will not replace me with concubines when I'm old and ugly. Let me be loved by a man who loves God more than me.” 24 likes
“Good people aren't good because they never cause harm to others. They're good because they treat others the best way they know how, with the understanding that they have.” 24 likes