Start by marking “What Was Lost: A Christian Journey Through Miscarriage” as Want to Read:
What Was Lost: A Christian Journey Through Miscarriage

What Was Lost: A Christian Journey Through Miscarriage

United Methodist pastor Elise Erikson Barrett draws on her own painful experiences, as well as on interviews with others who have gone through the devastation of miscarriage, in an effort to help women grieve and, in time, to think theologically about pregnancy loss. Barrett also offers some much-needed practical advice about breaking the news to others, coping with insens ...more
Published September 2nd 2010 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about What Was Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Was Lost

Start your review of What Was Lost: A Christian Journey Through Miscarriage
Megan
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miscarriage
This book focuses specifically on miscarriage, rather than "miscarriage and other pregnancy losses". The author, Elise Barrett, is a United Methodist pastor who has experienced multiple early pregnancy losses. She combines her personal story with research and testimonies from others.

Barrett offers solid theology, as well as practical advice for how to grieve and heal. She also addresses some of the inappropriate things people say in response to a miscarriage (ie: "It was just part of God's plan
Hannah Scudder
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful read—balm for the soul!
Alyssa Jahnigen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I agree with everything theologically, but I thought it was a good book that I could relate to on a personal level. I liked how it had reflection questions at the end and thought it was healthy to really think those through. I feel like even those who have not had miscarriages should read the last few chapters (at least!) to know how to respond in a meaningful way to someone in their life who has had a miscarriage.
Jessica Wallace
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book I read on miscarriage from a christian perspective. Meaningful and purposeful, this book was a gift to me in a very difficult season of life.
Victoria
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miscarriage, 2020
Highly recommend for miscarriage grief and support! I loved the reflection questions and exercises. It was also the only book I read that had ideas for memorial acts/services for the baby.
Joanne
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up because two friends have miscarried in the last month, and I hoped there might be something here that would help me help them...somehow, if only to buy them the book. I think the book is very well done. Barrett writes movingly of her own miscarriage and of struggling with her grief and the bone-headed yet well-meaning comments from her fellow seminarians. In addition to interviews with other women, she provides information about the emotional, spiritual, and physical changes tha ...more
Tracy
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was worried when my cousin gave me this book that it would be too "religious" for me. Yes, I believe in God, but was feeling lost in my grief and honestly, I was questioning my faith in God after our loss. Though I didn't relate to everything in this book, I related to more than I originally thought I would when I finally started to read it and answer the reflection questions. I've also begun to say a prayer shared in the resources chapter at night to help with my healing.
Sarah Coggins
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Beautifully written. This book explores the grief and pain (both physical & emotional) of miscarriage through multiple viewpoints of different women as each experience is unique. And reminds us gently that even in the worst of it all, God is with us and we are not alone. Highly recommend this book to women who have experienced a miscarriage and to those who love them & want to gain an understanding. ...more
Melissa
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, counseling
a critical book for... well, for everyone. whether you know it or not, you know someone who has suffered a miscarriage. this book presented a compassionate perspective for those who have lost their unborn children, and it also helps those who haven't develop genuine compassion for those who have.
Alvana
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I found this book extremely helpful and comforting. I would recommend it to anyone who has experienced a miscarriage, or anyone who wants to better understand how to help a friend who has gone through this.
Caitlin
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a wonderful book.
Michelle
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book addresses an important topic that is all too often not talked about in our society.
Beth
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book for someone who has gone through a miscarriage or for anyone who wants to understand how to relate to those who have.
Maria
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Wise, compassionate, and beautifully written.
Amy Young
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
For anyone who has had a miscarriage or knows someone who has, this is a very helpful resource. I highly recommend it.
Tobias Dewhurst
Mar 05, 2011
Ms. Mystery ☔️
Dec 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health
  • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
  • The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today
  • Grieving the Child I Never Knew: A Devotional for Comfort in the Loss of Your Unborn or Newly Born Child
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • The Great Fire
  • Sand in My Sandwich: And Other Motherhood Messes I'm Learning to Love
  • It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • The Best Party Ever (Hey Jack! #13)
  • Wildflower