Start by marking “Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener” as Want to Read:
Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener

Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Sinister Resonance begins with the premise that sound is a haunting, a ghost, a presence whose location is ambiguous and whose existence is transitory. The intangibility of sound is uncanny – a phenomenal presence in the head, at its point of source and all around. The close listener is like a medium who draws out substance from that which is not entirely there.

The history
Published by Continuum International Publishing Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sinister Resonance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinister Resonance

Richard Sanford
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not quite as strong as Toop's earlier books - but considering he's written some of my top 10 books about music ever, Haunted Weather, Exotica and Ocean of Sounds - that's not half bad. A look at how we depict and understand sound, but more about what we know and try to express about *listening*. The subtitle refers to how what we hear actually haunts and inhabits us.

Drawing Seurat and Man Ray, Virginia Woolf and Joyce, Wilkie Collins and Po Chiu-i, the sources get away once in a while but even t
Tara Brabazon
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
David Toop is simply one of the finest writers in sonic media. This book is beautifully written and equal to his earlier influential monographs. For those interested in models and theories of listening, this book is a fine foundation for scholarship.
Colin Masso
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book goes to great lengths to extract the resonance from silent objects, like books and paintings, and does so admirably. It gave me a new way of hearing things that make so sound at all, which will likely only make sense to you if you read the book. I liked Ocean of Sound better, but am still really glad that I read this book. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking how I wished I had read it while I was still a theatrical sound designer, and how much differently I would have appr ...more
Neil Dewhurst
An intriguing foray into sound, noise, music, and silence. Early chapters taking in the occasionally sinister nature of sound and hearing, as subjectively experienced by the listener, particularly when contrasted with sight (seeing is believing, after all) lead into some interesting discussion of sound and noises in art.

My interest wasn't entirley sustained through to the end, but there are still several nuggets in the last part of the book, such as the impossibility of true silence.
Michael
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror writers
Shelves: uncanny
Toop likes to riff on lists of examples -- it's a very academic book -- yet I'm inspired by his emphasis on the weirdness of sound and the way it carries a sinister subtext. I'm getting ideas from this book for my horror fiction. A good read.
gdg
Feb 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
I enjoyed the beginning of this book and then got bored. Perhaps I will go back to it one day but I suspect not...

Too bad for me.
Francis
Sep 23, 2012
Cobertizo
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"¿Escuchar requiere más atención que oír, o a la inversa? Ambas poseen un sentido activo, ninguna de las formas puede ser consignada como enteramente pasiva. Escuchar puede ser ejecutado con esfuerzo y sin embargo el resultado puede ser solo oír, mientras que oír puede empezar por instinto y terminar en 'La Consagración de la primavera'. El punto es que todos los individuos capaces de escuchar están abiertos al sonido todo el tiempo. Se pueden cerrar los ojos, pero no los oídos. Nuestros motivos ...more
Franck
Feb 05, 2014
Julián Príncipe
Jul 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Noise/Music: A History
  • Audio Culture: Readings in Modern Music
  • The Art of Noise (futurist manifesto, 1913)
  • Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond
  • Krautrocksampler
  • How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop, The Machine Speaks
  • No Such Thing as Silence: John Cage's 4'33"
  • The Soundscape: Our Environment and the Tuning of the World
  • Formalized Music: Thought and Mathematics in Composition (Harmonologia Series, #6)
  • A Year from Monday: New Lectures and Writings