Start by marking “Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)

Blue Fire

(Healing Wars #2)

Part fugitive, part hero, fifteen-year-old Nya is barely staying ahead of the Duke of Baseer's trackers. Wanted for a crime she didn't mean to commit, she risks capture to protect every Taker she can find, determined to prevent the Duke from using them in his fiendish experiments. But resolve isn't enough to protect any of them, and Nya soon realizes that the only way to k ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Blue Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Fire

First Novels Club
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, donna
Janice Hardy's BLUE FIRE is book two in The Healing Wars trilogy, and man, this book escaped MNS with a capital E. Do yourself a favor -- don't read this book before going to sleep. I made that mistake, and I was lying awake for nearly an hour -- after all that action, I couldn't relax!

Basically, it’s nonstop awesome.

If you didn’t read the first book, THE SHIFTER, let me set it up this way – pretend you’re reading a prequel to THE HUNGER GAMES and District 13 has just been blown to smithereens,
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
I gotta be honest, I read this book in 2015, I wrote this review in maybe 2017 based on my notes about how I felt toward the book right after reading it, and I'm now finally posting it in 2019. So I don't know how I'd feel about the book now, but this review is how I felt about the book when I read it.

As I mentioned in my review of Book 1, I don't usually read young YA or middle grade (not sure exactly what this would be classified as), and at the time I wasn't into high fantasy,
Anita
2.5 Stars... again.

I'm not quite sure much happens in this book that didn't already happen in the first book. Evil people are doing evil things, there's a war raging, there are riots, the world is in shambles, and it's up to Nya to save the day... again. It bugs me a bit still that the people in this book are so black-and-white and one-dimensional. If you're bad, you're bad; if you're good, you're good.

And Nya seems to be the only one with a gray-area-of-morality compass that keeps getting quest
Chris Cutler
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
It was great!
After my enthusiasm for The Shifter was unshared by my family, I got worried that I wouldn't be impressed with the sequel; now that the magic system was less novel, maybe I would realize that the rest of the book wasn't as fun as I thought. I shouldn't have worried.

Though the magic is still a strong selling point, there were many other things that I like in Blue Fire. Topping the list is humor. The whole story is told with a wry and endearingly understated wit. It is easy to share
Mati
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blue Fire is the second installment in the Healing Wars books. While I really enjoyed the first book, The Shifter, I will admit Blue Fire left a little to be desired.

Nya's powers have continued to develop since book one, and she is struggling as she tries to use her new abilities in the right way. But things don't really go as planned with the Duke and his people continually hunting her and other Takers.

What I had trouble with in this book was the distance I felt with the minor characters in t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

Nya is on the run from the Duke of Baseer's trackers for a crime she didn't intend to commit.

The Duke is using Healers to make an unstoppable army, and Nya is determined to stop him. But with trackers after her, it isn't easy to hide, and Nya finds herself trapped in a place she never wanted to be and having to trust people she isn't sure she should.

Nya's adventures in BLUE FIRE were even more thrilling than they were in THE SHIFTER. THE HEALING WAR
jesse
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: partly-read, dropped
Lost interest and dropped it. I might read it later.
But for now... No chance. No way.
This is where our ways part for the time being.

Au Revoir.
The Novel Vault
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, I'd read the previous one a few years ago, and its one of those books that can be a bit hard to jump straight into if its been a while since the last one, and that's what put me off reading it when i first got hold of it, and i did try but found i couldn't get back into it, which is why its so weird that i literally just picked it back up one day and started reading then couldn't seem to stop.
I think the trick was to stop stressing myself out who the char
Isaac Butterworth
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Janice Hardy is a rock star—no, wait! She’s a novelist. But she rocks. Blue Fire is the second volume in her trilogy entitled The Healing Wars, and it takes us to Baseer, one of three formerly independent cities, all of which now suffer under Duke Verraad’s unlawful, violent, and self-serving power-grab. Nya, a shifter (a specially gifted person who can shift pain), and her little band of friends, along with the Baseeri underground, are the only hope for the future. Nya is brave, resourceful, se ...more
Beckyjo8kids
Ellinore Westergren
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5/3.75
I wish that this site could allow you to rate from 1-10, because then I would've given it a 7 or 7.5.
I think that this book was a good follow-up to the first one. The way that the surroundings and the characters are described is very subjective, meaning that everything is really from the main character's perspective, allowing you to get to know her on a deeper level.

There was a lot of things that was happening all the time, and I think it's good that the author actually acknowledged thi
Jameyanne Fuller
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great sequel. The stakes go up. The decisions get harder. There's so much emotion and excitenent! Can't wait to read the next one!
Mery
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
uhuu keren.

Setelah kejadian di Healers League, Nya jadi pahlawan. Penduduk Geveg berterima kasih karena stok pynvium yang menipis terungkap. Sayangnya, ga semua bersikap begitu. Sang Duke menyebarkan pengumuman bahwa Nya adalah buronan dan harus segera ditangkap, yang berhasil menangkap Nya akan dapat 5000 opa. Tapi semua orang tahu bukan karena tuduhan itulah Sang Duke kepingin dapatin Nya. Semua karena kemampuan yang Nya punya.

Selain bisa shifting rasa sakit, Nya juga punya immune terhadap sor
Az
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amelia
Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

I liked this second installment, even if the writing gave me a little bit of trouble.

Janice Hardy seen through the eyes of her awesome blog, The Other Side of the Story, is a master at her craft. The reason I picked up her series was because I was so impressed with her writing advice. However, when I read Blue Fire, I found myself distracted by her writing. Perhaps my expectations were lifted a little higher in light of her blogging prowes
Mahesh Subramaniam
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Blue Fire was another incredible book by Janice Hardy. Everything from the world building to characters to writing was amazing. What I really loved about this book was you have absolutely no idea what will happen next, so you only open the book and hold on tight for the ride.

Blue Fire begins shortly after the ending of Pain merchants, Nya and the gang continue their quest to rescue the takers who’ve fallen victim to the duke’s cruel experiments. But as the guards lock down Nya and her friends s
Angela Wallace
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Fifteen-year-old Nya is able to draw pain out of people. Unlike most with this ability, she is unable to put it into the pain absorbing metal, pynvium. What she can do is shift that pain into other people, making her a wanted fugitive from the Duke. Nya knows the Duke is responsible for horrible experiments on her people in Geveg and she wants to stop him. But she and her friends are in hiding after exposing the horrible secret of the Healing League, working in the shadows to find and rescue the ...more
Kathleen Houlihan
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable addition to a unique fantasy series where the magicians are healers, who make use of a rare metal, pynvium, to store the pain they draw off those who are in pain. In book 2, Nya and her friends are trying to rescue the healers who are at risk from the evil Duke, who wants to use them for a dark purpose (which we do discover in this book). Nya herself is at the gravest risk, since she has an unusual ability that makes her of particular interest to the Duke -- she can pass pain from o ...more
Hafsah Faizal
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
*This review was written by my 12 year old brother*

The second book in the Healing Wars Trilogy was just as I expected it would be, filled with non-stop action. All-in-all it was a good read and I couldn't put in down. I finished it in almost an hour! Usually it's the male authors who make their books gory and filled with violence, but Jane Hardy is the biggest exception I have ever seen. There is fighting on almost every page, and mix that up with the characters Ms. Hardy has created and you've
Morgana.Book.Extravaganza
You can also see this review on my blog:
www.morganaextravaganza.weebly.com

My Review:
4 Stars

Okay, so I have equal parts love and hate for this book which is why I'm going to break this review into two parts as defined by love/hate.

The Love
I absolutely loved the second half of this book! Nya is back and more kick butt than ever. She is such a strong character who will risk anything for the people she loves. The magic gets way more intense on this book add does the adventure, making it a wild ride.
Becky
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed book 1 'The Pain Merchants' and couldn't wait to read book 2. I sat down this morning to start this one and had finished it in about 3 hours.
Nya is still being hunted after the events of book 1, but she isn't taking it lying down, running an undercover operation to rescue apprentices from the Duke and his evil experiments with magic, she is working from the shadows.
Danello has a bigger part in this book and I was glad for it, he is a solid presence in Nya's life, strong, confid
Kellie Sheridan
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Review originally posted at ReaWrite.com

Don’t you just love when the second book in a series is even better than the first?! Always a very welcome surprise. Once again, we’re brought into a world with a very complicated kind of healing magic that manages to suck you right in. The main character Nya never gets a break in book two, and proves herself to be even more loyal to her friends and family then before.

For that and just her general vibe I really like Nya. She’s a character you really root f
Traci
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I actually think the book deserves a 3 1/2 star rating. I had a hard time remembering the first books details. I basically remembered the jist of the story but for some reasons much of the detail was really difficult for me to recall especially when my husband asked me to tell him about the series. There is one things I cannot remember for the life of me...Aylin. I know through this book that she is Nya's best friend but I don't remember and details of her before this book began and that was ver ...more
Lane
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were much more fleshed out and fun to read, and the action was suitably stepped up.

There were a number of things that disappointed me though, chief among them being the fact that Nya and Danello's relationship had developed in between novels. What good is character development if you don't get to see it? I don't really care about their relationship or understand it because I didn't see it form beyond the attraction in the first novel. Having them get
Emma
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Beoordeling:
1. Cover 4/5
De covers van deze serie vond ik op eerste gezicht niet mooi. Dit is puur persoonlijk omdat ik geen fan ben van het 'neppe'. Maar wanneer je elk boek leest begin je de cover enorm te waarderen, ze sluiten zo goed aan! Echt heel knap gedaan! Je hebt ook nieuwe covers, deze zijn meer mijn stijl maar ik twijfel nog een beetje of ze nou ook zo mooi aansluiten.
2. Verhaal 4/5
Zoals ik al eerder aangaf is het een meeslepend verhaal. Het grijpt je en laat je niet los tot je weet
Jo
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Blue Fire is the second book in Janice Hardy's Healing Wars trilogy. I really enjoyed the first book, and expected to enjoy this one just as much.

This book somehow manages to pack in a heap more action, as well as a lot of inner turmoil in regards to whether it's right to use healing as a weapon, and whether Nya should feel guilty about the people she's killed.

I really liked the aspect. War is hard, and not just on a physical level. Soldiers in the real world have to go through extensive traini
Lindsey
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was really pleased with this sequel. It brings us deeper into the world and the unique fantasy elements that have been created. We get a further glimpse into the recent history of how the Duke came to power, why people are manipulated the way that they are in order to do the terrible things that they do, and that the fight is a full-scale war across the territories, not just in Nya’s own back yard.

Nya is fun as a character and although sometimes it’s hard to believe that she’s able to survive
Tabitha Olson
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read The Shifter earlier this year and loved it. Nya is my favorite kind of character: a spunky, proactive, reluctant hero. She doesn’t want attention or kudos, or even to be noticed, really. But when someone is in danger, she steps up without even thinking twice. I love her.

Blue Fire picks up almost right where The Shifter leaves off. And, it packs just as much of a punch as the first book. Lots of action, great characters, and interesting twists. It explores some great themes of preconceptio
Bird
This book struggles with something that I've found most middle books in a trilogy do: pacing. The first and third books are usually full of action and excitement, with the second book feeling more like a filler or placeholder story. For most of the time I was reading this, that's what I felt like - it was the book whose sole purpose was to bridge the other two books.

That said, it did pick up in the last 1/3 of the book and it was still an enjoyable read even during the slow parts. The world was
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 20, 2015 12:27PM
  • The Buccaneer's Apprentice (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #2)
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • To Play the Lady (Sevalian Chronicles, #1)
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)
  • Skeleton Key: The Graphic Novel (Alex Rider: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Fortune's Folly
  • Black Halo (Grace, #3)
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • The Testing (Third Soul, #1)
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
Janice Hardy is the award-winning author of the teen fantasy trilogy The Healing Wars, including The Shifter, Blue Fire, and Darkfall from Balzer+Bray/Harper Collins.

She also writes the Grace Harper series for adults under the name, J.T. Hardy.

When she's not writing fiction, she runs the popular writing site Fiction University, and has written multiple books on writing, including Understanding Sh

Healing Wars (3 books)
  • The Shifter (Healing Wars, #1)
  • Darkfall (Healing Wars, #3)
“I mean really if you can't count on your best friend to go to jail with you, what good are they?” 69 likes
“I would not bend.
They could not make me Pliable.
My mind was strong.