Start by marking “The Seagull Reader: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Seagull Reader: Poems

The Seagull Reader: Poems

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
W. W. Norton proudly announces the Seagull Readers, a new collection of the most frequently taught poems. Ideal for genre or introductory literature courses, the Seagull Readers offer a compact and affordable alternative to larger anthologies. Each volume includes a wide selection of both classic and contemporary works, as well as a thorough introduction to each genre and ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Seagull Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seagull Reader

Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, anthology
One of my reading goals for 2012 was to read a book of poetry from cover to cover. This book, which I picked up for free at the local library discard shelf, seemed like a good place to start. It's clearly intended to be a primer for English poetry of the last 500 years or so. The introduction (which I mostly skipped since I was interested in the poems themselves) has some information about the structure and terminology of poetry. Having recently read an entire book on poetic meter and form, I fe ...more
Tiffany Tueros
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book because it was required for one of my English classes. Did not read every poem, but read a majority. Enjoyed the diversity in poems. Great book for people who want to get into poetry or are looking for a book full of great poems.
Manda Dugay
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
reading this for cammy thomas' poetry workshop this semester. i like that it covers a lot of ground and doesn't weigh 90 lbs. also, it has two springsteen songs in it, and i've always said he was a magnificent poet, and the editor of this book obviously agrees! yay!
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, read-in-2011
Obviously I didn't read the entire thing, but my English class is over and I probably won't read it any more. We'll see. If I get an a poetry mood, I'll pick it up
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of poetry. Most are short and easy to read. The intro by the author does an excellent job of instructing on how to understand, enjoy and write poetry.
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Great selection of poetry. It is packed with fantastic work from multiple poets. A lot of the poems I had read before in other anthologies, but much was refreshingly unfamiliar. I also like the layout and size of the book. Wonderful introduction to poetry.
Jun 14, 2016 marked it as to-read
Satisfying Quick Reads for Short Attention Spans

Poetry is a natural place to start when you want to read something compact but still challenging. The Seagull Reader, which provides an overview of poetry from the first recorded ballads to very recent works, is a great place to start.
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of poems from different eras and styles
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a great collection--nice variety in the poetry.
Allison Zink-McCormack
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful collection of poetry enhanced by the short biographical and historical context provided for each poet.
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book if you want to familiarize yourself with all the major poets and poems like I did. From Shakespeare's Sonnets to Yusef Komunkaya. About 370 pages excluding glossary and other stuff.
Mar 29, 2012
Apr 18, 2015
Charles Chapman
Jan 03, 2015
Dec 14, 2014
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2009
Apr 19, 2010
Jul 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Last of the Menu Girls
  • The Best American Poetry 2008 (Best American Poetry)
  • The Story Of England
  • Tennyson: Poems
  • Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from WritersCorps
  • The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food Is Wrong
  • It's Raining Pigs and Noodles
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. C: The Restoration & the Eighteenth Century
  • Firebird