Start by marking “Beneath a Marble Sky” as Want to Read:
Beneath a Marble Sky

Beneath a Marble Sky

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  12,508 Ratings  ·  1,722 Reviews
Journey to dazzling seventeenth-century Hindustan, where the reigning emperor, consumed with grief over the tragic death of his beloved wife, commissions the building of the Taj Mahal as a testament to the marvel of their love. Princess Jahanara, their courageous daughter, recounts their mesmerizing tale, while sharing her own parallel tale of forbidden love with the celeb ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 535 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Center Point Large Print (first published June 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath a Marble Sky, please sign up.

Kimberly I can't remember if Roshanara is mentioned by name, but her sisters are definitely present, and it is so worth the read. You won't regret it,…moreI can't remember if Roshanara is mentioned by name, but her sisters are definitely present, and it is so worth the read. You won't regret it, especially if it gives you some insight into the roles of women and family in those times! It's really well done!(less)

Zeek
I picked up Beneath A Marble Sky because of the cover. I'm so glad I did. BAMS is a near perfect story. Love, hate, betrayal, intrigue, duty, honor, played out against the magnificent backdrop of Agra, India, the city of the Taj Mahal, - I fell in love with this story from page one.

Told in first person from Jahanara's point of view, I must confess to being pleasantly surprised that a male author could write a female character so well.

Perhaps that's a bit strong. What I mean is that Shors does an
Kristin
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-finished
This is a love story based in 17th century Hindustan - but not just your average love story. Finally, a love-story author that portrays a woman in a positive light! Not just hopelessly in love but also intelligent, loyal to her family (and her father's empire), truly selfless and very realistic with all of her emotional ups and downs.

This drama has the main character battling brothers and a disastrous arranged marriage, all the while fulfilling the needs of her father and trying to maintain a r
Darshana
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i do not recommend this book, as it could give the reader an inaccurate picture of what life was like back then. in addition the author has taken a number of liberties with the historical characters. the writing is very simplistic and leaves you feeling like you are reading a teenage romance novel.
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Beneath a Marble Sky' is much too much about a royal daughter's dutiful life of self-sacrifice - she practically gets ecstatic when she discovers a sacrifice situation actually - than I could accept. The combination of silly pointless self-sacrifices and the way her breathless love in the shadows unfolded struck me as impossibly bizarre. She did so very little to protect herself at important junctures, in the name of love. It also appeared to me she often relied heavily on the kindness or wisdo ...more
Karla
I'm still in rapture over this novel, it just was written with such perfection. The perfect read for any historical fiction fan. A concise and sweeping story, eloquently told. A tale of adventure, passion, and a journey into an intelligent and daring 17th Century daughter of the emperor. Jaha's struggle is a precarious one, caught between forbidden love, sibling rivalries and duty. A powerful thrilling edge of the seat page-turner. It taught me new things about the intricacies of architecture in ...more
Sydney
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I am fascinated by books about other cultures. This historical fiction pick is set in India at the time the Taj Mahal was being built.

It delves into history, there's a love story, family struggles, drama, intrigue. This book has it all. I originally selected it because I ran a feature story on my newscast about the author, who will either call in to your book club, or, if your book club is big enough, he will make an appearance at your book c
Samia
May 19, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of disappointed that most of it is fiction (or at least the most important parts that form the basis of the story). You are thought to believe that this is based on a true story, but it is highly embellished, and culturally inaccurate in many cases. It kind of ruined the mystery of the Mughal Empire, the Taj Mahal, etc. for me. It is an easy read though, and somewhat entertaining, so if you like these sorts of love stories (but more on the side of a melodramatic soap opera) then you'l ...more
Bruna Vraničić Vujević
Izvanredna!!! 5+
Stacey
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction because I feel like I'm learning something while entertaining myself, which is great since I never paid attention in Social Studies in high school. I saw this book described online as "historical romance," and if you think of it like that, it's easier to stomach a lot of the nonsense in here. For instance, this is the kind of story where the main characters literally "chase one another through fields of wheat," "frolic on the sand," and "make love beneath the stars." Re ...more
Sara Register
I found this book pretty fascinating as well as disturbing...and not in a good way. I have noticed that since having children, I don't do well with violence in books. This book has some pretty blatant violence in it that was hard for me to read. (I'm sure it really isn't THAT bad, I just am ultra sensitive to it, especially when it has to do with children--there is a lot of castration and war and executions etc...) I had to read another "light" book while reading this one because it affected me ...more
Leona
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A historical epic saga filled with deceit, betrayal, love and a soul searing passion that had me mesmerized. Brother set against brother, fighting for power and a place in history. A sister caught between two brothers and trapped in a loveless, brutal marriage. A Father incarcerated for 10 years by his own son. Yet in spite all the pain and suffering, a love emerges that transcends the bitterness.

Not for the faint of heart, but truly an enjoyable read.

Definitely a love story, not a romance. At
Tonkica
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gdje je ljubav nestala? Postovanje, iskrenost i kultura? Hvala sto postoji ova prica koja govori bas o tome!

4,5 jer je definitivno preduga! Komotno je moglo barem 100 stranica manje!

Elizabeth Lee
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom, and mostly anyone
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Alli
What a beautiful book. So gracefully written, so emotional without over-doing it, it absorbed me from the first few pages.

There were absolutely some unpleasant situations, but I felt that they were handled as gently and tactfully as possible. They only increased the feeling that the main character/narrator Princess Jahanara was a woman of great strength and integrity.

I loved that there were no loose ends left at the end of the story. This book encapsulated the lives of the people in it, in almo
Skip
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
After really enjoying Shors' Temple of a Thousand Faces, the ficionalized, but well researched story of Cambodia's Ankhor Wat, I have wanted to read this book about the Taj Mahal. It did not disappoint. The story is told by the clever Princess Jahanara, eldest daughter of Emperor Shah Jahan and his beloved Mumtaz Mahal, describing the treacherous battle for succession in India, her loveless politically-arranged marriage, and her falling in love with the architect of the mausoleum for her decease ...more
Mileto
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Обичам да чета книги, които ме карат да се заровя в историческите източници, да прочета за всички места, хора и събития, описани в книгата. Усетих го като едно виртуално пътешествие на гърба на слон, с красиви гледки, драматични събития и дъх на подправки.

Хепи ендът ми хареса, макар че в живота не винаги така се случва.
Amy
A melodramatic tale that plays fast and loose with historical accuracy and the reader's patience.

I knew going in this would probably not enjoy this book, but I hoped I might anyway. Forbidden love and angst are two things I like to avoid...but India! The Taj Mahal! Historical fiction! Political intrigue! Had to be worth trying, right?
Ehhh, not so much. I didn't learn much about the creation of the Taj Mahal and I'm skeptical of the little I did learn.
The characters are either Good or Evil. Go
Sandra Bašić
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O izgradnji Taj Mahala manje-više svi znamo a ova je priča ispričana iz kuta Jahanare, kćeri hindustanskog cara Shaha Jahana i carice Mumtaz Mahal. To je priča o muškarcu koji je zbog smrti svoje voljene odlučio izgraditi veličanstveni mauzolej, kao simbol njihove velike ljubavi. Priča je to i o nesretnoj ženi udatoj po carevoj naredbi, koja se nije bojala zaljubiti unatoč zakonima koji za preljub imaju samo jednu kaznu – smrt.

„Mnogi se boje smrti. Ali ja ne. Jer sam osjetila jedinstvo koje zov
Olivia
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as precious jewels crowned the Taj Mahal, author John Shors has created a jewel and an impressive novel of love, honor, and betrayal. I think I've fallen in love with the author of this book. This book is so beautifully written, the language so concise and meaningful. For me, the novel was a fabulous reminder of how love truly should have no boundaries. One of the messages and teachings in the storyline is that to deny love is to deny God. I loved Jahanara's father, the Emperor, and what he ...more
Melodie
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
After having read favorable reviews, I was looking forward to this book. I am not very well versed in the history of early India so this would be a learning experience for me. And indeed the tale of the conception and construction of the Taj Mahal was fascinating. The struggle for power among siblings and the ensuing brutal wars between Muslim and Hindi people was interesting as well.
But I really struggled to stay focused and finish this book. There was sooo very much excessively descriptive l
Ivana
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nedopričljivi
description

Malo presapuničasto za moj ukus.
Louise
Dec 06, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Journey to dazzling seventeenth-century Hindustan, where the reigning emperor, consumed with grief over the tragic death of his beloved wife, commissioned the building of a grand mausoleum as a testament to the marvel of their love. This monument would soon become known as the Taj Mahal – a sight famous around the world for its beauty and the emotions it symbolizes.

Princess Jahanara, the courageous daughter of the emperor and his wife, tells their mesmerizing tale, while sharing her own paralle
Elyse
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's, NOT to LOVE about "Beneath The Marble Sky"? It has the feeling of "Pillars of the Earth" without being a thousand pages long ---and without THOSE Pillers. (which by the way, *Pillars*...is one of my favorite books, as I love Ken Follett's historical fiction books)...

The Taj Mahal is nothing to be shy about! (Have you been???). I have!!! Its BREATH TAKING with its white marble ---semi precious stones, calligraphy and cavings, and of course that amazing 'teardrop'....etc.

This little book
Ashley
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I enjoyed reading this book, but I really struggled as to the rating.

Wanting to see detailed pictures of the Taj Mahal after reading about it, I did a little research. While I am totally okay with and expect fiction when I read historical fiction, I think this novel might be stretching the limits.

This is a love story between a princess and the architect of the Taj Mahal, her mother's tomb. It is a forbidden love, as she is married to another man. Apparently, the princess in question never marri
Maria Dimitrova
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Дори по-скоро бих я оценила с 3.5, защото авторът е отишъл твърде далеч от рамките на достоверността и фактите. От историческа фикция е останала само фикцията.
Но пък книгата ме накара да се поразровя в историята, да прочета повече за Тадж Махал, шаха и неговата любима жена Мумтаз Махал, за която построява мавзолея.

Въпреки че не трябва да се разчита в голяма степен на романа за това как са протекли животът и отношенията на шаха, жена му, принцеса Джаханара и нейните братя и каква е била наисти
Gaile
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-era
Princess Jahanara falls in love with the builder of the Taj Mahal. Her father commissioned the building after the death of Jahanara's mother. She is wed to a brutal man. Later her father realizes his mistake and helps her and Isa in their love.
Her brothers are at odds, one being gentle and bookish, the other a great warrior albeit with little mercy in his soul.
I think the author's ability to get into the mind and heart of a woman outstanding.
I found the descriptions of the wars in this period a
Teddy
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
I read this book for my Historical Favorites Book Group. This was my review on Amazon.ca:

Historical Fiction at its Finest!

This historical fiction is about the story behind the building of the Taj Mahal, which was built to honor Mughal Empress Mumtaz Maha. It’s the saga of her family and is told by the central character Jahanara, the daughter of the Mughal emperor. It is a story of love, honor, and betrayal.

This book is exquisite! Shor’s deftly colors each page with breathtaking prose and breaths
Blessy Mathew
I am a fan of historical fiction and this is set in India against the backdrop of a Hindustan empire. In this first person narrative, Shors does a great job of portraying a true picture of India during the era of the Taj Mahal. Readers witness the story through the eyes of Jahanara, the princess. We meet all the characters as they come to life, adding to the story’s realism. The sacrifices, romances, political battles, and power struggles that they face add depth to this novel. Readers feel as i ...more
Holli
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me a thing or two, made me cry, and made me cheer for the characters. What a story! I had never read anything about the Taj Mahal or the Hindu and Muslim cultures and I was fascinated. This was truly a great love story..... I very much recommend this one! Thank you Teri for loaning it to me!
Kate
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! A story of the building of the Taj Mahal through the life of the daughter of the Emperor. A love story, a historical fiction and very well done! The life at court is similar to "The Other Bolyn Girl" which was also very well done!
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read about 110 pages, and this one is just not working for me. I'm not sure why, but I just don't feel transported. I think perhaps I can see too much of the author's striving in the writing. I wouldn't discourage others from reading it, but it's just not for me, I guess.
Beneath a Marble Sky 5 95 Oct 13, 2017 11:41AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 20, 2015 11:37AM
  • The Temple Dancer (Novels of India #1)
  • The Splendor of Silence
  • Peach Blossom Pavillion
  • A Singular Hostage
  • Exit the Actress
  • First Darling of the Morning: Selected Memories of an Indian Childhood
Hi, everyone. I hope this message finds people well.

I'm the bestselling author of Unbound, Beneath a Marble Sky, Temple of a Thousand Faces, Cross Currents, Beside a Burning Sea, Dragon House, and The Wishing Trees. My novels have won multiple awards and have been translated into twenty six languages. I have also spoken (via speakerphone) with more than 3,000 book clubs around the world.

For more i
More about John Shors...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
  • Starter for Ten
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Scored
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • The Paradise Guest House
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Never deny yourself love, my child. For to deny love is to deny God's greatest gift. And who are we to deny God?” 22 likes
“Loved ones are sometimes taken from us, either by death or other circumstances outside our control. Yes, we should lament their departure and yes, we should pray for them often. But we shouldn't dwell so deeply upon such vacancies that life itself becomes empty.” 18 likes