Start by marking “The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend” as Want to Read:
The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  153,950 Ratings  ·  11,372 Reviews
Soon to be a major motion picture!

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, a biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush, who calls Bianca the Duff—the designated ugly fat friend—of her crew.

But things are
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 7th 2010 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The DUFF, please sign up.

Tara Joshi The trailer sucks!! I understand that movies aren't always exactly like the book, but changing the plot line has gone too far. And where did Bella…moreThe trailer sucks!! I understand that movies aren't always exactly like the book, but changing the plot line has gone too far. And where did Bella thorne come from, she seems to have a huge part in the movie, but in the book, her character has a small role. The movie is gonna be a typical teen film, with blocked kissing scenes, and an over exaggeration of high school issues.
^ ranting about all of that though.. I hope that the movie isn't like the trailer, and that they discuss the insecurities that Bianca went through, because thats what drew me to the book, I could relate with her character.(less)
Daphne Ya. I mean, kind of. I mean, it's hard to explain...just read the book. It's awesome.

Emily May
They're making this book into a movie. So, naturally, I had to read it.

The word that first comes to mind when thinking back over this book is messy. That's how I would describe it. It's entertaining in parts, annoying in others, and sends out a confusing mix of messages.

“I actually need your help. You see, your friends are hot. And you, darling, are the Duff.”
“Is that even a word?”
“Designated. Ugly. Fat. Friend,” he clarified. “No offense, but that would be you.”

This above exchange takes place
Lora
Jun 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teens and people who are more open-minded than me
A note to anyone who chooses to read the following: I am critiquing this book solely based on the first 80 pages or so as I simply didn't have the will to continue any further.

There are some spoilers, but only for the first 80 pages.

Have you ever been sitting with a group of friends and one of them tells a joke and immediately everyone but you starts laughing? And then you sit there looking like the stupefied idiot who's just not getting it? That's how I felt while reading The DUFF. So many of m
Regan
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
2.5? 3? Over-hyped.
Lola  Reviewer
What a bummer.

I decided to read this novel for four distinct reasons:

1) The unmistakable hype
2) The movie was exactly what I hoped to watch a Friday night
3) Many reviewers qualified this book as ‘‘fun’’ and ‘‘absolutely entertaining’’
4) I wanted to see how the DUFF thing was dealt with in the written story and recognize the changes they made to the cinematographic version (because there always are)

But the thing is… hype lies, this was nothing – and believe me when I say that – like the movie, th
Vinaya
I think one of the worst things that could ever happen to a book is an unsympathetic protagonist. A person would be willing to forgive a lot of things — loopholes in the plot, slow-moving story, clichéd endings — if they fell in love with the hero/heroine. Unfortunately, this did not happen to me with The DUFF.

I read a blog post by Kody Keplinger today where she remarked that a lot of the people who criticised The DUFF did so because of the sex scenes in the book. Personally, I have no objection
Christy
4 stars!

photo 2ff024dc-c75c-4a27-8e43-8a929316aceb_zps5d2c1238.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. Initially, I picked it up because I saw a preview for the film. After reading it, I’m not sure if I’ll go watch the movie. With the way the few clips I’ve seen show, it’s not much like the book at all. And some of the things I really loved about the book seem to be missing from the film… but back to the book! The Duff is a laugh out loud, sweet, sexy, and at times serious read. It’s a book about friendship, loyalty, and even
Eunice
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Bianca is out with her two best friends when Wesley Rush comes up to her and lets her know her standing.
"You see, your friends are hot. And you, darling, are the Duff."
"Is that even a word?"
"Designated. Ugly. Fat. Friend," he clarified. "No offence, but that would be you."

So Bianca throws her drink in his face.

Then, she goes and kisses him.

I didn't like these characters very much at first. I thought she had lost her ever loving mind. Kiss that asshole that said that? Plus, he keeps calling her
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Y'ALL GO TO NETGALLEY AND PICK THIS ONE UP FOR FREE (3/5/15)

I kinda LOVED this book. Color me as surprised as anyone else. It seems a lot of people didn't. Here's what I have to say about that . . .

Commercial Photography

And also?

Commercial Photography

You're right. I'm not!

Talk about a refreshing flippin' change of pace from the regular YA fare. Not to mention this book was written by a fetus. Her momma should be proud!

Kody Keplinger offers up some serious straight talk in The
Anne
I am all about the DUFF! Loved it!
I was interested in this books years ago, when it first came out, but then I read some reviews that said it was full of inappropriate sex and promoted low self-esteem in girls.
Unfortunately, I let that scare me off.
I recently noticed that they were making a Movie about the book, and my interest perked up again.
Psst. The movie a very PG version of the book.

description

This book really struck a chord with me.
Now I'm not going to give you some sob story and tell you that I fe
Would Wesley and Bianca Last as a Couple? 17 236 Jan 07, 2018 12:18PM
Book vs. Movie 31 403 Jun 18, 2017 10:55AM
Around the Year i...: The DUFF, by Kody Keplinger 3 19 Sep 17, 2016 11:42AM
the movie 7 67 Apr 28, 2016 06:25PM
  • Geek Girl
  • Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2)
  • The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June
  • Fixing Delilah
  • Babe in Boyland
  • Adorkable
  • Awkward (Smith High, #1)
  • Fall for Anything
  • Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend
  • One Night That Changes Everything (One Night That Changes Everything, #1)
  • She's So Dead to Us (He's So/She's So, #1)
  • The Lonely Hearts Club (The Lonely Hearts Club, #1)
  • Serial Hottie
  • Like Mandarin
  • A Match Made in High School
  • The Probability of Miracles
  • His Eyes
  • Rival
I'm a 19-year-old college student and young adult author. My first book, THE DUFF, debuted on September 7, 2010. I write books for teenagers and strive to be honest and true-to-life. For more info, check out my website.
More about Kody Keplinger...
“Spanish, huh?" he said, glancing down at the scattered papers as he grabbed them. "Can you say anything interesting?"
"El tono de tu voz hace que queria estrangularme." I stood up and waited for him to hand over my papers.
"That sounds sexy," he said, getting to his feet and handing me the stack of Spanish work he'd swept together. "What's it mean?"
"The sound of your voice makes me want to strangle myself."
"Kinky.”
1083 likes
“No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.” 985 likes