Start by marking “Greek Myths For Young Children (Usborne Gift Book)” as Want to Read:
Greek Myths For Young Children (Usborne Gift Book)

Greek Myths For Young Children

(Usborne Gift Book)

The Greek myths are a fascinating part of our cultural heritage, and young children will find these stories of gods, mortals and monsters irresistible. This collection of the best-known stories are retold in a magical and sensitive way.'
Published January 1st 1999 by Usborne Books

To ask other readers questions about Greek Myths For Young Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greek Myths For Young Children

Louise

4 stars

One of very many children’s books on Greek mythology, I picked this one up mainly because it’s Usborne (I grew up on Usborne books and I have a certain amount of loyalty to them despite the fact that they keep putting out gendered shit like this) and because the pictures inside are pretty dang gorgeous. With so many of these sort of books about though it’s always worth flipping through a few in the bookshop, maybe reading a couple of the stories, and getting the one that works for you. Th
Cathy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mini Greek Myths for the Young is a beautifully illustrated compilation of the Greek mythological stories that have been enjoyed by adults and children for thousands of years. The book is constructed of sixteen chapters, each featuring an action packed myth such as Pandora's Box, King Midas or Jason and the Golden Fleece. The narrative is very accessible to children, though some of the names would prove tricky to pronounce for adults and children alike. Thankfully Heather Amery includes a page g ...more
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greek Myths

In ancient times, Greeks made up wonderful and exciting stories
about gods and goddesses, monsters, and brave heros. The Greeks
believed that the gods lived everywhere such as in forests, in the
sea, underground, and in great palaces among the towering peaks of
mount Olypus. Occasionally, the greeks saw the gods
and goddesses, but other times they were invisible.I f a god or
goddesses liked a person, he or she would be kind and helpful but if a
god didn't like a person, he or she could be m
Anna [Floanne]
Questo libro appartiene a mia figlia Irene. Irene che, non a caso, porta un bellissimo nome greco e che a pane e miti è stata svezzata, lo avrà letto almeno cento volte. E io con lei. Eco e Narciso, Dedalo e Icaro, gli Argonauti alla ricerca del vello d'oro, Teseo che affronta e sconfigge il Minotauro (mancano solo Orfeo ed Euridice per la quinta stella!): sono tutte storie che, se pur vecchie di millenni, sanno ancora affascinare ed educare grandi e piccini.
Complice uno stile narrativo semplic
Annalisa
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Because we are reading Percy Jackson, I've been getting mythology books for my daughter to read that will introduce her to the stories. This was a great overview with abbreviated stories and good illustrations.
Nick
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Lovely retelling of classic stories. Beautiful illustrations.
Lauren Jamie
Feb 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
I like Greek myths a lot so this book is probably made for me
Alex Popov
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
so bad there is nothing more bad then this book so no ratings for this bad book that i can't read so bye bye see you when you are fired

Fitria Mayrani
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Good for kids and their parents.
Kerry Kirkpatrick
A school read
Kendall Soffer
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Title:Greek Myths For Young Children
Author: Heather Amery
Illustrator:Linda Edwards
Genre: Myths
Theme(s): life lessons and nature

Brief Summary:
A collection of greek myths made for children. It includes gods, monsters, and immortals.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
Major stories from Greek mythology, such as the tale of Pandora and how she released all the ills upon mankind, and fifteen others make up this introductory volume. The story of Persephone
Julia
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-format-book, mythoi
As the title states quite clearly this is a book for children so for any fans of the Classical mythoi I ask that you stay away from it. The illustrations are beautiful to look at, the stories are simple to follow for a child and they are put in some order if you will.

What I found wrong with this book is that the author chose to switch some of the names out. You have Roman versions of names mixed in with the Grecian versions of names, which I didn't like. The redeeming quality to the name issue i
Rebecca
Love this beautiful little Greek Myths book. The illustrations are great and the stories are nicely edited to be appropriate for children.
Sam
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book hoping to be woo'd and drawn into the world of Greek mythology and this book of short myths seemed a good place to start. The storys for me far to brief and summed up in it seemed as little words as possible, this for me made what could be an great myth, quite the contray and made it almost seem boring. Maybe its merley the fact that greek myths is not my thing, i guess that remains to be seen.

The chracters that appealed to me the most where Zeus the almighty powerful god,
Chak
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
From my 9 year old son: "I thought it was pretty interesting and it gave me some ideas for maybe writing a story. I liked that it makes you think differently about things, and I wish there were more stories. If there was a family tree of the Gods, that would make it better." I liked that it is a nice little size (5.5" x 7", 324 g), is colorful and had a "How to Pronounce Greek Names" guide in the back.
Deanna
My boys loved listening to me read this. I've just finished "The Iliad" and I'm almost done with "The Odyssey" so these stories are fresh in my mind. I found that while these stories were very simplistic compared to the real version they were a fabulous introduction to the Greek Myths. I'm very glad I read this to my children.

Each myth is also very short and so it can keep the younger ones attention.
Lori
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an entertaining help during our Greek history days. Reading it aloud to 3 of my children 11 and under helped guide many discussions on mythology, imagination, false gods and the one true God.
Karin
My 5 yr. old daughter enjoyed these stories. They are a good introduction to the greek myths that make up part of our language and culture. I like how the stories are in order so we can recognise characters from story to story. The pictures are fantastic too.
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight-core-b
Beautifully illustrated children's versions of many of the well known Greek myths. My daughter enjoyed this book very much and was surprised to realize that she had heard references to some of these things before.

Thanks Usborne!
Teri
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ancient-greece
The language is this book is fine, simple and understandable. But it's REALLY lacking in the illustrations department. We like D'aulaires' Book of Greek Myths better--but if one of you out there has a better recommendation I'd love to hear it.
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The pictures are beautiful and there are many stories and memorable characters. My son's favorite is the myth about Midas. I recommend that a parent read through first before deciding if it is appropriate for their young ones.
Ellie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is a good book for passing the time, a good bedtime story, or for when you're watching your brothers' really long basketball practices. I think it's good for these purposes because it amuses the mind, and I think it is good for people who like fiction.
Renee
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I am so pleased with this book. My children who are ages 8, 5 and 3 all beg for me to read "one more story." They are learning the classical Greek myths from such an easily understandable, yet very enjoyable book.
Denise
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Great overview and introduction to myths for children.
Kelley
The boys really enjoyed this book--I wasn't that into it. Some parts were interesting even for me though.
Amy
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Joel, who is 29, likes me to read him a Greek myth before bed. The myths do gloss over some of the sex and out of wed lock births, but so what. I'd read it to my kids.
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
A good, clean and simple retelling of Greek myths for younger elementary readers. The boys really enjoyed this book.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a collection of stories with pictures to illustrate
Haley
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Haley by: I HAD THE IDEA TO READ THIS BOOK MYSELF
I LOVE this book! This is the best greek myth book I've ever read. Heather Amery (the author) really knows how to make greek myths in a good format for kids.
Shelly Kittell
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun way to learn about Greek Myths. Short stories but also tell alot.
Quick read.
  • The Greek News
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • Theras and His Town
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • The Apprentice
  • Greg's Microscope

Usborne Gift Book (10 books)
  • The Usborne Book of Ghosts & Hauntings (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Stories from Around the World (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Tales of Robin Hood (Usborne Gift Book)
  • King Arthur (Usborne Classics Retold)
  • Stories from Around the World (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Treasure Hunters (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Book of the Seasons (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Ulysses and the Trojan War ~ Greek Myths (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Ulysses and the Trojan War ~ Greek Myths (Usborne Gift Book)