Start by marking “Fourteen Love Stories” as Want to Read:
Fourteen Love Stories

Fourteen Love Stories

This is a selection of fourteen of the most memorable stories in English written by Filipinos over the past eight decades, since Paz Marquez Benitez's "Dead Stars" was published in 1925. Thus they span a range of times and tempers, celebrating the many kinds of love, and delineating the many ways of falling in and out of it.
Paperback, UP Jubilee Student Edition, 122 pages
Published 2004 by University of the Philippines Press

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen Love Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen Love Stories

Rhena
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted on Snapshot Inkblot Whatnot

Whether we are its readers or writers, a love story is invested with many guilty pleasures. We remember our own lives, when we are lovers and had lovers. We imagine having the strength, or the weakness, to yield to the uncharted and the forbidden. We wish for a love to take us away from the reality of the present. We relish the encounter, taking it on with recklessness and youthful abandon. Our pulse rushes and our throats tighten. We feel a dull ache
Carljoe Javier
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen Love Stories is a collection that spans not only the various kinds of love, but also serves as a survey of the Philippine Short Story in English. From treasured classics like “Dead Stars” and “Tanabata’s Wife” to newer works, one can read the book and witness the development of the short story, as authors adopt different techniques, settings, and ways of storytelling.

On a personal level, I found myself revisiting stories that I had read and studied as an undergraduate. But coming to th
Anne
Sep 25, 2013 marked it as paused
I've just read "Dead Stars" by Paz Marquez Benitez a while ago. However, I can't borrow the book in the library anymore because the sem's almost over. I'll read it the first thing next month. I'm so excited to read the rest of the book, especially since I learned that a story from Gilda Cordero-Fernando and Aida Rivera Ford are included! I swear I'll buy mountains of books next semester from the UP Press.

Dead Stars. Four stars. Although written in third person (which blurs between limited and om
Ron
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories. I would be re-reading this before the year ends.
Patricia
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
It has been a while since I've read good literature, diving into this has felt like I was given another chance to breathe. "A Normal Life" was definitely my favorite among all of them.
Ian
Feb 18, 2016
Phoebe Andamo
Sep 07, 2013
Aeshen Liveme
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2018
Mariz
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Fourteen Love stories 2 3 Jul 13, 2017 09:33PM
Dr. José Y. Dalisay Jr. (Butch Dalisay to readers of his "Penman" column in the Philippine STAR) was born in Romblon, Philippines in 1954.

As of January 2006, he had published 15 books of his stories, plays, and essays, with five of those books receiving the National Book Award from the Manila Critics Circle. In 1998, he was named to the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) Centennial Honors Li