Start by marking “Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger

Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger

(Amazing Spider-Man (1999) (Collected Editions) #23)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

The Chamelion returns with a terrifying new mission that has Mayor J. Jonah Jameson squarely in his sights! Meanwhile, the Anti-Spider Squad narrows its dragnet around the Wall-Crawler, and Peter Parker gets a brand-new job - will it bring him closer to the newly-returned Mary Jane, or push her further away?

Collects Amazing Spider-Man #602-605.

Published May 26th 2010 by Marvel (first published December 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Michael
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Das Hardcover enthält die Hefte ASM 602-605.

Die Hauptstory (602-604) ist spannend und die Artwork ordentlich. Das Chameleon will die New Yorker Anti-Terror-Einheit ausschalten und kidnappt dafür ausgerechnet Peter Parker, um in dessen Haut zu schlüpfen. Denn mit J. Jonah Jameson als neuem Bürgermeister der Stadt hat Peter als Hausfotograf Zugang ins Rathaus. Spidey goes 24: "You don't have to be Jack Bauer (...)"

Jameson als Bürgermeister ist eine wirklich superschrille Vorstellung. Und natürlich
Roy
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ock remains as a villain and MJ has returned
Wing Kee
I’m such a sucker for MJ stories.

World: The art was alright, although the best arc was in the MJ issue with her in L.A. (That one was lovely). The world building here is good, it’s a reintroduction of sorts to MJ since Brand New Day and we get a little bit of character based world building. We also get the pieces of the current Peter world where we see moving pieces set up for greater stories later (like Harry at Pete’s house and also the Chameleon). Solid.

Story: The Chameleon story was solid, i
Kurt
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5.
Mike
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chameleon's rampage does all sorts of havoc to Peter's life, but it's the death trap that's the hardest to swallow. (Or rather, the inexplicable yet inevitable escape therefrom.)

Van Lente crafts a fun and inventive romp through Parker's life, with a few dark moments to make sure we remember we're at the adults' table. Kitson's art is suitably good to keep up appearances.

The villain battle/intrigue is all well and good, and usually it's most fun when reading a comics that faces our hero off again
Blindzider
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm one of the people that wasn't happy about One More Day so reading the return of MJ to Peter's life was a big deal. It's handled really well without wrapping everything up nicely, adding some emotional tension to the book.

The Chameleon returns and he is portrayed a little more menacing this this time around, along with making Peter's life even more complicated. It also has a nice tie between another Spider-Man villain's origin and a new villain.

There's a one shot giving focus on MJ, and there
MC
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger is a volume that is unique in that the entire story not only is focused almost exclusively on Mary-Jane Watson, the titular “red-headed stranger”, instead of our web-slinging hero, but also in that Spidey hardly shows up at all in the narrative, except for a few scenes and a flashback here or there.

As the story begins, Peter Parker (Spider-Man) is thinking of how he has seen his ex-wife (or is it ex-girlfriend? ex-fiance? You really can't tell where the continuity
Talk Comix
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the spiderman books havn't been great up until this point. I felt election day was a turn for the better. Red-headed stranger is actully a very good soap opera. The storyline had a great idea of the Chameleon getting to be peter parker for a day. Looks like Dan Slott took a leaf out of Fred Van Lente's book. It's actully quite well written and Fred does a great job keeping the reader engaged with strong narative. I could take or leave issue #605 which really just didn't match the rest of the ...more
John
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The villain replaced the hero then said and did things that the hero should have all along, plus shenanigans ensued! Now that's original storytelling! Except that time I saw it on Buffy. And Angel. And...right you get the idea. MJ's return apparently meant that both she and Peter would act completely out of character, get completely shitbagged, and in Peter's case have unprotected sex with his roommate. So we have Three's Company covered too! Is it too late to bring J Mike back to Spidey writin
Thomas
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent story that does more with Peter Parker than with Spider-Man. The "trap" and "death" here is so glazed over that it is almost a non-issue. Yes we know he is comming back by the end of the arc but that's no reason to half-ass the magnitude of what is happening. The MJ and dating stories in issue 605 are both better than the plot that takes up most of this collection. Still a fun read particularly if you like Parker's day to day life and trials stuff.
Shaun
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MJ is back in Peter's life what will she and the old Parker luck have in store for Spider-Man? The Chameleon masquerades as Peter and either improves or worsens his relationship with friends (depending on how you look at it). MJ is in his life for good will they rekindle their relationship? Only time will tell. A fun look at both Peter's life as a hero and his love life as both civilian and hero.
Andy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spider-man
After the fun excess of the anniversary last collection Red Headed Stranger is a more laid back and fun couple of stories. Firstly we get what turns out to be a nice little Chameleon story with some really nice insight into how he takes over the role of the people he masquerades as. Then we get some more focus on MJ and her return before setting Pete up with some dating mishaps. It's lighthearted and fun which is refreshing in Spider-Man every now and then.
Matt
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #602-605

Mary Jane made her return in the last collection, "Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight," but this collection explains why she came back to New York.

Chameleon is the main villain of this collection, and I found that story to be very intriguing. He is one of my favorite villains.

A lot of this collection was devoted to deconstructing and analyzing Peter Parker's life and choices. It was a pretty fun read.
Geonessary
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The first part isn't bad. A decent Chameleon story, but I am not a fan of MJ. I won't get started on that, but MJ brings every story down. She's an awful female character.

Just an ok book. Nothing too notable happens.
Khairul Hezry
Spidey goes up against the Chameleon who has always been nothing more than a C-list villain. And MJ remembers Peter's secret identity? Was that what she whispered in Mephisto's ear when they made the deal to save Aunt May? "I don't want to forget that"?

Mic
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phs-comics
If you like the saga that is Peter Parker's lovelife, you'll really like this. But if you hate it,steer clear of this because despite there being other things going on, his lovelife is an important part of it all.
Trashy Dreams
The Chameleon story in this was really good, but the art was bland. Not sure if I've seen Javier Pulido's art before-- who handles the first chapter in #605, but I really dug his stuff. Looks like Marcos Martin mixed with Frank QUietly. Overall tho-- this trade is just okay.
Eric Mikols
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spider-man
These Spider-Man volumes have been really hit or miss. It seems like everyone but Dan Slott has problems getting the right story together. I'm gonna stick with it, but just because I like the character so much.
Kenneth Fennell
Not what I was hoping for.

Art work was good but I don't care for long, drag out romance over some of the books. I want action and adventure when I read a Spider-Man book.
Timothy
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
3 1/2stars.
Tony
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The much hyped but inevitable return of MJ is dealt with quite well - pretty much short circuiting Parker - but the real surprise is the return of a much scarier Chameleon.
Bill Fletcher
Yeah, not a great one.
Shannon Appelcline
A nice reintroduction of Mary Jane to the cast, plus good continuation of the running plots.
Cat
  • Spider-Man: One Moment in Time
  • Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 2
  • Spider-Man Noir: Eyes Without a Face
  • Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 11: Back in Black
Van Lente was raised by a mystery-loving mother (who preferred Dorothy Sayers to Agatha Christie, but we won't hold that against her) and a wisecracking Woody Allen-lookalike scientist father in what appears to be some kind of genetic experiment to write his first novel, TEN DEAD COMEDIANS, even though neither parent nor the son himself would know it for many years.

Van Lente spent his time betwee

Amazing Spider-Man (1999) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home