Start by marking “At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel

At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel

(Culbard's Lovecraft)

"For a second we gasped in admiration..."

September 1930. A scientific expedition embarks for the frozen wasteland of Antarctica. But the secrets they unearth there reveal a past almost beyond human comprehension - and a future too terrible to imagine. By taking scientific fact so seriously, At the Mountains of Madness(1936), H.P Lovecraft's classic take on the "heroic age"
Published September 24th 2019 by SelfMadeHero (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about At the Mountains of Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Mountains of Madness

Start your review of At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel
Sr3yas
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Lovecraft's famous tale of horror comes alive in these pages, albeit not perfectly.

Frankly, I was curious to see how someone can adapt a story as complex as At the Mountains of Madness into a graphic novel. The original story lacked conversations and solid interactions, thanks to Lovecraft's mad writing skills!

“We might have known from the first that human curiosity is undying, and that the results we announced would be enough to spear others ahead on the same age-long pursuit of the
mark monday
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
the good: the art is lovely and I liked the oddness of a story that features art that looks like an homage to Boys' Adventures serials from the 20s and 30s being put in service of a dire Lovecraft plot. I always appreciate the tension that occurs when simple, often primary color-based palettes, intelligent use of shadow, and retro stylization are used to tell a story of darkness and terror. Blue Velvet, Parents, etc. so that was an interesting choice by Culbard. or maybe it's just his style?

photo screen-shot-2010-11-15-at-12-44-28_zpss55llv23.png

photo mountains-03_zpslzjdxtqb.jpg
David Schaafsma
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-horror
At the Mountains of Madness is the third of four H.P. Lovecraft novels included in the gorgeously produced Self Made Hero omnibus Lovecraft, adapted and illustrated by I. N. J. Culbard. I decided to review them separately, and in the process of reading it realized that I had read it before. I think I must have read the original tale decades ago, or at least tried to read it: Lovecraft is not my favorite writer. I like all the cool adventure/horror ideas he has--that Cthulhu mythos he ...more
Andrew
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of HP Lovecrafts work ever since university when I first discovered his work - followed shortly by realising how influential he is. From such a short writing career he created a body of work which is even to this day inspiring writers, artists and film makers.

So when I found out that there was a publisher which had taken some of his most famous stories (and in some cases other authors who he had influenced) and turned them in to graphic novels I was very interested.

This
Gregsamsa
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
You can't judge a book by its cover, but you should be able to with a graphic novel. At least a bit.

The cover art on this comic-book retelling of the H.P. Lovecraft tale is a little on the bleak arty side, ambiguous and atmospheric. The art on the inside, however, is completely different: it looks like it was taken from an adventure story published in a 1951 issue of Boy's Life Magazine.

On the upside, we are spared all of Lovecraft's florid faux-Poe exposition and scene setting, on the downside
Seth T.
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
At the Mountains of Madness by INJ Culbard (after H.P. Lovecraft)

I've been a fan of H.P. Lovecraft for a while now. I mean, not a real fan. Real fans of the author would almost certainly consider me a dilettante—a lipstick Lovecraftian, if you will. Fact: I have never finished anything Lovecraft wrote. I gave At the Mountains of Madness a shot several years ago when I downloaded it for free for my old-gen Kindle. It was too slow, too dry, too far-removed to keep my interest.

What then are my points of contact with the author's worlds? Through Mignola's Hellboy
Charles Dee Mitchell
H.P. Lovecraft wrote, or more accurately, overwrote At the Mountains of Madness in 1936. (That "overwrote" in the preceding sentence already has me on the bad side of avid Lovecraftians.) I read the original years ago when I did most of my Lovecraft reading, and it was never one of my favorites, crucial as it may be to the Cthulhu mythos. Since the Guillermo del Toro film has been canceled, this graphic novel seemed like a good way to revisit the material.

The drawings emphasize that this is a
Melissa Chung
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Cool story. Loved that the Cthulhu is mentioned in this story. I have been dying to know what the heck they were. Great illustrations. Nice big panels and color palette.

This is the story of an expedition to Antarctica. The team has reached their destination and one scientist, Professor Lake the biologist, takes a team of men to scour the mountains for artifacts. That is when the weirdness happens. Professor Lake and team discover a lifeform. They presume they are dead and take them to their camp
Shannon
MINI REVIEW: so I've yet to read the novelette/novel but I enjoyed the graphic novel. A lot of the big reveals I already knew because I've played the roleplaying game and the historical section reveals a great deal about the Mythos. That said, for people who have not read either I suspect the graphic novel will give you a nice twist at the end.

Tale focuses upon an expedition going up to the North Pole in the 1930s and discovering a strange city there. Keep in mind that back in that time we as a
April
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
While I love the art int this volume I don't think it's very well suited for depicting the sense of dread & overwhelming horrors of Lovecraft. A mix of styles would have been great. The simple TinTin like style at the beginning slowly giving way to something much darker & crazier as the story progressed would have been my choice.
Calista
The tone or color of the book is all blues and whites. There is a feeling of desolation and quiet.

I know I use the word creepy often, but this is a creepy story. Spine tingling might be a different way to say it. I enjoy the end when they find out what is behind the mountains. Incredible imagery and it makes your mind think, what if?s

I have to admit I haven't read H. P. Lovecraft. I know this is a hole in my reading background and this book entices me to read some of his stories.

I enjoyed this
Ferdy
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Spoilers

Pretty good. I've never read a novel set in the Antarctic so that was kind of interesting. The mystery was fairly engaging but it wasn't all that original — science team goes on expedition, weird rocks are found, discovery of a lost city, people dying, nothing is as it seems blah blah blah.
The characters personalities were all kind of similar to each other - I don't even remember anyone's names.
The ending was disappointing, that mustache guy's team were killed by alien things and he
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it

this takes Lovecraft's classic novella and puts it into a stark graphic novel adaptation, beautifully suited to the tale. The original story is a masterpiece of horror, ratcheting up the tension and dread with each sentence; Culbard's adaptation must play with the text a little, but keeps many of the best lines. The drawing style is generally restrained, which makes the one or two moments of horrific revelation (particularly the gruesome fate of the
Paul
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I have never been one of Lovecraft`s biggest fans. I was pretty much always left with the feeling of "and then what happens?" whenever I read one of his stories... perhaps my youthfulness of the time prevented me from truly appreciating his stories... something I guess I'll have to remedy sometimes soon.

The suspense while reading this story was palpable... even to the point of getting a much needed relief and a chuckle when they "run" into the penguin. I have no doubt Lovecraft
Pierre
A competent work in a clean line european graphic style reminiscent of the great Edgar P. Jacobs and his masterpiece works Blake And Mortimer (also available in english). The use of monochrome and sepia colors gives the art its aged look creating an atmosphere similar to old black and white science-fiction movies of the 1930s and 1940s, and providing a classic feel to the setting of H.P. Lovecraft's masterwork.
This style may not please everyone however since it can feel cold (pardon the pun) and
Etienne
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good adaptation of Lovecraft work into a comic book. The illustrations look a bit childish for my personal taste, yes it can be a good way to get children (around 10 years old maybe) to discover Lovecraft, but I would have like a darker style for the arts. If not that aspect, it was fun to read and well adapted. Enjoyable!
Jay
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, graphic-novel
It has been a couple decades since I last read the original of this, but my favorite thinsg from that version were (1) the history of these beings and (2) that fact that I found it "not scary" while reading it, but then really scary later, when I was trying to go to sleep.

This graphic novel version does a really good job of capturing the creeping sense of wrongness in the original, but a lot of the history is (of necessity) lost. It was like watching a good movie adaptation of a book... it hits
Jeff
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a surprisingly solid graphic take on one of Lovecraft's best-known (but problematic) works. I.N.J. Culbard makes his rendition succeed by staying relatively close to Lovecraft's original story, and allowing the simple but effective art to highlight the stark surroundings of a foreboding landscape. While the source story is fascinating, it is also one of Lovecraft's howlers, as his over-serious characters wrestle with giant penguins and interpreting a detailed history of an (apparently) ...more
Tim Mckinstry
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Just didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

I may have only read the graphic novel however I was put off attempting the novel. Such a promising premise and beginning yet when I expected things to pick up the story just seemed a little flat. The creatures seemed too abstract, (trying too hard to be... Well, I won't spoil the story) that I couldn't relate to them in any sort of way.

That said, the artwork is superb. I am unwilling to devote time to reading the novel now I am aware of the big reveal, a
Chris Deal
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I mean, what hasn't been said about Lovecraft. A precursor to early King, let's call it literary junk food, but that's not even being fair. Still, not great, no, no, not by a long stretch of the imagination, but so damn fun. This was quickly followed up with The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, which was a rather marvelous romp, right up until that end, because really, that ending completely undercut what came before.
Ruth
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent graphic novel take on Lovecraft's story. For people who've read it and not quite understood what was going on, I think this is a must-read.
Hilary
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Meh. Neat art, poorly adapted writing. Read the original, it's much scarier.
Sylvester
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a big sci-fi fan, nonetheless, it was interesting. Really excellent graphics, although they probably don't truly depict the horror of the story (fine with me, not fine with Lovecraftians).
Johnny
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
Seeing this graphic novel based on H. P. Lovecraft’s bizarre novella, At the Mountains of Madness, the story that Guillermo Del Toro wanted (wants) to make into a feature film, I couldn’t resist. The cold loneliness of Antarctica combined with the dark and eerie mythos of Cthulhu seemed like a marvelous escape from grading papers and studying theology. So, I picked it up at my local public library.

The name of the story comes from a line in the story where a rescue party sees the horizon of
Brian
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Rachel
H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness was one of the earliest stories that today's readers would recognize as modern science fiction. Sure, it's got Cthulhu in it, and tentacles, and it uses "cyclopean" a lot, but it's not about horrific and unknowable alien gods that hold sway over us like The Call of Cthulhu, nor about sorcery and monsters like The Dunwitch Horror. In At the Mountains of Madness, Cthulhu is basically just another alien that settled on Earth with its people, much like ...more
Rachel
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2018
This summer my friends and I discussed authors we didn't feel comfortable openly loving anymore, and while I think Updike did more misogynistic damage to me in the long run, I'd be much more likely to praise him than holler "I REALLY LOVE LOVECRAFT EVEN IF HE WAS A RACIST MISER" in a crowded room. But I do! His writing is so preposterous and his ideas so extreme and insane and someday I'll lead an excellent class discussion on art-vs-artist and whether Lovecraft's racism is a symptom of his ...more
Keith
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finally got my hands on what is, for me, the last of Culbard's graphic novel adaptations of Lovecraft (unless one of my accessible libraries decides to pick up the latest, The Shadow Over Innsmouth ). As this was the earliest in the series, I'm not too surprised that I was less impressed by this one.

It was a quick read, and the Antarctic setting did not lend itself well to detail. Other graphic adaptations of this story spent far more time in the hidden city, laboring over the Mi-go and strange
Quinton Baran
This is an interesting view into H.P. Lovecraft's story. The art is simplistic, but also evocative. I enjoyed the story, but it was somewhat superficial - it didn't bring me into the world as much as I had hoped.
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of H.P. Lovecraft
Shelves: horror, graphic-novel
Pretty good graphic novelization. Culbard lets the pictures do their thousand word thing and leaves out most of Lovecraft's purple prose for just the spare dialog. Almost anti-Lovecraft which is refreshing for a Lovecraft novelization. After building the suspense, a little weak on the payoff; I would have liked to have seen more of the chase by the shoggoths. Unless you've read the story by Lovecraft, which I assume almost all readers have, the menace of the shoggoths is a little vague. Why ...more
B.
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like to see Lovecraft's works made into graphic novels. I discovered H.P. when I was about 13 and at the time I had a difficult time sifting through his thick prose, but I stuck with it. I am now in my 30s and have devoured everything by him, however his imagery is still sometimes so difficult to really comprehend(and I guess that is really the point of the madness described haha), so it's fun to see how an author/illustrator brings the old ones to life.

Very much enjoyed this little gem.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Classics Without ...: At the Mountains of Madness Graphic Novel 5 36 Nov 05, 2014 08:02PM

• The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • Not My Bag
  • Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's the Dunwich Horror
  • Lovecraft
  • Black Hammer: Streets of Spiral
  • Neonomicon
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me
  • H.P. Lovecraft: W górach szaleństwa #1 (W górach szaleństwa, #1-2)
  • Lovecraft: Four Classic Horror Stories
  • Lychee Light Club
  • The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories
I.N.J. Culbard is an artist and writer. In 2006, he surpassed thousands of other writers and had his work published in Dark Horse Comics’ New Recruits anthology. He has since appeared in the anthology series Dark Horse Presents, the Judge Dredd Megazine and 2000 AD.

Culbard is an acclaimed animation director with considerable experience in directing commercials, developing projects for television,

Culbard's Lovecraft (5 books)
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath: A Graphic Novel
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth (Graphic Novel)