Start by marking “Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic, #1)

Destiny Kills

(Myth and Magic #1)

Desire calls. Danger Lurks.
But...

Published May 5th 2011 by Piatkus Books (first published October 28th 2008)

Start your review of Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic, #1)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Okay, so I’ve read 7 books by Keri Arthur and I can’t take it any more. This is one of her more recent books so I mistakenly thought the problems I experienced with the Damask Circle trilogy, published 10 years ago, wouldn’t be repeated here.

Destiny Kills had a premise with great promise and the power to be unforgettable but it was ruined by a number of re-occuring factors concerning Arthur’s books and writing style.

First off, sex. Nothing can get in the way of sex and the I-love-yous. Not even
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
I liked "Destiny Kills". If nothing else, it was nice to read about a female dragon with powers of her own!

Destiny is half air dragon and half water dragon. Of course, she doesn't know this when she awakens, in pain and bleeding, beside a dead man on the shore of an ocean, somewhere. She doesn't remember her name or the name of the dead man or how they got where they are. All she does know is that she's in trouble and there's something urgent she needs to do...if she could only remember what an
Mara
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
An other case of "it's not you, it's me" reviews.
There was nothing wrong overall with Destiny Kills except my nits and a blandness that can't be covered.

This is purely a paranormal romance rather than a UF one. [In my book the difference is on focus. If the balance leans toward the couple and the romance, than it's PNR, when the balance leans on the other elements of the story we have a UF romance. I'm taking for granted that all the other facets of the books are good, in other words I'm talki
Cher
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The prose itself is very trite, the sexual tension is just asserted rather than teased out, but the ideas of people who are also sea-dragons or air-dragons is fun and the story is intense and progressing at a quick pace, thus I am sticking with it.

Okay, I wanna cry, because this was such an amazing set-up, the halfling loch ness monster meets her halfling air-dragon mate & they must save her relatives from an evil research lab in Scotland. Beautiful premise. Why do I wanna cry? Because there is
Felicia
Not as good as Riley Jensen series. This author does invent hot dudes though.
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for a while, and since, well everything going on right now, I cleaned out my room. This one caught my eye, and I flipped through the first chapter and was hooked.

There are spoilers, but only kind of…most of this is revealed early enough on I don’t feel bad about saying it.

So Destiny wakes up on the beach next to a dead man. They’re both naked, and she has no clue who she is. She knows his name, she knows to say a certain pr
Lisa Kay
★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Cassandra Campbell wonderfully narrated this enchanting read. Her delivery kicked this up a notch. Good voices for the characters, nice pacing, and correct inflection. (I did listen at 1.5 speed.)

Lovely story by this new-to-me author. So nice to find a new author you enjoy. Granted, it took me a bit to get into the story, but once it grabbed me, it didn't let go. I actually cried a few times - some over man's inhumanity to life - which was a surprise. I
Nichole (DirrtyH)
A woman wakes up on the beach, naked next to the body of an also naked dead man. She can't remember anything about who she is or how she got there. But she starts to notice strange things about herself, things she can do and she can't remember why.

This is the first chapter of Destiny Kills, and it's really good. If this had been what the whole book was about, it might have been a really great read. Unfortunately, Destiny remembers everything by the second chapter, and now it's just a typical "I
Tammy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, ddlf-challenges
2.5 stars.
I'm not sure why this book bored me but it did. Keri Arthur is one of my favorite authors and I have never read a story by her I did not like. There was just something off about this for me. It was a much lighter side of Keri Arthur and not part of a series. There seems to be a more interesting story before this story. i.e. Destiny is part sea dragon and air dragon, her mother was kidnapped by scientists wanting to 'study' her and species like her. At 18, Destiny decides to rescue her
Between the Bind
May 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Okay, so after reading (and obsessing) over the Riley Jensen series, I basically had to get my hands on every Keri Arthur book available.

Unfortunately, this first book in the Myth and Magic series really fell short for me. The romance felt contrived, the action was "meh", the world and creatures were hardly explored, and most of all, there was a huge disconnect between the reader and characters.

*minor SPOILERS follow*

My first red flag occurred after Destiny's memory returned. Her memory being
Jess
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't as good as Arthur's Riley Jensen series. This was a story about a woman who was a sea dragon. She woke up at the beginning of the book having no knowledge of who she was, and she was lying next to a dead man. The story goes on with her trying to remember who she was, and she eventually remembers that she is a sea dragon and she was being held in a facility that was testing her. The man that was dead was one of her fellow escapees and her former ...more
Barbara
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe the low ratings for "Destiny Kills"! Seriously I'm shocked... although I shouldn't be, it seems my reviews go quite the oppisite of others in this genre of books. I've always liked Keri Authur's novels and this one (for me) was no different. She has a way of making the main man seem just out of this world, and the chemistry between Destiny and Trae(btw-isn't that name just sexy as heck?) is sizzling...Just to be fair I will say this was not her greatest work, and of course the pr ...more
Cindyg
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...Ms. Arthur never disappoints. I really enjoyed this book...what a great start to an awesome series.
I loved the whole sea dragons and fire dragons story line. Destiny and Trae are one hell of a couple. Strong, determined, committed and highly sensual beings.
It took no time to pull me in and grab hold. It's a wonderful story, with enough action and passion to hold my interest. It only took a day and a half to read it. Really looking forward to the next book; Mercy Burns.
If you loved Keri Art
Jenna
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Destiny Kills was an enjoyable, fun read. There were a number of elements that let the novel down, such as repetitive prose, clunky dialogue and one dimensional characters. However, it was fast paced and had an interesting concept that somewhat made up for the pitfalls. A novel to read if you are looking for decent action with a splash of romance and nothing too serious.
Nicole Luiken
Read in one day. An awesome first chapter--head trauma has given Destiny temporary amnesia (she regains her memories during the novel) so we get tantalizing hints of magic and mystery. Very well done. I enjoyed the originality of the world-building/mythos. On the borderline between urban fantasy and paranormal romance.
Snarktastic Sonja
This book was ok. I cared enough about those she left behind to keep reading. While I didn't HATE Destiny, I never really cared about her either.

Certainly did not learn enough about others to be interested in the next one.
Nickole H
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED!!!! Got my paranormal, romance, action book fix in. Ahhhhhh so much better now.
Catsalive
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww, 2017
When Destiny McCree wakes up beside a dead man on an Oregon beach, she knows only this: she has to keep moving, keep searching, and keep one step ahead of the forces that have been pursuing her from the heart of Scotland to this isolated spot. Why? The death of her lover has left her alone, with little memory of her past. A glimmering serpent-shaped ring is the one clue she has—and a bargaining chip in a most dangerous game.

Enter Trae Wilson, a master thief with a sexy, knowing grin and a secret
Amyiw
At the 1/2 way point I was thinking it was going to be a 4 star. It had some good fantasy involving different types of dragons and a romance that definitely had some chemistry.

Still it started getting too... unknown and haphazard in the middle and ending. They keep on being followed and found, and don't seem to have any understanding of what or who is after her. They take on the whole operation without knowing their capabilities.

So I ended up being a little bored with a bit of it because it was
Description:
Desire calls. Danger Lurks. But...
Enter Trae Wilson, a mas
Karyn
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Destiny is a half air dragon and half sea dragon who’s just escaped from a facility that’s been kidnapping and experimenting on dragons. The Air dragon she escaped with is dead and Destiny now meets his brother Trae – who she’s very attracted to.
She needs to go back and rescue her mother and the other kids at the facility - while evading the hunters after her, meet her dying father, and outsmart a sexy air-dragon with an agenda of his own.
This is a nice story. Its pretty simplistic, no great w
April
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is familiar with Arthur’s Riley Jenson Guardian novels, I was a little hesitant to even read this new series. Don’t get me wrong, in the beginning I loved the Riley Jenson series, it just seemed to get really, really predictable and lost my interest after Dangerous Games.

That is my excuse for having not read Destiny Kills before now, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It put an original twist on the whole Dragon genre. I can’t say that it is my favorite boo
Natasha
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book by Keri Arthur. It's a different urban fantasy series, this one about dragons(shifters sort of) and it's a great adventure. Destiny is a sea dragon and Trae is an air dragon. It starts out with a mystery for Destiny right after she has escaped from a secret facility in Scotland where she was held captive for over a decade and was the subject of scientific experiments. I won't give any spoilers, but this book has plenty of action and a good amount of romance. I like the new ...more
B
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So disappointing. I like Keri Arthur -- I enjoyed the Guardian series -- but this one was a big letdown. (Sorry Keri.) The romance element of it was just too contrived and not very believable for me. It happened too fast, maybe? (Or maybe that's just how things go for dragons?) I wanted to like it. And while I haven't read the Guardian books in awhile, it had the same feel from what I recall -- rescuing trapped people from the bad guys. (Am I remembering correctly?)

Or maybe I'm just spoiled from
Cathy
It was good. Not so great that I'm dying to read the next one, not as god as her Riley/Guardian series, but good I really liked her creation of totally new supernatual creatures. As much as I enjoy my werewolves and vamps, this made a nice change. The story was ok, the characters are engaging. There was enough foreshadowing to make me curious about the next book, so I will check it out (literally, thanks library!) when the time comes.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Wow. I've had this book on my TBR for a couple of years at least. I am happy to say that this works as a stand alone too and could have read it sooner (since #2 didn't come out until 3 years after this one). Lots of things going on in this one. Wrapped up nicely. Recommended for something different (different breeds of dragon shifters).
Brandy *Ahviel*
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, urban-fantasy
This was such a great book. I really hope that Keri Arthur does contiune this series.
The story the plot and the characters were amazing. It was easy to follow and I could not put it down. Every page I was glued to it wanting and needing to find out more
Debi
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, series
I very seldom give a book 5 stars but this book was a page turning for me. It has that something special that just really grabbed me. I can't wait to get my hot little hands on the next one in the series..smiles.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Compared to Riley Jenson series, which I really like, this one is weak. It is still better than a lot of other paranormal romances out there.
(view spoiler)
Lacrymosa Quiñones
So glad I finished the series. Read Mercy Burns first but I did enjoy both books. And I will admit I cried plenty lol, it was a great book and kind of hope to see more of this series and learn more about Trae, Destiny and Mercy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
  • Bounty (Kaliya Sahni #1)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Gemini, #1)
  • Corrigan Magic (Corrigan, #2)
  • Corrigan Rage (Corrigan #3)
  • Corrigan Politics (Corrigan, #4)
  • Corrigan Lust (Corrigan, #5)
  • Best Wishes (How to Be the Best Damn Faery Godmother in the World or Die Trying #4)
  • As You Wish (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying #3)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • How to Rattle an Undead Couple (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #9)
  • Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Echoed Defiance (Jacky Leon, #4)
  • Fate of Fire (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #2)
Keri Arthur, author of the New York Times bestselling Riley Jenson, Guardian series, has now written more than 25 books. She's received several nominations in the Best Contemporary Paranormal category of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards, and recently won RT's Career Achievement Award for urban fantasy. She lives in Melbourne with her daughter and two crazy dogs

Myth and Magic (2 books)
  • Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, #2)