Start by marking “The Werewolf Handbook: An Essential Guide to Werewolves and, More Importantly, How to Avoid Them” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Werewolves are more popular than ever--thanks largely to recent film hits--and this highly entertaining new title tells readers everything they've ever wanted to know about those terrifying preternatural members of the canis lupus family. Newcomers to werewolf lore will be surprised to learn that there are many different werewolf varieties. Alphas are the leaders, and Be ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about The Werewolf Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Werewolf Handbook

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesAfter by Anna ToddFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Worst Books Ever
244 books — 166 voters
A Tolkien Bestiary by David DayFaeries by Brian FroudFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt ScamanderGnomes by Rien PoortvlietThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
Bestiaries
176 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Snezana BookWitch Gligorijevic
Interesantno i zabavno stivo za sve one koji vole vukodlake i price o njima (o:
Andre
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ok, one thing first:
Robert Curran might not be Bob Curran.
I made a mistake in my first review of this book based on an error by amazon.com at the time I purchased it. Since amazon.com listed it as one of Bob Curran's at the time.
But according to an E-Mail by him this was never written by him and I apologize for stating that it did.

Still:
I cannot recommend this book. It is not as though everything is wrong or it is badly written (well some parts are), but its validity is doubtful and I will only
Alyssa Mayley
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to know a little bit of basic information on werewolf mythology from around the world. It is definitely not an in-depth look at any werewolf legend, but the cover is pretty awesome, and would be a great gift to a teen which loves werewolves. The type of scare/gore factor discussed in the pages are nothing compared to what I've seen on T.V.

All in all, I liked this little book. There were some really great photos, and illustrations. I thought the layou
Slightcold
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-softcopy
Great little book covers all you want to know about werewolf. It is interesting and informative. The part I love about this book is all the information are based on folklore and history, no soap opera or movie. The design of this book made it much more readable, took you a tour at the dark side of the world. There are also introduction of several representatives from typical werewolf-active regions, hence is very good for the understanding.
Isa Lot
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
De los tres que tengo de esta colección este es el que menos me ha gustado. Trae información mitológica e historias de distintas partes de Europa, pero tiene algunos fallos gordos como decir que "la edda prosaica es una saga", toma ya.
B R
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
While the author writes in an informative and entertaining way and the book has a lot of pictures from various media, the author's credibility in sharing folklore suffers. While I do not know about many of the cultures in the book, the one culture that I do know about he gets wrong.

On pages 11 and 34, he states that Finnish shamans were known to transform themselves into bears--which is absolutely not true. On page 11, I found this odd and on page 34 I could see his mistake. He connects the ter
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Strangerealms
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found the part about how to identify werewolves spot on, but the author missed red hair. Back then, those with red hair were suspected to be either witches, werewolves or vampires. I found the book well done and mostly full of informations, that you usually need to dig in folk books. I'm surprised though that he did not mention the most famous case of a french werewolf, the Beast of Gévaudan, which lasted for years, was never found, many hunters went in that area with no avail, while dead bodi ...more
Monica
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A brief history of canine shape-shifters found across much of the globe starts this look into the world of the werewolf. Numerous historical figures can be said to be acquainted with werewolves, and a variety of werewolves are defined.

Narrative is crisp, authentic, and laced with humor. There are a few test your friends/etc for werewolfism tests which are fun.

Numerous historical and cinema stills are inserted throughout allowing for further depth to the text and potential reference to the time p
Sergio Lozano
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Es un libro para pasar el rato, si no estás completamente informado. Esto es más como una enciclopedia sobre los hombres lobo, que una historia. Hay relatos, eso sí. Pero nada fuera de lo usual; solamente mitos y leyendas sobre las criaturas cuando fueron vistas, etc.
Yo diría que ese libro es para tenerlo en la casa en vez de una biblioteca, solamente para llamar la atención de la personas. Bueno… eso fue lo que a mí me pasó cuando estaba esculcando los libros de la biblioteca.
Cynthia Nobuta
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Este libro de verdad me gusto mucho es ligero y lo termine en un solo día. Me gusto la información que venia de los hombres lobo y la parte que mas disfrute fue lo ultimo que son historias de hombres lobos que existieron de verdad.
Darryl Webb
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A real eye-opener. Some of the methods of warding them off seem tame, but at this point I'm ready to try anything. Good flowchart to test if a person is a werewolf. Good background on earlier sightings and attempts to control them. A good read.
Rae
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nothing special or original. But a nice, brief little read on shifters, I guess.
Phil Slattery
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, humor
Lots of fun for anyone interested in werewolves. Short, easy read.
Milena Petrovic
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • Sleight of Hand
  • A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
  • The Supervillain Handbook: The Ultimate How-to Guide to Destruction and Mayhem (Supervillainy, #1)
  • How to Be a Vampire: A Fangs-On Guide for the Newly Undead
  • How to Be a Werewolf: The Claws-On Guide for the Modern Lycanthrope
  • Hell House: Other TRUE Hauntings from Around the World
  • Indian Herbalogy of North America
  • How to Date a Vampire
  • Ghosts I've Met
  • Relatively Risky (The Big Uneasy #1)
  • A Collection of Scary Stories (Creepy Collection #2)
  • High Bloods
  • The Riddle of the Gnome (Further Tales Adventures, #5)
  • Islands in the Sky (Voyage of the Basset 1)
  • Brick City: Global Icons to Make from Lego
  • Treasures of Fantasy
  • Wild Magic (Drinker of Souls: Wild Magic, #1)