Start by marking “Simplicity” as Want to Read:
Simplicity

Simplicity

Simplicity is THE classic work about making the complicated simple, from world-renowned writer and philosopher Edward de Bono. From confusing manuals to uninterpretable jargon to bureaucratic red-tape, modern life can be highly complicated and frustrating. For many of us it is almost impossible to make sense of. In Simplicity, lateral-thinking guru Edward de Bono shows us ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Penguin UK (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Simplicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplicity

Harikrishnan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas are in no way new for the current generation given the plethora of self help coaches and gurus. However the presentation of those ideas in this book is clean and direct with relevant examples. It's the kind of book which you would want to keep a copy of in your personal drawer and use as a reference.
Shravanthi
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simplicity – Edward de Bono - A Review :

A book that lived up to its name. It was simple and effective. There were about 10 ‘rules’ of simplicity outlined throughout the book. Combined with ample examples it was a stupendous effort to explain the concept of ‘Simplifying’ (or in de Bono’s words, ‘simping’ – a simpler word for simplifying).

Edward de Bono made me wonder if the existing systems were based on clueless designs and if there was any thought put into them. It can’t be, right? There must
Goran
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simplicity is value itself, not many people realize that. Till this book I never really gave thought on simplicity as value. This book explains in details why simplicity is important in everything we do and why one should always strive to do things as simple as possible. Very insightful book, at the end de Bono gives The Ten Rules of Simplicity. They go as follows:

1. You need to put a very high value on simplicity
2. You must be determined to seek simplicity.
3. You need to understand the matter v
Qu
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: logic
Currently half way through this book: on chapter 9 (page 159)

“The real purpose of thinking is to abolish thinking.” (19)
The L game
Page 55-57: Simplicity is not easy (the basis of humour)
Page 65 – Complexity has its value
103 – The difference between a value and a benefit
119 - 'zero-based' assessment
Page 123 - the challenge process
The lazier a person is, the more likely is that person to seek simpler ways to do things. (126)
151 - Perhaps the most powerful concept is 'you are giving yourself a pres
La pointe de la sauce
'In order to make something simple you have to know your subject very well indeed.' In this age of info tech, there is a drive to constantly reinvent the wheel without any real analysis of the problem. This book does not only discuss the beauty of simplicity but does it without damning the sometimes essential complex process required to simplify a system.
Ben
I very much enjoyed the overriding ideas presented in this book. Simplicity is something that at all times should be strived for because through simplifying we can turn our eye towards further improvement and achievement. I felt that at times the book was repetitive or phrasing the same ideas in a different way, which is where it loses a couple of stars.
Hazliza Latip
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title itself represent the book. Mainly this book focuses on how to simplify things.. As for me, engineering taught me about complexity, but simplicity do occur in complexity. It make us realize, life is simple as you know how to manage. A must read book!
Joel Gray
THERE IS NEVER ANY JUSTIFICATION FOR THINGS BEING COMPLEX WHEN THEY COULD BE SIMPLE.

An expert is someone who has succeeded in making decisions and judgements simpler through knowing what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

Cartoonists are always facing the challenge to simplify.

The main aim of communication is clarity and simplicity.

Simplicity is hard work if you dont know the subject well.

Simplistic approaches miss the true complexity of the situation.

Over-simplificiation means you have simp
Pooja Rai
the book revolves around its title ofcourse, but the ideas in it would seem redundant.it gives an insight into the importance of simplicity and how it is different from simplistic or oversimplifying.
i also liked how he has sticked to what he says and thus has kept the book very clean and simple. so that when you read it, you ll feel like this book is not meant for intellectuals.( because its so simple and not complex which will challenge your intellect) but i understood that the knowledge this
Shenyu
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mauz Ahmed
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-buy
Reread and buy
Mavromou
Un libro muy interesante al estilo De Bono en donde explica las bondades de la simplicidad y como obtenerla.

Talal
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking.
Leo Bali
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
somehow i felt he is repeating the same idea more than once .
Tiru Arasu
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice way to think
abatage
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Edward De Bono comes with a lofty reputation of being one of the foremost thinkers of his time. He's responsible for teaching organisations the productive use of lateral thinking and changed the way that the world communicates with his 'six thinking hats' theory. Can the concept of simplicity match up to the world-changing ideas that he's known for?

I'm not the one to answer that question, because this is the first book of his that I've read. However, the reputation that motivated me to pick up
David Bystricky
Well, you'd think that a book about simlicity is per definitionem simple, consise, to the point, right? Wrong. Endless, babbling, repetitive and chaotic. The subject, however important and expertly approached, could have been dealt with on 20 pages. But who'd buy a 20-pager fir the price of a book then?
Tarek El-Tabey
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being my first read for de Bono, I actually liked the book, I find the way of explaining the idea is quite as the title "simple" and comprehensive enough for us as community workers and developers to work out the idea or the value of "Simplicity" into our lives in large scales as in our country or smaller scales as our peer groups and organizations ...

I do recommend the book, for whoever need to adapt the value of simplicity in Business or Community organization, however I would not recommend it
Max
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was excellent, though when I picked this book I obviously didn't think of my own entertainment. This book was very boring and even though it says "Simplicity" on the cover, I found this book complex and difficult, not because I am either dumb or stupid, but because it really WAS complex!
In some parts the complexity was irregular and sometimes I drifted off and found myself reading not an actual book, but scribbles of ink.
Edward De Bono is smart and I have no reason to be critical of his bo
Finlay
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinking-skills
(re-read Oct 2013) What a great book. Simplicity is not a natural outcome -- you have to choose it as a value, and actively seek to achieve it. I was very inspired by this book years ago when I first read it, and it was neat to see how many of the ideas I repeat all the time to others (without remembering that this book was the original source).
Joe Thacker
One of the first to get across the difference between being simplistic vs. simple, that making things simple should be a core objective in all areas of life. Don't remember if I ever finished the book, like most books the first 1/3rd of the book gives all the meat, it is worth a quick read, I give it 3 stars.
Alex Devero
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book will give you a lot of material to learn how to making the complicated simple. With a bit of training of the methods outlined in the book, you will learn how to dig deeper and find what really matters. Simplicity will give you number of interesting and sometimes funny ideas about how to bring simplicity into your life.
Abe Hanara
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. An interesting perspective from one of the worlds industry leaders in thinking. The complexity of interactions particularly in the business world and the media are discussed and the effect of this complexity is mirrored in the way we think. Great read for those that value simplicity
Dave
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the underling principle of the book, ie, systems have a tendency to become more complicated over time and simplicity needs to come about by design.
Unfortunately, the book doesn't follow its own message and is difficult to refer to, for example, there is no index.
Nevertheless, recommended.
Shreeyank Samudre
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Author explains us how literally EVERYTHING can be made simpler or at least thought to made simpler. From government programs to queues in Walmart to everyday tasks, Edward De Bono puts a unique perspective on 'simping'. And yes, don't jump to page no. 279 at the beginning!
Nikish Chanekar
I was expecting lot from this book. Topic of the book is extremely valuable one. And i do respect ideas of Edward debono. Yet, I feel book fell short of my expectations. Even then Author has made good attempt.
Alison
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Key techniques like "Provocative Amputation" make good visuals if not killer song title ideas.
Hardip Baria
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short & Sweet!!!!
Socrates Chinniah
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple perhaps
Neel Mani
Amazing book...Feels so light after reading it However is not just a one time read...Will probably go back to it again at a different time
I just lay my hands on it and finished it in one go!

• The Ingenuity Gap: Can We Solve the Problems of the Future?
  • The Living Company
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • Cyberia: Life in the Trenches of Cyberspace
  • Know Can Do!: Put Your Know-How Into Action
  • Intimacy and Solitude: Balancing Closeness and Independence
  • The Mind Gym: Relationships (The Mind Gym)
  • Cognition
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Why Not?: How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big And Small
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • Out of It: A Cultural History of Intoxication
  • The Power of Simplicity: A Management Guide to Cutting Through the Nonsense & Doing Things Right
  • Tuned in: Uncover the Extraordinary Opportunities That Lead to Business Breakthroughs
  • Photoreading
  • The Origins of Knowledge and Imagination
  • New World, New Mind: Changing the Way We Think to Save Our Future
  • Structure in Fives: Designing Effective Organizations

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Edward de Bono is a Maltese physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.