Start by marking “American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)” as Want to Read:
American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)

American Assassin (Mitch Rapp #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  58,758 Ratings  ·  2,949 Reviews
Mitch Rapp is a gifted college athlete who just wants retribution for the Pan Am Lockerbie attack. He trains six months intensely with other clandestine operatives, under CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield and protégé Irene Kennedy, to stop terrorists before they reach America. The assassin leaves a trail of bodies from Istanbul across Europe to Beirut, where he nee ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Atria Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about American Assassin, please sign up.
Suzanne Smith Santellanes I agree- Lee Child's Reacher series is good, David Baldacci's - John Puller series & Camel Club series. For crime series with less military -…moreI agree- Lee Child's Reacher series is good, David Baldacci's - John Puller series & Camel Club series. For crime series with less military - Michael Connelly's- Harry Bosch series, Mickey Haller series, William Kent Krueger's - O'Connor series, C.J. Box's- Pickett Series, Steve Hamilton's - McKnight series.... hope he finds any of these enjoyable! I know my Dad has also enjoyed Clive Cussler's books... I haven't gotten to him yet! :) Good luck!(less)
Lillian Gallatin The movie is horrible and has very little connection to the book. The book sets the stage for the Mitch Rapp series (in fact, I think VF went back and…moreThe movie is horrible and has very little connection to the book. The book sets the stage for the Mitch Rapp series (in fact, I think VF went back and wrote American Assassin after he had written a couple of books in the series in order to tie them together). The movie changes the basis for why Mitch Rapp becomes an assassin; it totally screws up the plot and completely changes the bad guy into a good guy and changes how he's killed (a major part of one of the books so it's important). Honestly, read the book - it's far better than the movie and will set the stage for subsequent books in the series. I think all the movie did was to ensure there would never be another Mitch Rapp movie made.(less)

Marcie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They need to hire me to proof for them. I’ve come across more than a few books with an unacceptable amount of typos here lately. Is no one reading this stuff before it goes to press?

And I’m not that much of an anal freak, but 20 typos before page 78 is too many.

The reason for my annoyance is because Vince Flynn is a great writer, and I believe I read he is dyslexic, thus he does not have a dedicated team supporting him. That’s a shame because his Mitch Rapp novels tap into the raw emotion of rea
David Johnston
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some people are addicted to drugs. I am happily addicted to Vince Flynn's books and the exploits of his truly American hero, Mitch Rapp. My wife and daughter share my addiction, but they have not had their fix yet because I got to read Flynn's newest book first. Which is only fair since I bought it. My only complaint is that now I will have to wait another year for the next book. Withdrawal can be tough.

Oh, about the book? C'mon, it's Vince Flynn and Mitch Rapp. This one is about how Mitch got h
Vijai
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
Look, here's something about us diehard action-thriller fanboys - we will forgive an author's imprudence with a few weak spots in the plot now and then as long as we get our action-gasm in totality but what we don't do is tolerate preachy one-sided-win story. Two ingredients which this author is dishing out in heaps in this book.

I am not even going to talk about the piss poor editing, its the gross injustice that has been meted out to Mitch Rapp that I am very disappointed with. It took Mr. Fly
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-mm, audio
3.5 Stars

I’m not gonna lie. The majority of the reason why I started this series was because a certain somebody is starring in the movie version out this September. So as a fangirl, it’s only prudent and necessary to see what this is all about. It’s also not a secret that I love me a military spy action thriller, and with the added bonus of DoB?? That combo is just too hard to resist.

Depending on what kind of reader you are, you can start with Transfer of Power, which was the first book publish
Hiroto
Oh Dylan, Dylan, Dylan my good dude why.

Where do I start? The character development is piss poor. So our good Mitch Rapp (wtf is this name? it sounds so dumb??) lost his father at 13yo because of a heart attack and his highschool sweetheart in a terrorist attack so he's super familiar with death (ok?) and his heart is bursting with REVENGE. Coincidentally he's picked out by Langlsey wich is like a branch of the CIA, even thought he didn't do antyhing to be noticed (ok??) and he's sent off to a s
Scott
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start with a couple of important points before I get knee deep in my review. First, this is my first time reading a Vince Flynn “Mitch Rapp” book. I have a friend who enjoys reading Lee Child’s “Reacher” series like I do, and he recommended this series to me. Second, I understand there was a less than stellar editing work done on this book in the series as noted in several of the Goodreads reviews I read online. I agree with these points, but am moving past them.

Now for my review… Wow! I
Sara
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was exceptional with one disclaimer... it was obviously rushed to publishing with little editing. While waiting for my copy to arrive I read that other fans had noticed more than the occasional typos in the text and were bothered by them. I wondered if perhaps they were being a little over the top. Unfortunately, I found myself equally bothered. It is understandable that sometimes a "i" will be replaced with an "l" (as in the word "cabbie" being written as "cabble" in the last portion of th ...more
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A decent prequel to the entire MITCH RAPP series, though i did not feel it was Flynn's best. It introduces us to the renegade agent that RAPP becomes and how he got that ice water running through his veins.
A.M. Khalifa
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, and Mr. Flynn was an exceptionally gifted writer. May he rest in peace.
Doug Bradshaw
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is good tough American male stuff. I enjoyed as much as some of you women readers enjoy a romance novel with handsome vampires and whatnot. It made me almost laugh to read it, like going back in time to the joy of reading my first three or four Ludlum novels.

This is the 11th book in a series about a CIA assassin named Mitch Rapp. It is the prequel to the other already told stories and I was told I may as well read it first. It's not quite as sophisticated as Jack Bauer and "24", but it has
Lena
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cia

”Retribution is a punishment that is morally right and fully deserved.”

This was even better than expected! It’s Tom Clancy minus the infodumps, James Bond with out the misogyny and absurdity, Jason Bourn without all the mystery - This. Was. Good.

Mitch Rapp is a gifted college athlete who lost the love of his life when terrorist put a bomb on Pan Am Flight 103- it exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland. This transformed Rapp and he came to the notice of Irene Kennedy, CIA, who had been looking for
Lindsay
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was curious about the Vince Flynn series featuring Mitch Rapp since the books do well on the NY Times Bestseller list and I like thrillers. I was less than thrilled to see endorsements by folks of the Glenn Beck ilk. Nevertheless, I read this book, and likened it to a "less well-written-than-the-Bourne-series" book. In other words, I prefer the writing of Robert Ludlum. This is a spy versus spy story, with the requisite close calls, seemingly impossible dilemmas, and shoot-outs. A bit too much ...more
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jan 14, 2018 marked it as to-read

🔪Mitch takes no shit home!
🔪All the time while reading this book I will imagine Dylan O’brien, because yes.
Kevin
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, how in the world have I missed this author, these characters, these books?! You know that feeling you get when you realize you found a new (to you) outstanding author and he/she has piles of books you have not yet read? I think I may have teared up a little, but if not an actual tear, I at least danced. At the risk of oversimplifying... this book rocked! It reminded me a bit of a Lee Child book where the main character is still affiliated with the military. Great characters, deep courage and ...more
Meags
4 Stars

Fast-paced with a tight plot, American Assassin is the introductory story (in a long and ongoing series) following CIA counter-terrorist super-spy Mitch Rapp.

Although the 11th published release of the series, American Assassin is set first, chronologically speaking, and showcases how (and why) young Mitch was originally recruited by the CIA.

I enjoyed the hell out of this story! Here, Flynn created an impressively written action/thriller story, featuring some damn cool characters.

I'll m
Isaa Jason
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
✫✬✪ 3/5 STARS ✪✭✫

Genre: Thriller > Spy Thriller > Espionage

__________________
✎Review:

I liked it. This was a book that i've read, and thats it. I would not think about it much after. Also, i would not read the rest in the series. I purely read this for the movie.

---------------------
♥The Characters:

Well, we got a lot of them, but i really only remember only 2. Mitch of course, but thats because he's the main character. He's smart, but i do think that Vince Flynn is too much focused on Mitc
Chuck
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although I don't think many people actually follow what I say, I have to retract the criticism I made of Flynn's last few books. Actually, I'm not going to retract them, because they were true--Flynn was letting his ideology get in the way of the storytelling. Rather, I will say that he's returned to the stuff that made his earlier work great--compelling characters, amazing story lines, and a breathtaking adventure that leaves you sorry when the book ends.

Flynn takes his hero, Mitch Rapp, back t
Rachel Amphlett
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a word, superb.

This is why I love reading thrillers - every now and again, you discover a new series, read the first one and make a decision halfway through that you're going to devour the rest of the author's work as fast as possible.

I'd been hearing things about this series for a couple of years but other commitments kept me away. I'm kicking myself - hard.

Flynn's writing is fluid, he keeps the words simple while providing enough information that lets the reader's imagination to fly. I'd co
Lewis Weinstein
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok, so it's really mindless macho action from beginning to end, but you know what you're getting and Flynn does it well. For me, it's a break from research & writing, so it serves a useful purpose.
Les Aucoin
Feb 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Flimsy. Wholly lacking merit, even in the mindless "beach book" world that Flynn inhabits. Where it not for the brand he created among knuckle-draggers years before publishing became impoverished/selective, this author would never break through with this claptrap. I'm trying earnestly to write a political thriller with a modicum of merit. Flynn's only value to me is to demonstrate what to avoid.
Dave
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shallow and predictable. Don't bother, you've seen this character and read this story a hundred times before.
Deborah Gray
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I moderately enjoyed the book and had no trouble finishing it- although far too much viciously gratuitous violence in far too much detail - but could not really relate to many of the characters, including Mitch Rapp, the MC. Despite the fact that this book took us back to his training and the motivation behind becoming a black ops assassin for the US government, there still seemed to be a disconnect, and barely developed relationships that don't seem to go anywhere.

I gave 3 stars, which equates
Ctgt
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick, mostly by the numbers thriller that came to a fairly abrupt conclusion. A couple of differences including an interesting off the books scenario and a main character who doesn't have a military background make the series just intriguing enough for me to try the second book...but just barely.

5/10
Giovanni Gelati
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am putting it out there in the first sentence; I think this is the best novel I have read this year. Yes, I am a big Mitch Rapp fan; I think anyone that has followed this blog knows I love the character as much as I enjoy some of the big names out there today. Vince Flynn just hits a grand slam as he uses American Assassin, a prequel, to explain for us in tremendous detail, what makes Mitch Rapp so Mitch Rapp. I loved every word of it!
Here is a piece from the inside jacket: ”Before he was con
Ashish Iyer
Vince Flynn doesn't disappoint with this superbly smart, detailed, high-action spy thriller that makes you feel that you have security clearance to even read the book. Flynn's unparalleled access into the minds and motivations of his characters and the fast-paced timing of his novels, makes this a gold star winner. Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of his books, and American Assassin is no exception. This is the kind of book that you can tell who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, an ...more
Kent Horner
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I purchased this paperback from Amazon for 0.97 cents. I was introduced to Vince Flynn thru a co-worker who has read all 12 of the Mitch Rapp (main character) series. I read the 1st one called "Transfer of Power" and really enjoyed it. "American Assassin" is #11 of the series but is actually the prequel to all the other Mitch Rapp novels. Flynn has been compared to Tom Clancy without the in depth, technical jargon. I've never read any of Clancy's books but have seen most of the movies based on ...more
Liviu Szoke
Un thriller cinstit, fără pretenții extraordinare, dar cu două personaje extrem de interesante: Mitch Rapp, eroul imaginat de Vince Flynn, protagonistul unei serii ce numără deja șaptesprezece volume (dintre care doar primele treisprezece, inclusiv cel de față, care este un prequel apărut în 2010, au fost scrise de Vince Flynn), și Stan Hurley (cu mustață în carte, fără mustață în film, probabil Michael Keaton ar fi fost de nerecunoscut cu mustață), un diavol bătrân, veteran al multor operațiuni ...more
Simona Stoica
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spioni, teroriști, asasinate, conspirații politice și o echipă pe care abia aștept să o reîntâlnesc în următoarele romane din serie. Page-turner.
Summer
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, kindle
Hoo boy. First things first: If you're interested in reading this because of the upcoming film, you'll likely be disappointed. The plot of this book and the plot of the movie seem completely different, with the only similarity being the presence of the main character.

Now the book itself is pretty much a handbook on toxic masculinity. It starts out pretty spectacularly, with the author likening a lack of honor to "emasculat[ion]" and "questioning the size of [one's] balls for as long as [one] li
Ashley
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: likes, books-i-own
Update:
I just finished rereading American Assassin for the second time. American Assassin was just as action-packed and jaw-dropping as I remembered it. But. The book didn't grab me and hold me hostage in order to force me to read the rest of the series back to back in a matter of day like the first time I read it. I still enjoyed it as much as I did the first time but it was missing something? Perhaps because I've already read it before and this just isn't a re-read type of book for me?
Either
SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops...: Question about American Assassin 2 22 Jan 15, 2018 10:52AM
Movie Upadate. 101 531 Aug 29, 2017 12:43PM
Dylan O'Brien Will Play Mitch Rapp in American Assassin 15 77 Aug 27, 2017 01:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 18 Mar 09, 2016 05:03PM
Suspense 12 98 Apr 09, 2015 08:53PM
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The Midnight House (John Wells, #4)
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine
More about Vince Flynn

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
“If you're not busy living, you're dying.” 35 likes
“Revenge is more wild, less calculated...deeply personal. Retribution is a punishment that is morally right and fully deserved. (Mitch Rapp)” 35 likes