Start by marking “Internecine” as Want to Read:
Internecine

Internecine

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
“Inter-what?” In the tradition of the Hitchcock-style “wrong man” spy thriller, with Internecine, veteran screenwriter David J. Schow shakes up the crime genre with a dash of post-cold war espionage conspiracy, a sprinkle of Hollywood secret history, and a whole lot of big guns…

When advertising executive Conrad Maddox returns from a red-eye flight and finds a mysterious lo
Published August 3rd 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published July 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Internecine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Internecine

Jason Edwards
In his novel Internecine, David J. Schow uses the word "internecine" a few times, and even has his narrator suggest one "look it up." Personally, I can't stand it when writers start a piece with a dictionary definition (my brother-in-law says I have a problem with authority, and he's right-- I denounce any authority the dictionary has been given by the sheep-like masses(what Internecine's narrator would call "the walking dead")) and while this novel doesn't explicitly do that, it might has well ...more
Josh
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read_2011
Conrad, a successful adman has his life transformed from the predictable to not knowing if he’s breathed his last breath. After collecting a rental car from an airport parking lot containing a mysterious briefcase later determined to be a ‘hit-kit’, Conrad’s former existence in the cut throat world of corporate politicking ends as he finds himself embroiled in another kind of cut throat occupation – one in which termination is permanent and symbolises more than just the end of a career.

Internec
Caressa
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Decent conspiracy theory tale if you can get past the mind numbing tangents. I tossed this book in the "Couldn't Finish" pile after the first 12 pages. Then I came down with a nasty cold and needed something to pass the time as I sniffled on the couch.

I'm a sucker for stories about everyday man being pulled into chaos/conspiracies/apocalyptic heroism. Why? Such paves the way for incredible character growth. I don't think Conrad rose to archetypal hero status by the end of Internecine, but it wa
Ken
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Since the novel never actually defines, 'internecine', I'll save you some time, and provide the meaning. The term relates to a struggle within a nation, organization, or group which can be mutually destructive, ruinous, or fatal to both sides, and is characterized by bloodshed or carnage. And, nothing comes closer to the theme of this terrific thriller.

When advertising executive Conrad Maddox returns from a flight and finds a mysterious locker key waiting in his rental car, life as he knows it
Ubiquitousbastard
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spy
Start off saying that I put this down for a few days because the first fifty pages were so good, I thought that the book had to get slow and boring afterward. I was mistaken. The only real complaint I had was the parts where the narrator would go off on a random subject and rant for two pages. The plot was terribly convoluted, but for some reason that just seemed to work with me and anyway Internecine wouldn't be very internecine if it was all simple and straightforward. Have to say that the las ...more
Jack
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inter- what? You ask yourself.

Like me, most of you will associate Dave Schow with horror short stories, or FANGORIA magazine. Because he'd gone all crime/thriller on us I was put off buying any of his newer novels. I normally only read horror fiction, but I gambled on GUN WORK, a novel written by Schow, a few months ago. I couldn't put it down. This resulted in me ordering INTERNECINE, and his latest, UP GUNNED.

INTERNECINE is a modern day Hitchcock thriller. The wrong man, a joe average, in th
Ed
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and far fetched ;but entertaining
Martin
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Someone let DJS write a noir/action picture for Frank Darabont for FOOK's sake...
Tim
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
very good book. takes the buddy action movie forumula, ties it in a knot, turns it on its head then twists it some more.
highly reccomended
Jason
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
The first 200 pages were excellent, but it was all downhill from there.
David Agranoff
Full review coming
Ji
Jan 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
The book is overly complicated and the story doesn't flow very well. It may be for someone smarter than me as I didn't find it exciting to walk through the narrator's constant monologues.
Nick Martin
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Absolutely mind bottling, an ordinary individual is thrown into a vast world of imagination. Very interesting use of language in this reading, very inventive.
Mark
Apr 25, 2015
Lynda
Sep 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • One Night Stands and Lost Weekends
  • Try Fear (Ty Buchanan)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Devil's Garden
  • Noise
  • Empty Mile
  • Tombstoning
  • 24 Declassified: Death Angel
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • The Rules of Silence
  • The California Roll
David J. Schow is an American author of horror novels, short stories, and screenplays, associated with the "splatterpunk" movement of the late '80s and early '90s. Most recently he has moved into the crime genre.
More about David J. Schow...

Fiction Deals

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99