Start by marking “Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)” as Want to Read:
Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)

Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  210 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Hailey Cain has a history of testing the limits of her fate: as a fearless bike messenger on the twisted, competitive streets of San Francisco; as a young female cadet in a sea of men at West Point. But Hailey also has secrets--the biggest of which led her to leave the academy just two months short of graduation, two months away from becoming a lieutenant in the U.S. Army. ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Crown (first published May 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hailey's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hailey's War

Tara Chevrestt
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, arc, 2010-release
***A PLEADING NOTE. PLEASE BRING THIS SERIES BACK!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING TWO YEARS FOR BOOK THREE!!!!!***

The word adrenaline is what comes to mind as I try to find a way to describe this story. This book is like a sleek, sexy, ten cyclinder sports car going 180 mph in a world full of four door, four cylinder Ford Escorts going 45.

Hailey is 24, has failed or dropped out of West Point, and is living paycheck to paycheck as a bike messenger in San Fran. She's got this friend tho, Serena, a hard as
Caitlin
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book caught me completely by surprise. I expected it to be more young adult than adult and for some reason I really didn't expect it to be such a great thriller.

Hailey's War is complusively readable (as in I dare you to put it down). Smart, engaging, elegantly plotted, this is a thriller with a difference - interesting and competent female characters run the show here - and what a show it is.

Ms. Compton has carefully created characters who feel real, but who also have plausible reasons for
Renee
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an unexpectedly compelling thriller. And just when you think it's all wrapped up or that there are some loose ends you're not meant to tie up, there's a final twist. It was a satisfying read. Hailey's War read a little bit like Chevy Steven's Still Missing and Hilary Davidson's two books. There's also a tiny bit of a modern day Kinsey Millhone of Sue Grafton's alphabet series.
Amy Meyer
Release Date: June 2010
Publisher: Crown Publishing
Genre: Mystery; Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Publisher: Twenty-four-year-old Hailey Cain has dropped out of the US Military Academy for reasons she won't reveal. She has had to leave Los Angeles and it would be too big a risk for her to return. Now working as a bike messenger in San Francisco, Hailey keeps a low profile, until her high school best friend Serena Delgad
Nancy
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A book not to be missed this year is Hailey's War by Jodi Compton. Hailey's life has gone deeply south as she doesn't graduate from West Point with her class. She goes West in search of her cousin C.J. who has made it big in hip-hop and would love to give her a place to stay. While driving her beater car one afternoon, a toddler runs out in front of her and is killed. Not her fault but the child is the only son of Lucius Marsellus. A music mogul in his own right and not a person to be messin' wi ...more
William Bentrim
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-swap
Hailey’s War by Jodi Compton

Hailey is a bike courier with a secret. She left West Point under unknown circumstances but what she learned there, keeps her alive through some harrowing circumstances. She truly believes in honor, respect and loyalty.

Hailey is an enigma in this story to both her friends and her enemies. She has a secret that she refuses to share. The author did a great job in maintaining mystery regarding that secret until the final conclusion.

There is artful misdirection in much
Susan Botich
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This story was very well-written but it took me a while to get into it. At first, I thought it might not be something I wanted to finish - the main character too foreign from me in her view of the world, the plot too urban L.A., the driving force behind the story too acerbic. But, I was drawn in by Compton's expertise in threading the subtlety of the characters' "faults" with certain virtues and taking the simple who-done-it mystery genre into whole new territory. Excellent writing there.

I would
Cj
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
As a first-person narrator, Hailey is a smart, spunky, and entertaining raconteur. She knows her own strengths, but is also funny and self-deprecating. To enjoy this book, one must have a great deal of tolerance for gang-slang, since Serena and her male and female compatriots speak a particular lingo that is indigenous to those living "la vida loca" in Los Angeles. Although the adventure on which Hailey embarks is action-packed and engrossing, the characters are thinly drawn and, as the story pr ...more
Tyra
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very fast read for me and a nice change from the chick lit I normally read. I had the same basic issues that I do with most suspense/thrillers in that I find the whole plot hard to believe and that the characters all can do what they do in the book. That said, I enjoyed the story and the fact that it was set in CA only added to my enjoyment.

BTW - the Barnes and Nobles synopsis that Goodread shows for this book is NOT for this story. This one is about a kidnapped girl and the gangs in
Kim Galla
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: ARC
ARC from Read-it-Forward.com

After dropping out of West Point four months before graduation, Hailey gets to play soldier while directing a reconnaissance mission between a Latino gang and a Greek organized crime boss. An unexpected ending, something I've never read before. I don't want to use the clichéd “she's facing her inner self,” but I'm glad she finds direction in the end.
Jespin
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
i thought this was a good book, it was interesting and i liked the suspense of what was to come. Hailey made for an interesting character and i liked reading about how her life was progressing whilst some parts of the book made me cringe at its graphic description it made for a fantastic read.
Nancywboca
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book and the narrators definitely did a great job!! I found the story had a good flow which is important to me. I didn't love this book but I did think it was above average.
Nique
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Never wanted to put it down. It's action-packed and you really get sucked in. You care about the characters immediately. I was actually really mad at the abrupt ending though! Glad the sequel will be out next month!!!
Jonna
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tell-me-a-story
Absolutely not what I expected, but I ended up really enjoying this one. I was sitting on the edge of my seat. The ending held a few surprises that made me reevaluate the entire story.
Julie
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
It was okay. Not one of my favorites.
Cheryl
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. It had a lot of action in it. This was an I uncorrected proof that I received
Tess Martinez
Absolutely my favorite protagonist since Nicola Griffith's Aud (from The Blue Place, Stay, and Always)or Steig Larsson's Salander. Thank you for this character, Ms. Compton!
Sally
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sucked me right in...likely won't come back up for air until I finish. Best kind of book for a winter storm warning night.
Debbie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Interesting characters and unexpected story line.
N Rowe
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
wonderful book
Terryann
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
i loved hailey. i loved all of the characters in this book. particularly good characterization over all. i was a bit disappointed in the ending, but am hoping there is a sequal:)
Kay
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is one I didn't want to put down. It moves quickly but certainly not quietly.
LordOfTheReads
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
Victoria
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
First person, very entertaining character.
Sam McCarthy
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
made a nice change from my normal choices. not too long and easy reading, felt the ending was a little abrupt though.
Nancy
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a gritty story, but the writing is very compelling. I enjoyed the suspense and the twists of the story.
Heidi Chickerell
Aug 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I couldn't connect with this and I tried. Adding it to my DNF
Alice
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good suspense, surprising conclusion.
Kyla
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining.
Yasmina
I'm not sure how to review this one. All I can say is that Hailey's story definitely isn't over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Stardust
  • The End of Marking Time
  • Credo's Hope
  • Agent in Old Lace
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • The Man from Saigon
  • The Good Boy
  • Through the Heart
  • Bulletproof Mascara
  • Saint Training
  • Your Presence Is Requested at Suvanto
Jodi Compton, like Hailey Cain, is "Californian in a way a lot of people are Californian; I was born someplace else." Jodi has lived in California since the age of one, except for a brief stint in Minneapolis. In addition to the two Hailey Cain novels, Jodi is the author of two novels about Minneapolis detective Sarah Pribek, The 37th Hour and Sympathy Between Humans. She currently lives outside S ...more
More about Jodi Compton...

Hailey's War (2 books)
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)