Start by marking “King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)” as Want to Read:
King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)

King's Wrath (Valisar Trilogy #3)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  970 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The thrilling conclusion to the breathtaking saga of power, blood, birthright, and enchantment.

The barbarian King Loethar may have gained his throne through brutality and bloodshed, but he has ruled Penraven with unexpected wisdom. Now his innumerable past sins threaten his reign—as Valisars who escaped slaughter prepare to rise up. Loyalties shift and new alliances are fo
Published November 30th 2010 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about King's Wrath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Wrath

Pierre Debar
As this is the final book of the Valisar trilogy, I have reread the two previous tomes before reading this one.

King's Wrath is the weakest of the three. I enjoyed most of it but suddenly it feels like McIntosh had to rush to finish the story.
Surely, the end is exactly like she had in her mind but it is not as well developed as the rest of the saga.

McIntosh is able to create very likable or hateable characters and make us witness their trials, errors, moral dilemmas, moment of happiness or sorrow
Jenny
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a deeply analytical person about reading this sort of stuff. I love a good story that gets you involved and this was it. I liked some of the twists, and enjoyed the build of tension to the ending, which I also really liked. Just a good ole fashioned fantasy read.
Danie Cutter
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Great book in the usual tradition of McIntosh. However it seemed too much of a "answering" everything, maybe another book was needed to make it more of a story and less of an explanation. The wide and varied narrative of the previous two in the series set a precedent that the third book did not live up to.

Having said that it was entertaining and I will be buying the next series but maybe downgrade it to a "wait for the paperback".
Becky
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A climatic end to the series. All the surviving characters from the previous books are drawn together to see who will end up ruling the Empire. Lots of loose ends tied up and a few surprises! If you like magic and suspense combined then go and start at the beginning of this series or even to the first of 12 books by Fiona which are set in the same fantasy world.
Aimee
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you've read the others and don't mind them then you will be okay with this one as it's more of the same. Same characters with annoyingly unclear motivations, falling in love with perfect strangers, making odd decisions just so that the plot can work out okay and characters can meet 'fortuitously', etc. It just got boring by the end.

The plot twists would have been good of it wasn't for the way the author tries to make you like unlikeable characters in a really awkward way, 'revealing' inner go
Annie Castaneda
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg! A cliffhanger? There better be a 4th book! Despite the bad editing and the bad reviews, I really enjoyed this saga!
Rebecca
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first half of this book was a little heavy going, but after that I really enjoyed it. This was a strong trilogy and I am looking forward to reading the other trilogy I have by Fiona McIntosh.
Katie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
5* for the story
3* for the editing

Whoever edited this didn't do a good job. As far as I could see there weren't any spelling or grammatical errors but there were inconsistencies. For example, at one point Brighthelm was called Brighthelmstone, Queen Iselda was called Isadora, and Leo was called Loethar's half-brother instead of nephew. Bit confusing.

The story was really good though and it leaves it open for another book! However, I must admit I did find the ending a bit rushed as I would have li
Adam Bourke
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In my experience of reading McIntosh's previous books, the endings have been fairly weak and anticlimactic. If it wasn't for the fact that the first two and a half books of her trilogies are generally extremely good then she wouldn't be one of my favourite authors. This series however, and particularly this book, was the exception. The majority of the series was, while still well-written, loose and unfocused. But the ending was possibly the most exciting one that McIntosh has written.

Unfortunate
Swiftsea
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Completely unbelievable an ending. Everything builds up then falls in patters, returning to solid ground. Without missing of course, Fiona Mcintosh's notable traits of almost-seeming worthless deaths. Moreover, the incredible bounds of magic that interplay, though striking and awe-inspiring, lead to the pointlessness of the magic existing in the first place.

I really dislike the mish-mash excuse they often place in fantasy stories. Where everything is because of a 'god' or 'goddess' decree. It's
Quigui
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was with some trepidation and apprehension that I approached the final instalment of the Valisar Trilogy. In the year that has passed since I read the second book of the series, I managed to read the Percheron Trilogy, and found it lacking in the ending department.

Much had happened already in last 2 books, and I was expecting another action filled story. There was a sense of finality to this book - all the players were known, they were all getting into position, showing their cards, all conve
Ditchthebun
I am actually going to write about the whole series here, I figure if you got to this book then you have read the first two right?
Okay I suppose I should preface this review by saying that I am a huge fan of Fiona McIntosh’s work (except that Myrren’s Gift series, I just cannot get into that series – have tried 3 times now haha). For years her Trinity series were my favourite books, I adored the Percheron series and now this series… well…

The characters were great, I think the development and dep
Holly Anderson
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Ruth
Oct 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'll start this out with a positive; despite not being too excited about the first 2 books in this series I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened in the end, which is always a good thing. There were interesting plot points and enough of them to keep me guessing and I hate leaving a series unfinished. But I seriously considered just not bothering with this one. The main problem with the series and most particularly with King's Wrath is that I just could not care about the charac ...more
Rudra Roy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILERS
first of all i curse my childhood habit of makin sure to finish a novel no matter how boring or offencive i find it.. because this is the Most stupid piece of rubbish i have read in last couple of years. .
and i have read some really rubbish stuff in name of fantasy in last 2-3 years (having read around 250 fantasy novels in this period)
while the first part was enjoyable the 2nd nd 3rd part just shows the bankruptcy of the author.there is no coherency. .no logic no underling theme ..i m
Libby Lanser
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone needing a good medieval fantasy read
I'm going to give an overall review for the series here. So, spoiler alert most likely!

This was my first taste of Fionna's work and I have to say that I enjoyed. I am a sap for characters. I usually can always find one that I solidly love. Fionna gave me several to love. Some I came to hate and vice versa. While reading Wrath, I kept wondering if she really did do what she says her writing method is. No planning. Just writing. It felt planned and sometimes was easily predictable. She has an ease
Kathleen
Le dernier livre de la trilogie "Valisar" est de loin le meilleur! Mais comme pour les deux autres, j'ai pas mal de problèmes avec certaines parties de l'histoire. Bien que l'histoire s'enchaine énormément bien, il y avait des passages où franchemet j'en avait marre et parfois des scènes qui étaient tellement agacantes que j'avais envie de fermer le livre et ne plus jamais y toucher (par exemple les scènes d'insta love entre quasiement chaque personnage!). Je me suis attachée à certains personna ...more
Zaryna
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I've just got to say what an amazing author Fiona Mcintosh is! Every single one of her books i have read in my life so far have been completely 100% brilliant!!!
Whilst reading this last book of the Valisar Trilogy in particular my mind finds it hard to comprehend how she can truly write something so amazing and complex in every way that it seems to have been created by a god.
I may seem to be quite over exaggerating right now (i know i am) but i don't know how else to stress the fact the who ever
Robin 55077
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
One thing that stands out most to me after reading King's Wrath is the fact that McIntosh took one of our most beloved characters from the middle book in the series, Leo, and revealed him as very unlikable in the final book of the trilogy. I absolutely loved it! I really enjoy when a writer surprises me and Fiona certainly delivered with King's Wrath. I really enjoyed the trilogy but thought she did a very nice job in the final book of not giving you quite the normal ending you usually get. Abso ...more
Kaarina
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
What can I say? This was a great trilogy. Although, I must admit I didn't enjoy the final book as much as the previous two only because this was the conclusion of the story and the focus was on making all the pieces fall into place so it lacked the unpredictable chaos that I loved in the previous books.

I do think I enjoyed the Percheron series more because this ending was a bit too 'neat' and didn't make me the emotional wreck that took days to recover from like Percheron did. Nevertheless, I LO
Alice Tsai
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE this book, its ups and downs, its twist and turns, the whole lot! absolutely amazing!!! half way through the second book, i was sort of lost, didn know whether i'd like where the book was heading, but half way through this book, i couldnt stop myself! Love the De Vis brothers for their loyalty and sense of duty, love the outlaws and the barbarians...

I thought the book ended on a good note, although it was extrememly sad for Gav, but i liked it. It was touching and emotional...
Christel Mirassou
Une fin de trilogie trop courte malgré un livre très épais, c'est dire à quel point j'ai aimé cette histoire. Vraiment Fiona McIntosh sait nous tenir en allène avec un récit écrit au cordeau. Rien n'ai laissé de côté, tout ce tient. Elle a même réussit un brillant renversement de situation ou le "méchant" devient le "gentil" et inversement, et tout ça se fait sans que l'on se pose de questions. Vraiment cette trilogie est extraordinaire et même, à mon avis, meilleure à la première. J'attends ave ...more
Marilyn
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-trilogy
Continued with this series to see how it would wrap up. Was it worth it? I did not like the style of writing, found it to be very short and clipped. It was one of these trilogies that I felt a relief when I finished rather than hoping the series would never end. It jumped from one point of view to another way too quickly, not really letting you know and care about one character more than any other.
Sandy Vaile
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I knew the 3rd book in the Valisar trilogy would be good, because I loved the pace and intricacy of the others, but this epic power struggle was mind blowing.
Friends turned to enemies, new alliances were formed and I was on the edge of my seat during the final battle. This was a fast-paced tale during which the characters developed so much that I couldn't help like some I'd previously hated. It was epic!
Maaike
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reading
Overall the series were fun. There were mysteries, action and interesting characters (although there were all a bit too likable). However, this last book was very predictable and started to annoy me halfway through. All the storylines were wrapped up in a real convenient way and it became unbelieveble and boring.
Nadia_nao
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dislike
Last of the Valisar Trilogy... I must say, i love Fiona's books. However, i was a bit disappointed with the ending and how rushed it was.
The beginning was good and full of anticipation. But the further you read the more events keep pilling up then suddenly conclude in a single or two at most chapters !!!!
In any case, it's a good read and others may like the ending ^^
Lauren
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series was excellent. Fast paced storyline with so many secrets & lies! As a reader your perception was constantly challenged. I did feel this book came absolutley flying to its completion but most of the storylines were sorted out with room left for a continuing saga at a later time. I love Fiona McIntosh's writing style and this series was great!!!
Charly
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
A bit of a disappointing ending to what was an enjoyable series. The big secret of the Valisar magic was resolved in a trite way and a bit too much with the coupling up of the characters. I still liked the series, but just wish the ending had been a bit more sophisticated.
Mona
Aug 26, 2012 added it
An well-laid out book, as usual Fiona McIntosh delivers another book well worth the read. However unlike the previous books in this trilogy, King's Wrath is slightly lacking in plot. The pace of the book seemes somewhat rushed and the ending could have been improved on.
Kathy
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My comment is about series the ages of pevin not consisted. Reuth clovis wife readmerging in story dies not add up her and clovis cannot have viisited pivehn at 10 year mark and still have lived at vested villiage for two years afters death and still be there
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Return Part II & The Last Story (Remember Me, #2-3)
  • The Starthorn Tree
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh

Valisar Trilogy (3 books)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)