Start by marking “The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)

The Perfect Woman

(Detective John Stallings #1)

One Man’s Obsession…
Pharmacy clerk William Dremmel is hooked—on drugging pretty young women and lulling them into slow, blissfully quiet deaths. Then he packs his victims in luggage—a nod to the cops that he works alone. Dremmel’s no fool, he’s also a college professor. He just likes using his intellect for darker purposes….

Is Another Man’s Anguish…
Haunted by his own daugh
Published April 1st 2010 by Pinnacle Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Woman

Start your review of The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
Erth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Krystl Louwagie
I started this book with low hopes-yes, another free Kindle book (well, I've actually had fairly good luck with them) but I've had bad luck with murder mystery/cop detective stories-I'm usually not too impressed/entertained by them. And while this book didn't seem exceptional, it did keep my interest. I enjoyed reading it-and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe the writing and characterization was better than other ones of the genre I've read? Or maybe I just love my Kindle so much, I enjoy everythi ...more
Lance
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Woman is a story of the hunt for a serial killer who uses young petite women as "subjects"in his experiments of finding the perfect mix of prescription drigs to keep them lucid but not fully functioning. If a subject doesn't make it through a trial she is stuffed into a suitcase after dying. The title is derived when the killer believes he has found the "perfect woman" for his experiments.

Enter detective John Stallings who is fighting his demons from when his older daughter disappeared
Kate Bowyer
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I don't read a lot of books in this genre but love reading all types so thought I'd give it a go. For me the book was predictable and repeated itself way too much. It was not a hard story line to follow so I'm not sure why they kept repeating different parts of it. I would not recommend the book I'm sorry to say. I did finish it though it's only because I have this thing where I need finish any book I start.
Heidi
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
He's looking for the Perfect Woman -- one that stays quiet, submissive and fast asleep while he's not there, and he will kill to find her. John Stallings and Tony Mazetti go up against a killer that is striking a familiar type: petite, young and often unwanted or a runaway. Stallings own daughter is missing. As girls continue to disappear, including Stallings partner, the body count rises. Can they find the killer before he strikes again? Good read, kept my interest enough to order the second in ...more
Lisabeth Fluitt
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat Predictable

The book is somewhat predictable but it is an exciting story. The characters were strong and followed true to course.

Stallings’s wife Maria conveniently blamed her addictions on him. I think she is weak and you could glue her husband to her side and she would still have trouble. Oh well.......
patndoris
Not what I expected

This story was far different than I expected. A little twisted, and perhaps not for everyone. None the less, it was an ok read.
Jo Habalar
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read.....Very descriptive..with a good view of how police officers have to gather clues, ask the right questions, have good contacts and get the job done....
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
I generally like police procedurals and this one was ok - but not one of my favorites.
I liked the police officer John Stallings character, The author did a really good job of "fleshing" out the character and why he was the way he was. Tony - the other detective who was a narcissistic and obnoxious jerk turned out to be not so bad after all. I really liked that. Making Tony a one dimensional, typical big-headed cop would have been the easy way out but author didn't take it. You actually end up l
Madelon
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
THE PERFECT WOMAN is not a perfect book. It had the potential to be a real nail biter but somehow it fell short. I really love it when I get to the end of a book and I scream in my mind, "No, not over, more, more, more!" because I got so caught up in the story. A book like that has answered most of the important questions and the desire for more is really quite satisfying.

I put this book aside wanting more because the answers to the problems were too nebulous. Without giving the story away, it s
Lizz
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book may have been free, or close to it, on Kindle. I was interested because it's set here in Jacksonville (go figure, who puts a book in Jacksonville??) It was pretty good actually, and interesting in that from the first page you knew who the killer was and what he was thinking. I did have a few nits to pick with it. First of all, MUST we refer to the police as the po-po? Second, we KNOW that Mazetti and Hoagie are partners. You do NOT need to point this out every single time you m ...more
Phyllis Wright
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OOOOOOoooooooooooooooh! I've found another author!
David MacTavish
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
A light read. It was ok, I bought it because it was cheap on Kindle, and I think it is only published electronically, and I was curious about that. The author is clearly trying to have interesting characters, but they come off a bit shallow. Storyline is not quite believable. Author uses a technique of backing up in time (just a few minutes) and retelling the scene from a different character's point of view. Neat idea, but given the shallowness and overall "lightness" of the writing, it doesn't ...more
Eileen
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the author's descriptive style, and the story was compelling enough for me to want to speed to the end and see how it all wrapped up. The perspective of the killer, while not new in this genre, was well done. My one gripe is that, at the end, one primary character suddenly acts way out of character. It was necessary for the ending, and I get that, but I wished the transformation was more gradual. I'll agree with another reader's assessment that it started slow, but it really was a good r ...more
Space
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I liked in this one how the author skipped around in people's heads and let you know what each one was thinking. It was a little odd being inside a psychopath's head, but it made the story that much more creepy. I also thought the scenery was fantastic. When he made his first kill it was just chilling.

Anyway, I don't normally like cop/detective novels, but this was pretty good. I might check out the next installment. I'm interested to see if the narrator ever finds his lost daughter.
Kristen M
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this book at the Dollar store. It sparked my curiosity, so how could I pass it up for $1.00. I must admit, I actually enjoyed reading it. It was surprisingly refreshing to read something easy and uncomplicated for a change. The characters are well developed and the suspense is remarkably realistic. I don't usually buy mass media fiction unless I'm fresh out of other fiction, but I admit I will read the three other books Andrus wrote. John Stallings sparked my interest.
Tamera
I liked this book. Part of my enjoyment was the setting - I don't think I have read a book actually located where I live and it was neat to able to identify with the city. I felt like the author gave a good feel for the city and the work involved in police detecting. It was told in multiple viewpoints (several detectives, antagonist, victims) and the ending lead me to believe it might be a series.
Brandon
I really liked the characters in this book, especially the lead character, and the theme of family/missing girls. The only thing I didn't care for was that the first half of the story sagged considerably, leading me to put it down after a chapter or so whenever I picked it up again. I did read the second half in one sitting. Overall a good story, and I might try another of this author's works.
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a Kindle freebie and I'm not sure I would pay for it or am in any hurry to see if there are anymore by this author. It was OK, I used it as my gym read so it took me a fair while to read, and I admit that this may have spoiled my enjoyment of it - I may have fared better if I'd given it more time!
Marianne Stehr
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this new series. I read the books intially out of order and had to go back and read the first. This is a great book that shows real police work, has some good thrills, alot of mystery and characters that are less than perfect but feel real. I am hoping for a third int his series.
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: John Stallings (first in series); a cop whose daughter disappeared some time ago and who has been trying to offset his loss by working with other runaways, is pulled back into homicide when the victims turn out to be girls who have left home looking for something better - and been murdered by someone who first experiments on them
Sue
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
I can see the story had potential but it was extremely infuriating to have to read the name Stallings or Mazzetti over and over and over -- 1-5+ times PER PAGE. Come on! Those names ruined it . . . burned it out.

Hint for sequels: don't burn us out with so many "Stallings," "Mazzettis" and/or "Patty Levine" and "William Dremmel."

Poor writing, dude. Need to learn how it's done.
Lisa Paterson
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was okay... Again, downloaded for free on my Kindle, which you'll see often in my reviews. Based on the way the characters are written, I think there were other books before this one but I haven't checked yet. Not sure if it's worth reading the others based on this one.
Kathleen
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
pretty good mystery/suspense/cop story. leaves the door open for a sequel, so maybe there is more coming! i'd read a sequel, the story was gripping enough to leave me wanting to see more of the characters.
Jan
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasently surprised to find out this was set in Jacksonville, Fla where I lived back in the late 70s as a Navy wife so I am able to picture the background scenery in my mind very well. Had a hard time putting the book down!
Kathy
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
my first James Andrus novel. Very impressed, it was a free Kindle find and it kept me at the edge of my seat, James Patterson style. The who done it keeps you guessing right till the end of the book.....a definite must read!
Kendra
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery is only average, but I truly loved Stallings. I wouldn't mind reading another one in the series to find out more about him, and see him operate. Didn't care much about any other person in the story, though.
Eric
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's a detective story set in Jacksonville, Florida. A serial killer is on the loose. A former homicide detective who now works missing persons after his own daughter ran away and disappeared gets called in to help.
Lynn Demsky
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good read, caught my interest from page one and kept going through the whole book. Hard to believe what people are capable of, how they feel and how they manage their lives. Will look for more by James Andrus!
Rumeur
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
At first I almost didn't finish this book. I had read over 100 pages but was determined to give this book a chance since I have another in this series to read. I'm glad I finished it and will def read the next book and will also look for other 2 after that. It grabbed my attention eventually

• Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
  • Drowning With Others
  • Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
  • Summer People (Ray Elkins Mystery #1)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Bent Over
  • Gold Comes In Bricks
  • Spill the Jackpot
  • Double or Quits (Cool and Lam #5)
  • The Mystery of Alice
  • Trump's Brain: An FBI Profile of Donald Trump: Predicting Trump's Actions and Presidency
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Guilty Wives
  • Never Never (Detective Harriet Blue, #1)
  • Dead Girl Blues
  • Protector
  • The Aura (Kate Benedict, #1)
James Andrus is a career law enforcement officer who still works major investigations. He has been involved in real serial crime cases, which formed the basis for some of this novel. He has been featured on network news shows and been recognized for his law enforcement achievements. Andrus lives in the Southeast United States with his family, dividing his time between police work and writing.

Detective John Stallings (4 books)
  • The Perfect Prey (Detective John Stallings #2)
  • The Perfect Death (Detective John Stallings #3)
  • The Perfect Scream  (Detective John Stallings #4)

News & Interviews