Start by marking “The Truth Cookie” as Want to Read:
The Truth Cookie

The Truth Cookie (Lulu Baker #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  722 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Lulu Baker's dad is getting ready to marry his new girlfriend, world-famous model Varaminta le Bone. Everyone thinks Varaminta is fabulous. Everyone, that is, except Lulu. She knows that her stepmother-to-be, not to mention her awful son Torquil, is cruel, deceitful, and just using her father. But how can she make her dad see Varaminta and Torquil for who they really are? ...more
Published September 17th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Cookie

0-439-74022-3

If you like fairytales, you should read The Truth Cookie by Fiona

Dunbar. I have read fairytales but The Truth Cookie is beyond

the fireworks on July 4th. The Truth Cookie is about a girl Lulu,

whose mother died and so she has to live with her father’s evil

girlfriend, Varaminta Le Bone, and her evil little son, Torquil. This

book brings me back to when I was a little kid because it reminds me of

the m
Pandora
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A Cinderella type story in which Lulu has to find a way to stop her Dad from marrying a woman who out to ruin Lulu's life. The woman also has a son who acts like an evil stepsister. Lulu finds a solution in a mysterious cookbook.

Review: The book is more two and a half stars. The story worked pretty well although the Dad was perhaps, a little too clueless about what was happening. The story I also found to be a little too dragged out. It isn't till about half way through the book that Lulu's find
Annabelle
Genre- Fantasy
Lulu baker is a girl who has been having problems with her evil soon to be stepmother and soon to be stepbrother. Nothing a little baking cant fix. This book has a nice twist instead of a super hero saving the day baking ends up being what helps Lulu out of her situation. In the book there is hidden symbolism like the pastry names and the names of the character in the story. The author put a lot of time into making there be little things like that. These details made a big diffrenc
Vanessa
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome!
Tatum H
February
Fiona Dunbar

For quite a long time, a young girl named Lulu Baker was all alone with her mom, dad and of course herself, a happy little family. Everything was bright and happy for Lulu, until a horrible accident occurred. Lulu's mother was killed in a motorcycling accident, Lulu still keeps a photo of her mother. One day Lulu's dad finds a young women, who just happens to be a supermodel named Varaminta Le bone and brings along her treacherous son Torquil. When Lulu's fat
NaDell
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book about a girl who is trying to get her dad to see that his girlfriend and her son aren't as nice as they seem. She stumbles upon a cookbook that has strange recipes, like Truth Cookie, and other interesting recipes.
I was expecting a book that was a little more pre-teen style and it just wasn't that. The main character was dealing with a lot with the loss of her mom and her dad's new girlfriend and the housekeeper who is the only motherly figure in her life and I recommend waiting to read it
Candice Lamb
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine if there was a magical cookery book with recipes to make people fall in love, make people laugh, stop people getting angry and also make people tell the truth.
Well that’s what Lulu finds or rather finds her. She needs to bake a truth cookie to reveal her horrid step mum to be real intentions. Can she do it before it’s too late ?
Great for 7+
Jesse F
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
July book report
Fiona Dunbar

Have you ever wonderd what it would be like to only tell the truth? Well the book "The Truth Cookie", is about a girl named Lulu who does just that. Her best fruend is named Frenchy. Frenchy will do anything to make sure Lulu is fine. Then there is her dads girlfriend. Lets just say she is a gold digger. She has married many men. She also has a son. Her son is a follower. He follows wherever she is and is just as mean and bad as her.

The main ideas in
Kaitlyn King
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Truth Cookie is an amazing and touching book. The main character Lucy, goes through many changes throughout her teenage years. Things at school start to change. Along with many things at home with her father. Lucy's father is dating a women named Valerie. Lucy loves to cook, but Valerie tries to ruin it for her. Valerie secretly tries to make Lucy's life miserable, when her father isn't around. But she has to someone convince her father to stop dating her before something big happens, like ...more
Cortney

The Truth Cookie BY Fiona Dunbar was Okay. I liked the book because it was interesting how Lulu was trying to get rid of Varaminta, also I thought that this book is like a version of cinderella. The reason I didn’t like this book is because it was kind of slow. In the beginning I was getting bored because it didn’t understand why it was called “The Truth Cookie” because there were no hints or clues. The strengths of this book is that it has a good story line. I really liked how Dunbar incorporat
MockingBirdLeigh
This book is interesting and has a great plot. Fiona Dunbar did an excellent job of writing about the apple star, it was well thought out and has a good meaning behind it. I love how she used the name lulu, and Cassandra was a great character. She was smart, and clever. When I finished the book I wished it would have gone on longer. I hated how Torquil acted and i wish i could've slapped him. I don't like models that much and Varminta made showed my point. she was evil, and awful. Overall this b ...more
Kayla Grant
I thought this book was a funny book that showed humor in the things the characters actions.
Lulu is a 12-year old is living with her dad and their maid. When her father's girlfriend moves in with her son, Lulu has an issue. When her father is not home, her soon to be stepmother becomes even and so does her son but her when her dad comes home she acts sweet. When Lulu's feelings get hurt from Varaminta's cruel words she decides she has to stop her father from marrying her. She goes into a book s
Kelaine
Jul 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school girls
Shelves: tweens, fantasy
Shades of a prince-less Cinderella...fantasy-style.

Lulu's mother dies when she was a child; dad recently meets and becomes engaged to the wicked, lying, soon-to-be stepmom (who's a model with obnoxious son and poodle). Lulu happens upon a cookbook that contains recipes to create a variety of situations...one is cookies that make the eater tell the truth. Enter the fairy godmother in the form of an african-american woman who can get all the weird ingredients the recipe calls for...she also has so
04744nf
Anna Francesca
When a scheming gold-digger and her slimy son have the wool drawn tight over Lulu's dad's eyes, what can she do? With help from some magical characters, spells, "truth cookies," the spirit of her deceased mum, and her best friend-- everything may turn out okay. This is a very cute book, although there isn't much depth to the "bad guys" who are Dahl-like in their horrid nature. Overall, this is a fun read that anyone with a sense of imagination and justice can enjoy.

Warning: This book does inclu
Coney Zealley
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much! I remember the first time I read it was in middle school and I got it in the morning, read it under my desk whenever I got a second, and even took it to the school dance and finished it in the corner. It became my favorite book and is still one that sits in a treasured spot on my shelves.
Hima
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good!! Reasons why I liked it:
1. The main character was exciting, and the ames of the antagonists of the story were funny. Torquil??? Former Model, Varaminta Le Bone??? Waxia Legge-Suntan?? Wow.....
2. As all good authors do, made me hate the antagonists
3. Funny exploits dotted the plot!!
Taylor
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your average book. It is about a girl who's mother died when she was about 6 yrs. old. Her dad won the "Sweet Nothings" article. Varminta meets her dad and they are planning on getting married. But there are some secrets that Lulu needs to make her dad see. To find out how she does that, READ THE BOOK.
Fashiongirlgoldberg
I would actually rate this more like three and a half stars. it was a pretty good book. They kind of had the stereotypical evil stepmother, and her nasty son, but whatever. Lulu was a likable character, and I enjoyed the magic stuff. Plus the bookshop thing was cool. I thought the whole apple star cookbook was interesting, and the recipes were cute.
Pritika I.
All Lulu wants is to be happy. How can she when her mother is dead and her father is dating one of the worst people in the world. Lulu's father's fiancé has an attitude and a trouble-making son. Lulu tries to prove to her dad that Varminta is witch but he won't listen. This book is full of suprises.
Claire
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in fifth grade and still remember it. I normally read books that just so happen to be in a sires and read only the first or the second book. But this one I read all three of them. I found them to be outstandingly entertaining. I couldn't seem to put any of them down and I'm a slow reader so I now find it strange that I have actually completed a trilogy....
Sam - Spines in a Line
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
I loved this book just because I wanted this magical land of crazy ingredient and recipes to be real! Very inventive of the author. Great fun read, which of course teaches a lesson at the end as all must.
Aaleen
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this magical,sweet book!
if you like a light, fairy tale, cute book you will like this!
It is very well written and each character has their own individual characteristic. Very original and creative. 8/10
Jo
This was literally the BEST BOOK EVER!! For those who haven't read it, it definitely is a MUST READ!!!!!!!! Things originally seem as if Lulu's doomed, but in the end, a little baking puts things right!! It's sooooo awesome!
Shaefer
I read this when I was a kid and I loved it a lot. I don't exactly recall why. Maybe because of its humor or because I felt I related to it well.

Either way it remains a book embedded into my memory of my childhood. So for sentimental reasons, I rely on this book being a "classic."
Lydia
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was intriguing from the start with its humor and likeable main character lulu. The only thing that let it down was not the happily ever after ending but the solutio to lulus problem that seems to start getting very far fetched.
Kay
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A library book shared by my 7 year old niece. This was a cute book with a lot of issues that could affect many kids today. Addressed how to handle the bully as well as widowed father remarrying with a daughter. But amongst this was some humor and mystery. Good book for young readers.
Kei
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
that if you see a magic godess person, ask for a cookbook.
Lindsay
This is an easy read book. if you are looking for a one dayer then this is a perrfect book.
Mitsu
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
this was one of the book that started me down the path of reading when i was younger, I thought it was well written and entertaining
  • Budding Star  (Angels Unlimited, #8)
  • Sensational Spylet (Jane Blonde, #1)
  • Bridesmaid's Club (Zodiac Girls, #8)
  • Marshmallow Magic And The Wild Rose Rouge
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
  • The Glamorous Girls' Book: Be Confident, Be Gorgeous, Be Fabulous. Veena Bhairo-Smith and Sally Jeffrie
  • The Ant Colony
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • War Nurse: The Diary of Kitty Langley, 1939-1940
  • Poor Little Rich Girl (Diary of a Snob, #1)
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Shine
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Echoes of Love (21st Century Austen, #5)
Fiona Dunbar is a British author. She was born in 1961 in Hemel Hempstead and as well as being a writer, she is also an illustrator and a graphic artist. She has written and sometimes illustrated books such as the Silk Sisters trilogies and Toon-Head. Her books, The Lulu Baker trilogies, have also been adapted to become a children's TV series called Jinx.

She now lives in Brooklyn, NY.

More about Fiona Dunbar...

Lulu Baker (3 books)
  • Cupid Cakes
  • Chocolate Wishes (Red Apples)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)