Start by marking “The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)

The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  120,575 Ratings  ·  9,159 Reviews
Every year Isabel spends a perfect summer at her family friends' house. There's the swimming pool at night, the private stretch of sandy beach... and the two boys.

Unavailable, aloof Conrad - who she's been in love with forever - and friendly Jeremiah, the only one who's ever really paid her any attention. But this year something is different.
Published June 3rd 2010 by Puffin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer I Turned Pretty, please sign up.
Jill It definitely is not for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who really enjoys reading coming of age novels, then this is probably your kind…moreIt definitely is not for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who really enjoys reading coming of age novels, then this is probably your kind of book. People shouldn't criticize it just because it was not their cup of tea.(less)
Madison As the series goes on it does get interesting. More about relationships and in opinion the main character in this book goes through what most teenage…moreAs the series goes on it does get interesting. More about relationships and in opinion the main character in this book goes through what most teenage girls go through throughout middle school in high school, which is being stuck between which guy to choose. It was a very fast and easy read. I recommend this book for sure if you like a little romance and conflict, read the whole series to get the full story. I would definitely read this book 100 more times, it truly is one of my favorites. The ending of the very last book in the series actually made me cry! (less)

Ruth
May 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I nearly melted when Conrad was introduced. That strong, silent, protective guy, why, he was even sexier than Edward Cullen! And although he didn't sparkle, he certainly made up for it by his sorrowful brooding, which my heart soared out to. I mean, who DOESN'T understand when someone who is in pain turns to drinking and picking fights at parties?There is just something so alluring, so captivating, about Conrad, because what he does not say or do in words is immediately engraved in my ever-lovin ...more
Arlene
There was so much about this book that bothered me, and I almost gave up on it several times. I think the thing that bothered me most though was the protagonist. Very often, if I can't connect or feel compassion for the main character, the book has slim to no chance of winning me over. In my opinion, Belly was such an immature, self-focused and petulant child. Her actions and feelings about events and people really were annoying that I wanted to shake some sense into her, I'll provide more speci ...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Amazing...that's only thing i can say! :) I recommend this book to everybody. One of the best books I've ever read :)

EDIT: 19 likes for two sentences? seriously, well thank you! Still this book is probably the best summer book ever.
Melannie :)
Nov 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I didn't like this book.

The thing that bother me the most was the girl, Belly, she was VERY annoying. I also just couldn't connect with the story, I mean all the book is about how much she loooooves Conrad (one of her mom's best friend's sons) and everything in her lifes revolves around Conrad.

It was bording on obsession actually, she came across as pathetic. And she complained about EVERYTHING, that the boys wouldn't play with her, that the boys weren't paying her attention, that her bestfriend
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Characters: 5 stars

Setting: 5 stars

Plot: 4

Honourable Mention: To Susannah. For being the embodiment of summer, and pretty much perfect.

***OOH, possible spoilers ahead guys, watch out!

Well. So that was...

Photobucket

I feel a lot like this:

Photobucket

Because I am sure of two things:

1.) I freaking love this series. And Conrad. I really freaking adore him, more than Jeremiah I am happy to say. Ah, to be young and fictionally in love...

2.) This is my new favourite series.

And three, because I'm
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5? 5? I don't even know, but this book read like a dream and I really enjoyed it.

Also, I am terrified about what is going to happen in the later books.
 Arushi
This book made me want to cry tears of blood.

Belly, if someone is hurting and tells you to stop talking, you don’t just kiss them. Also, if you and your friend overhear about his mother’s breast cancer, you don’t think thoughts like ‘oh, I hope she doesn’t loose a boob’

No. Just, no.

My husband does not approve of you.

Low Points in this book:
Belly. Girl, this is for being whiny and obnoxious. Also, for being a bitch to your mother and thinking that she would never ever do anything for you and for
Maureen
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
I was in the mood for a YA contemporary romance and this was perfect for that. I loved the story, even if most of the characters were not super developed. Just a good ol' YA contemporary romance.
I liked Belly for the most part even though she was a little bratty at times, LOVED Jeremiah, liked Cam alright, and didn't really love Conrad most of the time.
Overall, pretty alright! I'm excited to read the rest of the trilogy.
Hershey
☼ An awesome summer read ☼

This story was so cute! I loved all the characters because each and every one of them made me grin happily.

Belly

"It was a summer I'd never, ever forget.It was the summer everything began. It was the summer I turned pretty."

Belly's whole life was measured in summers. According to her, winter didn't count. It was summer that mattered. Why? Because she gets to meet her two favorite boys, Conrad and Jeremiah.
I found Belly very amusing and fun to read about. She was such
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I read it in one sitting. Even though there’s a thin air of sadness coating the story’s atmosphere, to me it was still familiar, warm and comforting. Jenny Han’s writing and stories usually do that. I appreciate how the first book to this trilogy is more like a coming off age novel more than anything. The writing actually reminds me of that of Shug, a middle school book written by Ms. Han which was completely endearing.

The entire story happens in a span of an entire summer but I was impressed w
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Hi, so this book isn't technically a five-star read. It's a little cliche and a lot cheesy and centres around a love triangle and just is not a literary masterpiece. I don't care about any of that though because this is the book I was reading before I was a reader. This is the book that made me want to read. This was the first book I read into the night. The first book I couldn't put down. This was the book of my preteen years and the nostalgia I feel for this book surpasses any reservations I h ...more
Nina
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
*** 2.5 stars ***

“Would you rather live one perfect day over and over or live your life with no perfect days but just decent ones?”

I started reading ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ because I felt like a reading slump was heading my way and a couple of people told me that this would be the perfect book to read in such a situation. And it actually is because this was such a quick read and I finished it in less than a day. It’s also a perfect summer read that you can enjoy while spending your time on
Zoë
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book to get me into the summer mindset! I started reading it this morning when I got to the beach and I didn't stop until I read the entire book. This book is about more than summer and romance, but also family, self, and loss. I enjoyed every single character and how they were more complex than they first appeared. I definitely want to read the rest of the series soon (and also go to the beach a couple dozen more times).
Jessie
Just some thoughts.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Belly:
Belly's pretty much clueless the whole time. She thinks the world revolves around her but it doesn't. She's shallow as hell. But for some reason, she doesn't annoy me too much. (She was getting on my nerves a lot toward the end of the book, though.) Overall, she's just an okay character.(view spoiler) I also don't get
Josu Grilli
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-1-mayo
No llega al aprobado por muchos motivos, pero tampoco se lleva la menor puntuación por otros. Me explico:

El verano en que me enamoré prometía ser una novela sencilla y rápida de leer, y lo ha sido. Sin duda, es lo mejor de esta historia: lo simple y rápida que es. Sin embargo, eso no significa que sea buena. De hecho, tiene muchísimos fallos.

La primera mitad de la novela no tenía rumbo ninguno. DE VERDAD. ¿Qué me cuentas de Taylor? ¿Qué me importa que jugases en la piscina con tus super amigos q
Leslie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This book really surprised me. I loved it!
Like CAN I HAVE A CONRAD... (Preferably One who doesn't smoke)
Sky
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
DNF at 30%

I’m sorry to anyone who loved this book. I’m glad you loved this book, really! But this is what makes book world, book world; diversity in opinions.

Okay, The summer I turned pretty is about a girl named Belly (I know), who every summer goes to this beach house they share with their mother’s best friend, who by chance has two swoon-worthy boys.

I was not interested, I was not intrigued, I felt literally nothing. By now the characters names are slipping out of my grasp. Belly, our MC, is
Vathna Dany
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
284 pages where absolutely nothing happened.

I originally wanted to give it a star, but well, at least I finished the book, so this is me being nice. I've read many books with annoying-but-bearable protagonists, but this one made me want to pull my own hair out.

Belly wasn't that bad, but whenever I tried to like her, she immediately did something entirely stupid and I just had to hate her all over again. Not exaggerating, but she was annoying 90% of the time. Like how many boys was she interested
Amy (Turn the Page)
Apr 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
The Summer I Turned Pretty is the first book in a YA series that by all accounts, seems to be well-loved and incredibly popular.

It’s your typical teenage love-triangle set against a pretty backdrop of sea, sun and sand, and not a whole lot else. With these types of books, when we all know what’s going to happen, it’s the characters and dialogue that really make the story.

It’s a pity then, that I so intensely disliked Isabel.

She was, to put it bluntly, a brat. (Other words I came to associate wit
leni
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-thanks

where the fuck am i?
oh right
i eye rolled myself into another dimension

Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those that have always wished for the perfect summer, for that perfect someone.
Rating: 4.5

I'm so glad I bought this with me now. It's one of those books that guarantee's you butterflies and giggles.

Every summer Belly visits cousins Beach with her mother and brother. There they meet up with Susannah (her mothers best friend) and her two boy's, Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly has always loved Conrad. But she has always been able to rely on Jer. He's the safety net, the sweet, uncomplicated best friend type-of-guy. But this summer promises to be different. You see, Belly's all gro
Shaikha
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I think he would have stayed with her forever, trying to figure out the mystery. He was a puzzle solver, the kind of person who likes theorems, theories. X always had to equal something. It couldn't just be X".

Isabel "Belly" measures her life in summers, it has always been the most important time of the year. Everything good, everything magical and everything special happens between the months of June and August. It's when her family shares a beach house with her mother's best friend, Susanna
AleJandra
2 Bad Jenny Han STARS

"It's the imperfections that make things beautiful."

description

POP SUGAR READING CHALLENGE 2016 A BOOK THAT TAKES PLACE DURING SUMMER

No hay mucho que decir de este libro, porque la historia no dice mucho realmente.

Yo buscaba una lectura ligera por eso escogí esta, pero no me imagine que tan ligera sería, los últimos capítulos tienen un poquito de drama, pero hasta eso se siente ligero.

Tenia planeado darle las 3 estrellas, pero le baje una por una simple razón:

(view spoiler)
Brooke
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Awe, this was a great book! Very relatable and surprisingly heart breaking. There's just something about ocean air and summer days that make growing up easier. I loved this story.
Leona  Carstairs
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I wish I had ten thousand middle fingers so I could give them all to this book.
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
“Moments, when lost, can't be found again. They're just gone.”

This book was so sweet and romantic, it's a great read for valentines.

description

4.5 / 5 Stars

Find this one and more reviews on my blog! :A Book. AThought.

I've loved this one guys,again I'm trapped by the incredible Jenny Han writing style , really is one of those authors who know how to put together a catchy story that will make you feel many things, I think her books are so easy to read, I've just flow through the pages, was great.
My fir
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/1/17: I needed a fast, fun re-read after the chaos of booktubeathon and this perfectly fit the bill for me. I'm keeping my rating at 4 stars because while I did have some issues with it, I still enjoyed this SO much. Also older Chelsea is over Conrad's shit tbh. It's all about Jeremiah now. JUSSSS SAYIN'

Original read 4/25/14: *hugs myself* oh, conrad
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I MUST READ #2 NOW
Jude
Dec 13, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve heard a lot of gushing and good reviews about this novel, and that it has a lot of similarities to Sarah Dessen’s stories. Well, let me tell you, I do NOT agree, and I’m a HUGE fan of Sarah Dessen, and to compare it with her works? To be honest I find it insulting, even if Sarah Dessen herself said that this story was great, I just didn’t feel it. And it's not because I had a lot of expectations of the book, I swear I had never heard of it, but it seemed interesting, and it had a 30% off.

Be
☽ MaryJane ✨
THIS WAS SO CUTE

The Summer I Turned Pretty managed to be the exact cute, light-hearted, quick read I needed. It was pretty straight forward and predictable but was entertaining enough that I didn't really mind. There isn't anything super special about the plot of the characters, it just has a nice feel to it overall that makes this a pleasant read. Definitely worth reading if you're into YA contemporary!
  • Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door, #1-2)
  • Beach Blondes: June Dreams / July's Promise / August Magic (Summer, #1-3)
  • Twenty Boy Summer
  • How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation (How to Ruin, #3)
  • Girlfriend Material
  • Invincible Summer
  • He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So, #2)
  • Something, Maybe
  • Second Chance Summer
  • North of Beautiful
  • One Night That Changes Everything (One Night That Changes Everything, #1)
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer, #1)
  • Sixteenth Summer (Sixteenth Summer #1)
  • Stay
  • Breathing
  • Getting Lost with Boys

Summer (3 books)
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Moments, when lost, can't be found again. They're just gone.” 1722 likes