Start by marking “From Russia with Love (Penguin Ink)” as Want to Read:
From Russia with Love (Penguin Ink)

From Russia with Love (James Bond (Original Series) #5)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  23,129 Ratings  ·  905 Reviews
A game of cross and double-cross ensues-with the British Secret Service's most infamous operative both the stakes and the prize-in this classic Bond novel of counterespionage.

Published June 29th 2010 by Penguin Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about From Russia with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Russia with Love

j
I am glad to be a man in 2011, because it sounds so exhausting to hear about what life was like in the 1950s. I mean, imagine you are Ian Fleming's James Bond, sexy 1950s super spy: Every time a woman mouthed off to you, you had to take her over your knee and spank her. That sounds awkward! (My lap isn't that big.) And if you were in a relationship and she started to get fat, you'd have to beat her until she lost weight. I don't want to get home from a long day of international espionage only to ...more
Brina
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
From Russia With Love is the fifth book in Ian Fleming's James Bond series. Written in the height of the Cold War, it pits Russia versus the west in a race to achieve the best in stealth technology. When the novel first came out, President Kennedy dubbed it his favorite book, increasing it in popularity and spurring Fleming to write more James Bond cases. Yet, this tale of espionage is often dubbed the best in the series.

SMERSH, the Russian intelligence agency, would like to make a big splash t
Matthew
This is hands down the best James Bond book and it was turned into the best James Bond movie. I have yet to read all the books, but I have read a fair amount so I think it is okay for me to have the opinion that this is the best!

I read this twice and loved it both times. The second time I read it was on a train in Switzerland between Bern and Brig. This just so happens to be part of the route of the train included in the climactic scene in the book. This was not an intentional coincidence, but v
Grace Tjan
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book (in no particular order):

1. The ideal Soviet master assassin is a man who is:

a. the offspring of a German wrestler and a Southern Irish hooker;
b. extremely muscular and hairy;
c. possessed of a high threshold for pain;
d. manic during the full moon; and
e. asexual (“Sexual neutrality was the essence of coldness in an individual”) --- but love to parade around naked.

2. Ugly women are mannish and have breasts that looked like badly packed sandbags, and when they pull ba
Manny
This really needs to be remade. To help move things along, I've mocked up a poster and a few seconds of dialogue for the teaser trailer...

FromRussiaWithLoveEdited

BondAndM2
Carmen
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
NO SPOILERS

SMERSH wants to damage England. What better way than to destroy their secret agent hero, James Bond? SMERSH hatches a plan. They pick out their prettiest worker and send her to Bond. To sweeten the already honeyed deal, she's carrying a Russian encryption machine. Bond is initially suspicious of this beautiful Russian spy who's defecting to England, but his suspicions are gone once he beds her (moron!). But SMERSH has big plans for Bond, and surprisingly they are not plans to give hi
Robert
My biggest complaint with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE—aside from the usual male chauvinism and innocent women who need a real man—I was well into this novel (over a third of the way) before Bond made his appearance. Did I really need to know that much about Mother Russia? I think not. I’d have been happier with much less, frankly, and I would have kept a few more sanity points.

I even debated skipping ahead, but since I’ve approached my task of reading the entire Bond series the way one might approach
Richard Derus
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5* of five

It's the 1963 movie with Sean Connery that I'm rating. I tried reading Casino Royale recently, and found it dated and even more sexist and racist than I was expecting. I'll stick to the movies. Connery's nice to look at. The gadgets are hilarious, and so is Q. The theme songs are great.
Leslie
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, spy, mystery, ku, historic
When you read any of Fleming's books you need to remember you are seeing a snapshot of distant place and time. This is post war Europe where men are Men and women are decorative. You may be exposed to what today would be described as straight up racism, sexism and bigotry. Whether it is an absolute unquestionable hatred for the communists or a more subtle British private school disdain for the people of the continent.

If you have seen the movie From Russia with Love you will be happily retreadin
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel guilty reading these books for a variety of reasons. One, they are sinfully good. Two, they are undeniably racist and sexist. Three, I think I'm reading a first edition (the real owner of these books stole/borrowed them from a distant relative) and they are disintegrating in my hands as I read them. Every time I turn the page it comes away from the binding. Is it sacrilege to destroy a 1st edition Bond book?

The most surprising thing about these books is Fleming's prose. His descriptions
The Better Book C...: May - James Bond: the Final Chapters! 5 2 Jun 05, 2017 11:26AM
Publication year 6 21 Apr 05, 2017 06:37AM
Espionage Aficion...: Pardon me, do you have a match? 1 14 Nov 30, 2014 07:04PM
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 2 14 Aug 09, 2014 10:46PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: From Russia with Love 1 2 Jul 13, 2014 01:12PM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Pick - From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming 1 5 Jan 26, 2014 05:45PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9783864250781 2 17 Jan 05, 2014 10:41AM
  • High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3)
  • For Special Services (John Gardner's Bond, #2)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. He was a grandson of the Scottish financier Robert Fleming, who founded the Scottish American Investment Trust and the merchant bank Robert Fleming & Co.

Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James
More about Ian Fleming...

James Bond (Original Series) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond, #4)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
“But I am greedy for life. I do too much of everything all the time. Suddenly one day my heart will fail. The Iron Crab will get me as it got my father. But I am not afraid of The Crab. At least I shall have died from an honourable disease. Perhaps they will put on my tombstone. 'This Man Died from Living Too Much'.” 38 likes
“Hope makes a good breakfast. Eat plenty of it.” 27 likes