Start by marking “Co-Opetition” as Want to Read:
Co-Opetition

Co-Opetition

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  791 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Now available in paperback, with an all new Reader's guide, "The New York Times" and "Business Week" bestseller "Co-opetition" revolutionized the game of business. With over 40,000 copies sold and now in its 9th printing, "Co-opetition" is a business strategy that goes beyond the old rules of competition and cooperation to combine the advantages of both. "Co-opetition" is ...more
Published December 29th 1997 by Crown Business (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Co-Opetition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Co-Opetition

Aaron Wang
Tactics: 戰術與手段,如何玩此賽局,此賽局中其他參與者之策略與戰略
Scopes: 現有賽局範圍為何,需要更改舊賽局範圍或是新增賽局等
Shivam
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy an practical approach of game theory in business and life.
Timothy Chklovski
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investing
The book briefly introduces an important concept of complementers (those firms whose products enhance demand for yours -- grills and hot dogs, Intel and Microsoft). The book then spends the bulk on applied game theory -- focusing on how profits are divided amongst firms.
Although the two parts are fairly disconnected, both are highly worthwhile.
The game theory part has many not-too-intuitive, although classical, observations -- for instance, how most favored customer (MFC) clause, which grants a
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thinker
Lý thuyết trò chơi được minh họa lại bằng câu chuyện ván bài Barry
Barry cầm 26 lá bài đỏ, mỗi một 26 sinh viên cầm mỗi là bài đen.
Cứ mỗi cặp đỏ đen bất kỳ thì được 100 đô. Thương lượng thế nào đây? Tỷ lệ 50/50 hay 80/20...
Nếu Barry đánh mất 3 lá bài thì vị thế thương lượng sẽ thế nào?

Trò chơi "lá bài" dẫn vào một khái niệm trong lý thuyết trò chơi là MẠNG GIÁ TRỊ. Một cách tổng quát để nhìn một cuộc chơi trong kinh doanh là: khách hàng đối xứng nhà cung cấp, người bổ trợ đối xứng với đối thủ.

So
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
What Game Theory has to offer in Business...
...is on the most pressing issues of it all: finding the right strategies and making the right decisions. Maybe a missed a lot on business education, but i never thought of complements. Or the effect of myself entering a market or not having an impact on the whole game. Not even in my MBA did we cover such profounde topic. The authors cover very well the ground of Game Theory applied to business and how companies cooperate in order to enlarge a market
Matt
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Prof. Nalebuff assigned the first 100 pages or so for our class and I'm pretty happy to have finished up the rest. While I don't think your average business case has as much game theory application as the examples illustrated in Co-Opetition, that's in part what makes the book worthwhile - it seems to cull from the most interesting strategic cases available. In fact, I'd be even be curious to see what new cases from the last 15 years could be brought into a second edition.
Ken
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy read. Practical in most of the sense. However, the business world would have to evolve around this way of thinking to become validated totally. Yes, I gleened much in the way of helping myself, my team and even how to lead others to evolve to this paradigm to some means. However, we can't control others and I have been personal witness and victim to the theory that the world out there is live or let die.
Angela
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As someone working on an MBA, this book fascinated me. Real life examples, albeit huge corporations, showed how thinking outside the box helped them not only survive in tough times, but thrive. I've long felt there was a more humane approach to business than being cutthroat towards the competition. This book validates what I've practiced in 20 years of business--be as good to the other guy as you are to yourself.
Brian
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book provides a model to apply game theory to business. It's a good model, but often the case studies make is seem as if business situations can only be handled by someone who has an intuitive grasp of game theory, not an understanding that can be learned from this book or any other. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book.
Max Nova
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Co-opetition opened up an a whole new playing field of game-theory based business possibilities that I had never even considered before. I've dogeared tons of pages throughout this book so I can come back to it over and over again. It's a book I'm going to keep around as a guidebook as I continue to grow my company.
Kristian Norling
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book. Two take-aways for me was: the added role of the complementor (not a customer, nor competition, but someone who complements what you offer!). And mapping your business in a value net, can be a good tool for understanding your business and all the players in it. The book has outdated examples since it was written in 1996.
Jason
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While in business school, I asked an econ professor for a recommendation on further game theory readings; he pointed me to this book. It was easy to read and highly informative. (It also helped secure a top grade on a strategy paper!) I plan to read it again.
Jim Brookhyser
Lighter on the game theory than I would have liked, and a little narrow/random in its discussion. Also, it makes a few predictions that prove wrong in history, so it's hard to avoid losing credibility.
Pam
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting read. Opened my understanding about the business world - don't know much about business but I can see how our world could improve if we thought more about co-opetition than competition.
Kate
Feb 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Booooooooo
Muhammad Al-shrafi
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book tackles the heated issues between cooperation and competition.

Must read for strategic thinkers.
Jacob Munk-Stander
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Favorite quote: "Business is cooperation when it comes to creating a pie and competition when it comes to dividing it up"
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A should-read book on competition for knowledge workers who want to be in executive role and entrepreneurs.
Ggn0812
Interesting read.
Thomas
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book about applied game theory and industry analysis
Aileen Brondo
Feb 11, 2015
Ck
Jul 27, 2017
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • The Game-Changer
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Adam Brandenburger is the Vice Dean for Graduate Education and the J.P. Valles Professor at the Stern School of Business at New York University. Prior to joining Stern, he held the M.B.A. Class of 1958 Professorship at Harvard Business School.

Adam is an authority on game theory and its application to business strategy, and teaches an MBA course on this subject. He was voted NYU Stern M.B.A. Profes
More about Adam M. Brandenburger...

“The customer isn’t always right. Employees have rights, too.” 0 likes
“Over the last decade, Ford has actually earned more money making loans than making cars.” 0 likes