Start by marking “Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)” as Want to Read:
Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)

Tales from Moominvalley

(Mumintrollen #7)

In these nine delightfully funny stories, readers will discover how the Moomin family spend their first Christmas out of hibernation, how they save young Ninny from permanent invisibility, and what happens when Moomintroll catches the last dragon in the world.
Published November 6th 1995 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Moominvalley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from Moominvalley

Start your review of Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
Jordan West
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014, library
One of the most rewarding pieces of juvenile fiction I've read in a while, possessing a surprising maturity that is distinctly nordic in tone: combines poetry, understated whimsy, and dry wit with a note of gentle melancholy running through it all.
Courtney Johnston
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a bunch of strange, opaque, elliptical little stories.

This is my first entry into the Moomin world, Jansson's books having passed me by as a child. I was dubious - the pastelly coloured covers of the editions I keep weighing in my hands then returning to the shelves in Unity have put me off - but this was lent to me by a close friend whose taste I trust.

I flipped the book over and read the blurb first:

If you found a tiny golden dragon with green paws, would you know what to do it it?

Well
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

What a pleasant surprise this book was! A collection of stories featuring different characters, their backstories, and with different atmospheres: cute, wholesome, creepy and melancholic, this was so much fun!
Mariel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a large and lonely moon
Recommended to Mariel by: I'm coming when it suits me
Somewhere under his hat the tune began to move, one part expectation, and two parts spring sadness, and for the rest just a colossal delight at being alone.
‘The Spring Tune’

I took one of those “which Moominvalley” character are you personality quizzes. It would be great to be one of them and live amongst all of the others. Well, except for the Witch (not in these stories). She recalls a certain type of much older woman I’m afraid I’ll age into if I am around them too much. The kind that seem to
I loved this book. There were several little stories about small, even nameless creatures trying to find happiness and their own strength in the big world full of norms that try to restrict life by telling people how to behave or what to do. Jansson half-secretly encourages to rebel against the society and do as you please, as long as you don't harm anyone, and the attitude of the characters and the stories generally is wonderfully liberating.

I was completely absorbed in some of the stories, lik
Maija
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-or-mg
A collection of Moomin short stories about quite dark/deep topics, actually.

For me, the shining star of this collection was "The Secret of the Hattifatteners", where Moominpappa has a midlife crisis and leaves to travel with the hattifatteners. He has seen them sailing by in silence, and thought them so free and mysterious, but are they really? It's so well-written and so atmospheric, and the descriptions are beautiful. Very eerie.

"The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters" was a much more complex
Sophie Crane
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Moomin book by Tove Jansson to be a collection of short stories, instead of a novel. Here then we have The Spring Tune, A Tale of Horror, The Fillyjonk who Believed in Disasters, The Last Dragon in the World, The Hemulen who Loved Silence, The Invisible Child, The Secret of the Hattifatteners, Cedric, and The Fir Tree.

Although the Moomin family, Snuffkin and other regular characters do appear here a number of these tales do not actually feature them. Thus we have a varied sele
Karl Orbell
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the majority of the Moomins books, which, already quite short, tell a single story - this is a compendium of very small tales indeed, mostly about people with very small tails.

The stories all center around the theme of people not fitting in with society, usually they want to get away from others and be left in peace, or they want rid of their worldly possessions that are weighing them down. Often they find great contentment in ridding themselves of their earthly baggage, and acquire great
Booklepuff
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection is delightful. I really enjoyed how each short story focused on a different type of creature and goes very in depth about their characters. Although some of these creatures may have silly names, they have very real problems and tackle real issues which is nice to read.

My particular favourites were: ‘The Fillyjonk who believed in Disasters’ and ‘The Last dragon in the world’.
Helen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults who are interested in Finland
Actually, I don't think this is a children's book, at all. It is too depressing. Only "The Fir Tree," about the Moomins coming out of hibernation for their first Christmas, should be read to kids!
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

These are really superb little chunks of Moominland, not at all whimsical, but dark and thoughtful pieces that speak to adults trying to make sense of an imperfect world. The funniest perhaps is the last one, "The Fir Tree" ("Granen"), in which the Moomins, who normally hibernate, are woken up for Christmas and try to make sense of it. But my favourite is "The Secret of the Hattifatteners" ("Hatifnattarnas hemlighet"), in which Moominpappa abandons home
Carol
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt it like a transition book. We get to see a day in the life of several characters from Moominvalley, in no particular order of timeframe. It's great to explore more about these creatures, but it can also get slow and I had troubles keeping the pace in my reading. I like it more when we see Moomintroll out on an adventure, or Moominpappa and mamma figuring things out.
Juushika
Nine stories. Short fiction provides an opportunity to view lesser-seen aspects of characters (Snufkin's hidden depths are always a delight, particularly the view into his relationship with Moomintroll in "The Spring Tune") and build one-off arcs and characters. Most stories have distinct lessons, but the moralizing is lampshaded (as in "Cedric") and has new and mollifying tone: a cynicism that caveats the hopeful endings but also makes them more valuable. The Moomin cast are frequently at odds ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
Aaahh, I loved this! *huggles book* As with most short story collections, there were some I liked more than others, but I enjoyed them all. :) Nine tales in all, they're each unique but come together as a fun peek into the Moomin world. ^_^

The Spring Tune was awesome -- Snufkin! A Tale of Horror turned out quite fun -- Little My! XD The Fillyjonk who Believed in Disasters, The Secret of the Hattifattiners, and Cedric were all cool. The Hemulen who Loved Silence was awesome! I LOVED The Invisible
Lisa
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this book. It is one of those books that you read and wonder how on earth you had missed it for all the previous years of your life. I felt like my very soul was being analyzed and explained; makes me wonder if the author happens to be a psychiatrist in her spare time. Beautiful, hilarious, heartwarming insight into human nature. I think it would be much more appreciated by adults, but I'm sure that children would also enjoy these stories. This was the first book by the author ...more
Qt
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Beautifully written, though I thought many of the stories in this collection had a rather melancholy touch. I liked some of the other Moomin books better.
Matthew Hunter
Amanda and I - and the kids to a lesser extent - have become infatuated with Tove Jansson’s Moomin universe. Shelley Jackson’s obituary for Tove helped me better understand why the heck I’m so hooked on a series targeted (at least initially) toward the younger set.

With Tales from Moominvalley, Jansson continues moving in a heavier, more melancholic direction. My personal favorites among the nine short stories? “The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters”, “The Hemulen Who Loved Silence”, “The Invis
Nils Odlund
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't have kids, and I don't have much experience with them, but I have a feeling a lot of the stories in this collection are better suited for adults than for children. Just because a story features a cute little troll as its main character doesn't mean it's a children's story.
Then again, what do I really know? Kids are probably smarter than I give them credit for, and they'll probably get the point of these stories if they read them – or perhaps if their parents read the stories to them out
Kellie
"Ni vet ju att folk lätt blir osynliga om man skrämmer dem tillräckligt ofta."
A rough translation:
"You know that people easily get invisible if you scare them often enough."

I loved this book! It had such a beautiful meaning and this world and story is a part of my childhood. It was such a blast to read this book when I am older and to analyze it!
Krzysztof Szkutnik
To be honest I've started to read this in order to finish everything from my bookshelf, but in the end I really enjoyed it. These stories are, despite simplicity and being for kids, drives a message about life, which is refreshing.
Sofie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of short stories about Moomin and his friends from Moominvalley. A must-read for anyone who loves the adventures of the Moomin family.
Ine Gundersveen
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply psychological, this is the tale of how a child, made invisible through the cruelty of others, has her confidence (and thus her visibility) restored through love and care - and patience.
Nora
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adorable. I already miss reading the stories of the Moomins and their neighbours.
I read one or two stories a day, for a few cozy and whimsical minutes. Recommended for all big and small. ❤
Liz Blake
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favourite episodes of the 90s show all in one book. Love to own these one day
ocean 99
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely
Elie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that makes me dream with eyes wide open.
See you in moominland
Sophie
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful collection of stories. Having watched the Japanese version of the cartoons as a child in the 90s it's been lovely reading the original stories and I can't wait to read the others (I bought this one first not realising it was the 7th!). Cannot recommend highly enough.
William Stanger
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Moomins were a big part of my life when I was really young. I had a few of the books way back then, but 'lost' them as I grew up. So, I was excited a few years ago to discover that Square Fish had republished them all and that I was able to get them all from Book Outlet. Even after all this time, the magic is still there, although I probably appreciate them in a different way now.

This book contains nine short stories, featuring both old and new characters in a variety of situations, from Snu
Andrew
I've written elsewhere of my love for Tove Jansson's Moominvalley books and how they have been part of my life since I was about 10 years old. So this review will cut straight to the chase. 'Tales from Moominvalley' is one of the best titles in the series, reading more like a series of moral fables and/or tone poems than a simple short story collection. Permeating every page of the book is a bittersweet melancholia that (perhaps in my imagination) speaks to a peculiarly Scandinavian sensibility. ...more
Ksenia Anske
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, what wisdom lay in this book. What humor. What love. I read all of the Moomin books when I was little, in Russian, and am now rereading them in English for the first time, and oh, what a delight! I laughed at almost every page, and them I cried from laughing. The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters alone is worth picking up this book. The rest of the tales are as charming. Don't be fooled by the cover or the description of the book. I would easily buy this as a gift to an adult with a good s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Tove Jansson : tee työtä ja rakasta
  • Sirkka
  • Legenden om Sally Jones
  • Agnes Cecilia
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)