Start by marking “Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)” as Want to Read:
Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)

Tales from Moominvalley

(Mumintrollen #7)

In these nine delightfully funny stories, readers will discover how the Moomin family spend their first Christmas out of hibernation, how they save young Ninny from permanent invisibility, and what happens when Moomintroll catches the last dragon in the world.
Published November 6th 1995 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Moominvalley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from Moominvalley

Jordan West
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, read-in-2014
One of the most rewarding pieces of juvenile fiction I've read in a while, possessing a surprising maturity that is distinctly nordic in tone: combines poetry, understated whimsy, and dry wit with a note of gentle melancholy running through it all.
Courtney Johnston
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a bunch of strange, opaque, elliptical little stories.

This is my first entry into the Moomin world, Jansson's books having passed me by as a child. I was dubious - the pastelly coloured covers of the editions I keep weighing in my hands then returning to the shelves in Unity have put me off - but this was lent to me by a close friend whose taste I trust.

I flipped the book over and read the blurb first:

If you found a tiny golden dragon with green paws, would you know what to do it it?

Well
Mai Laakso
No eihän siinä koko Pääsiäistä mennyt Muumimaailmassa, vaan lueskelin muitakin kirjoja. Pidin vain pientä jännitystä yllä, sillä blogini 4v. synttärit ovat maaliskuussa ja toivoisin mahdollisimman monen osallistuvan kirja-arvontoihin blogissani.
Näkymätön lapsi on arvonnan yksi kirjoista.
Näkymätön lapsi ja muita kertomuksia sisältää yhdeksän kertomusta, joista jotkut voivat olla hyvinkin pelottavia. Näillä tarinoilla ei haluta perinteisessä mielessä pelotel
Mariel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a large and lonely moon
Recommended to Mariel by: I'm coming when it suits me
Somewhere under his hat the tune began to move, one part expectation, and two parts spring sadness, and for the rest just a colossal delight at being alone.
‘The Spring Tune’

I took one of those “which Moominvalley” character are you personality quizzes. It would be great to be one of them and live amongst all of the others. Well, except for the Witch (not in these stories). She recalls a certain type of much older woman I’m afraid I’ll age into if I am around them too much. The kind that seem to
I loved this book. There were several little stories about small, even nameless creatures trying to find happiness and their own strength in the big world full of norms that try to restrict life by telling people how to behave or what to do. Jansson half-secretly encourages to rebel against the society and do as you please, as long as you don't harm anyone, and the attitude of the characters and the stories generally is wonderfully liberating.

I was completely absorbed in some of the stories, lik
Fahima Jaffar
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مقدّمة غير مهمة:
هذه ليست حكاياتٍ للصغار، أو أقلاً - ليس ما اعتدنا أن يكون قصصاً للأطفال. ليس
في هذه الحكايات أميرات ولا قلاع حصينة ولا حتى النهايات السعيدة التي نختم بها حدوتة ما قبل النوم. هذا لا يعني بالطبع أن توفه جانسون (أو يانسن) حين كتبتها لم تقصد أن تخاطب بها الصغار، لكني أتسائل ما كان الأطفال قبل ستين أو سبعين عاماً أنضج منهم الآن لأنهم لم يحشوا رؤوسهم بحكايات تبسيطية عن العالم.

***

هذه ثاني قراءةٍ لحكايات المومِن - الأولى كانت مع الترجمة العربية لـ عائلة المومن الفنلندية - والكتاب السادس
Karl Orbell
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the majority of the Moomins books, which, already quite short, tell a single story - this is a compendium of very small tales indeed, mostly about people with very small tails.

The stories all center around the theme of people not fitting in with society, usually they want to get away from others and be left in peace, or they want rid of their worldly possessions that are weighing them down. Often they find great contentment in ridding themselves of their earthly baggage, and acquire great
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omasta-hyllystä
Muumikirjaprojektini jäi arjen jaloissa hieman kesken, mutta jospa nyt saisin siihen taas palattua. Ja voi että, miten viehättäviä tarinoita tämäkin piti sisällään! Lemppariksi nousi tarina Nipsun Sedrikistä sekä Muumipapasta, joka kyllästyy olemaan tavallinen kuisti-isä, ja lähtee hattivattien matkaan. Näiden tarinoiden lämpöä ei kyllä voita mikään. Vielä kaksi muumikirjaa jäljellä, nämä paranee koko ajan.
Niina
Lapsena en lukenut yhtään Tove Janssonin muumikirjaa - enkä taida olla ainoa, joka vasta aikuisena on tarttunut näihin - onneksi se ei haittaa, sillä näissä on tasoja, jotka avautuvat paremmin varttuneemmalle lukijalle.

Kokoelma Näkymätön lapsi ja muita kertomuksia sisältää yhdeksän novellia. Ensimmäinen novelli, Kevätlaulu, kertoo Nuuskamuikkusesta. Hän on kevään tullen palaamassa Muumilaaksoon ja mielessä kehittyy uusi laulu. Muikkusen vaellus häiriintyy, kun pikkuotus hakeutuu hänen seuraansa,
Maija
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-or-mg
A collection of Moomin short stories about quite dark/deep topics, actually.

For me, the shining star of this collection was "The Secret of the Hattifatteners", where Moominpappa has a midlife crisis and leaves to travel with the hattifatteners. He has seen them sailing by in silence, and thought them so free and mysterious, but are they really? It's so well-written and so atmospheric, and the descriptions are beautiful. Very eerie.

"The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters" was a much more complex
Miss Bookiverse
Dieses Buch enthält 9 Geschichten aus dem Mumintal. Demnach kommen auch nicht in jeder Geschichte Mumins vor, was ich immer sehr schade finde. Trotzdem fand ich es wieder verblüffend wie tiefsinnig viele der Geschichten interpretiert werden können. Auf den ersten Blick wirkt die unbegründete(?) Angst vor Stürmen der Filifjonka albern und übertrieben, aber eigentlich steckt dahinter eine ziemlich traurige Angststörung, die niemand richtig ernst nimmt. Ähnliche Weisheiten übers Alleinsein, Meditat ...more
Lote L.
Cik dažādas un pazīstamas sajūtas! Katrs stāsts ir Muminpapīrā ietīta emocionāla traģēdija, izaicinājums vai krīze.

Sākot ar sekām, kuras uz kautrīgu bērnu var atstāt vardarbīga ģimene, un beidzot ar sajūsmu, ar kuru tu noskaties, kā ilgi veidotā, bet neiemīlētā dzīve sabrūk tavu acu priekšā, atstājot vien lauskas un solījumu sākt visu no sākuma, šajā grāmatā ietvertas ļoti daudz un dažādas pārdzīvojamas, bet dzīvi mainošas krīzes.

Sāpīgi pieauguši tie pārdzīvojumi, un galu galā kā izcils pēdējais
Heidi (KosminenK)
No enemmänkin 4,5 tähteä. Riemastuttavia, oivaltavia lyhyitä kertomuksia, jotka muistuttivat milloin on hyvä päästää irti ja milloin on hyvä pitää kiinni. Olen jälleen mesmeroitunut Janssonin luomasta maailmasta ja olennoista. Hauskoja, vakavia, hieman jännittäviä, välillä surullisia ja lopulta hymyn nostattavia kertomuksia.
Deniss
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lij
Me gustó muchomuchomucho. De los nueve cuentos no hay uno que me parezca flojo, aburrido o algo así. Las ilustraciones son hermosas y cada historia tiene, como a Snufkin le gusta en sus canciones, un poco de alegría y melancolía al mismo tiempo. Se nota que es de los últimos libros en la serie de los Moomin porque las historias son mucho más profundas, ya no son solo Mumin y Snorkita jugando entre flores o My haciendo travesuras, aquí hay pérdida, tristeza, mentiras, toda la fuerza de la natural ...more
Ida
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeg har lest veldig lite av Tove Jansson, eller om Mummidalen, så jeg blir stadig overrasket. Det er et fantastisk univers, men etter å ha lest Det usynlige barnet får jeg inntrykk av at det også er et ganske dystert og litt tøffere sted på en måte, enn det jeg har fått inntrykk av tidligere. Det er ikke bare kos og hyggelige karakterer og happy-go-lucky. Snusmumrikken er en av karakterene jeg ble litt overrasket over og jeg fikk definitivt et litt annet inntrykk av han etter å ha lest boka. Og ...more
Dato Kvaratskhelia
Deborah O'Carroll
Aaahh, I loved this! *huggles book* As with most short story collections, there were some I liked more than others, but I enjoyed them all. :) Nine tales in all, they're each unique but come together as a fun peek into the Moomin world. ^_^

The Spring Tune was awesome -- Snufkin! A Tale of Horror turned out quite fun -- Little My! XD The Fillyjonk who Believed in Disasters, The Secret of the Hattifattiners, and Cedric were all cool. The Hemulen who Loved Silence was awesome! I LOVED The Invisible
Lisa
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this book. It is one of those books that you read and wonder how on earth you had missed it for all the previous years of your life. I felt like my very soul was being analyzed and explained; makes me wonder if the author happens to be a psychiatrist in her spare time. Beautiful, hilarious, heartwarming insight into human nature. I think it would be much more appreciated by adults, but I'm sure that children would also enjoy these stories. This was the first book by the author ...more
Ragne
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Jeg har ikke lest disse fortellingene siden jeg var barn. Nå, som voksen, ble jeg overrasket over hvor virkelighetsnær de faktisk er. Hvor mange mørke tema som blir tatt opp.
Har du, eller kjenner du noen med psykiske problemer som angst og depresjon? Les denne. Har du barn som skal lære seg om empati? Les denne for dem.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pidin tästä vähemmän, kuin muista lukemistani muumikirjoista, mutta on tämä silti ihana♥ Tässä on siis 9 lyhyttä tarinaa ja pidin kuitenkin suurimmasta osasta :)
Marie  Lund Alveberg
Grantreet. En underlig og vidunderlig fortelling om julen i skjønn Tove Jansson stil 💜
Hanne
Stuk voor stuk prachtige verhalen!
Sandra
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mina favoritberättelser var Filifjonkan som trodde på katastrofer och Mumintrollens jul under granen i snön <3
Matthew Hunter
Amanda and I - and the kids to a lesser extent - have become infatuated with Tove Jansson’s Moomin universe. Shelley Jackson’s obituary for Tove helped me better understand why the heck I’m so hooked on a series targeted (at least initially) toward the younger set.

With Tales from Moominvalley, Jansson continues moving in a heavier, more melancholic direction. My personal favorites among the nine short stories? “The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters”, “The Hemulen Who Loved Silence”, “The Invis
Jinnie Stork
"Det osynliga barnet" är en samling av kortare berättelser som utspelar sig i Mumins universum. Den består av nio fantastiska noveller, då vi möter Sniff, Fillifjonkan, Ninni, Hemulen och flera. Deras problem som tas upp är fantasifulla, men absolut igenkänbara.

Det är något med hur Tove Jansson kan fånga så djupa känslor av att känna sig förvirrad och borttappad i livet, att känna att det man gör i livet suger musten ur en, vad som händer med de som kuvas, hur ångest fungerar och så vidare. Hon
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

These are really superb little chunks of Moominland, not at all whimsical, but dark and thoughtful pieces that speak to adults trying to make sense of an imperfect world. The funniest perhaps is the last one, "The Fir Tree" ("Granen"), in which the Moomins, who normally hibernate, are woken up for Christmas and try to make sense of it. But my favourite is "The Secret of the Hattifatteners" ("Hatifnattarnas hemlighet"), in which Moominpappa abandons home
Inita
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, childrens, classics
Vēcāku mājās pamanīju plauktā šo darbu, kuru patiesībā pārlasīju. Ļoti patīk šie stāsti par Muminģimeni un daudzajiem neparastajiem radiem, draugiem un kaimiņiem.
Šajā reizē īpaši patika stāsti Svilpaste, kas ticēja katastrofai (kas nedaudz ir par mani, ka miera laikos jau gaidu katastrofu, kura vienmēr arī pienāk un tad esmu mierīga), Balto zalkšu noslēpums (arī tas savā ziņā man šobrīd asociējas ar pusmūža krīzi) un Eglīte (biedējošie Ziemassvētki).
Kellie
"Ni vet ju att folk lätt blir osynliga om man skrämmer dem tillräckligt ofta."
A rough translation:
"You know that people easily get invisible if you scare them often enough."

I loved this book! It had such a beautiful meaning and this world and story is a part of my childhood. It was such a blast to read this book when I am older and to analyze it!
Mika Lamminpää
Muumi-kirjoista tämä on ainut novellikokoelma, ja ehkä juuri siksi yksi parhaista. Jansson oli ennen kaikkea novellisti.
Mon
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nic nie tracą na wartości, ważności i atrakcyjności.
Nawet po 24 latach od ostatniej lektury :)
Tove Jansson 1 17 Apr 29, 2011 09:06AM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • Under the North Star (Under the North Star, #1)
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Eight Children and a Truck (Eight Children, #1)
  • Sinun jälkeesi, Max
  • Enkelten verta
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Дядя Фёдор, пёс и кот
  • Punainen erokirja
  • Tove Jansson: Tee työtä ja rakasta
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
“You can't ever be really free if you admire somebody too much.” 251 likes
“He was the owner of the moonlight on the ground, he fell in love with the most beautiful of the trees, he made wreaths of leaves and strung them around his neck.” 27 likes