Start by marking “Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1

Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1

(Moomin Comic Strip #1-4)

Moomin Book One is the first volume of Drawn & Quarterly’s publishing plan to reprint the entire strip drawn by Jansson before she handed over the reins to her brother Lars in 1960. This is the first time the strip will be published in any form in North America and will deservedly place Jansson among the international cartooning greats of the last century.
 The Moomins are
Published November 14th 2006 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Moomin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moomin

Start your review of Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1
danelle
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Your children should have these books. Then you should read them all instead of cooking or cleaning for said children.
Sebastien
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I came across Jansson's work some years back and was utterly charmed. I finally finished the first volume of her comic strip which is absolutely wonderful. The drawing style is deceptively simple and her quality of line and mark-making is magnificent. Lovely compositions, the writing is brilliant too (very hard to be good at both art and writing imo, heck it's hard enough being good at just one of those things!). There is a charming magic to it, a deep wryness enshrouded by cuteness. Truly imagi ...more
Emily
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Having been a fan of Tove Jansson's winsome Moomin books for many years, I was happy and excited to learn that for a few years in the 1950s, the Finnish author published a Moomin comic strip (oddly, in a British newspaper), now collected for the first time in this handsome volume, the first of five. What an unexpected treasure-trove. Yet despite being absolutely delighted to receive this for my birthday when it first came out, I was resistant to actually reading it. This was because I immediatel ...more
Nicky
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't think I have any terribly specific thoughts on the Moomin comic strips. I love them, they fill me with warm fuzzies and make me laugh, and they're awfully cute. Although there's a lot of wry commentary on human nature, I think -- the silly things they do to impress or annoy each other.

And, anyway, the Moomin comics are just perfect for sickbed reading. Just... don't take the copies out of my local library when I return them, they're probably covered in my germs...
Adam
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tove Jansson’s Moomin books are absurd comic delights that border on the edge of surreal, melancholy, and the fantastical. Whether an adult who missed these, or as gift for a child, these rank with the Roald Dahl and Dr. Seuss books but avoid the misanthropy of the former and the occasional frivolity of the latter. A weird wonderland of laugh out loud humor.
Elizabeth A
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book blurb: The Moomins are a tight-knit family–hippo-shaped creatures with easygoing and adventurous outlooks. The comic strip reached out to adults with its gentle and droll sense of humor. Whimsical but with biting undertones, Jansson’s observations of everyday life, including guests who overstay their welcome, modern art, movie stars, and high society, easily caught the attention of an international audience and still resonate today.

This author, and these comic series in particular, is much
Mathilde Paulsen
The Moomins always get 5/5 stars. This book is a collection of Tove Jansson's Moomin comics.

Some of my favorite things:
- Moominpappa's response to finding mysterious footprints was to get a weapon
- He actually shot at Snufkin (don't worry, he missed)
- Moominmamma is just so used to Momminpappa's shit that she goes along with everything
(- We stan Moominmamma)
- Sniff is an actual thief and a scoundrel
Diz
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The characters and art are very creative. The stories, on the other hand, ramble quite a bit. However, this is because these comics were originally printed as a comic strip.
Eddie Watkins
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
This book, and the other collection of comic strips and the novels, are a real treat. They're about a good-naturedly anarchic family of hippo-like trolls who let all kinds of different creatures come live in their house and who get involved in one strange adventure after another. The family actually reminds me a little of the family in Frank Capra's movie You Can't Take it With You; an anything goes type of household where creativity is given precedence and free reign.

Tove Jansson wrote a novel
Melissa
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Big-bottomed hippo-trolls, they make the rockin' world go round. I must admit that I gave this book as a gift (to the esteemed Eric) after pretty much just flipping through it and reading the first story.... but I'm sure, of all people, he'll excuse me for judging a book by its cover. "Moomin on the Riviera" is my favorite story in this collection, I think, mostly because of how it uses that age-old quandary: why does an artist bother to put a bathing suit on a normally-naked cartoon character? ...more
Christine
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have actually never read the Moomin strips, unless you count flipping though a comic that I couldn't read, though I have read the books.

These strips are cool, funny, and cute. I liked the trip to the Rivera.
Nigel
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The comic strip adventures of Moomin and friends - cute and absurd and surreal and utterly charming and adorable and wise. Both the writing and the art are enchanting and lovely. Wonderful.
Morgan Podraza
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Moomin line: "I only want to live in peace and plant potatoes and dream!"
Gretchen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly charming and exquisitely drawn.
Vee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix, hard-copy, 2017
this was truly delightful
Jorge Rosas
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Moomins but I’ve only had the anime and the recent film as a reference until I finally got my hands on this book, a series of short stories not in any apparent chronological order are included here even the travel to the Rivera and the pirate adventure, little Mym is nowhere to be seen, Moomin has an impressive background with his parents and the father doesn’t seem to care about his lost son, Snok maiden… well let’s just say she’s very different from the anime and closer to the Rive ...more
Hol
Dec 10, 2009 added it
I love the surrealism of the Moomins. In the first strips in this book, Moomin is trying to get rid of his house guests, including a deluge of "poor relations," tiny wiggling creatures who show up with their tiny suitcases and demand cocktails. (He provides these, then builds them many tiny beds.) Another unwanted guest eats the timbers of Moomin's house.
Jasmine
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finnish
I felt bad that I was the only person at work who hadn't read this.

it was adorable.
Peacegal
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the childlike surrealism of this comic.
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
It's been way too long since I last read these! Tove Jansson is my favorite and I will never stop admiring her one of a kind imagination and her way with words. Absolutely brilliant.
Kaethe Douglas
Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1 - Tove Jansson Embarking on my Moominread.Some time back I read a book of short bios of kick-ass women, that included Jansson. And then, the moomins are so freaking cute. Plus Jansson lived in Finland which is present in my mind since getting hooked on the ice hockey. so, I decided to do some further exploration before I wrote the books off as not for me.I like the eccentric family of bohemians and their madcap adventures, sort of. I love tha ...more
David
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are four stories in this volume, and of those four I think I best enjoyed the first, Moomin and the Brigands, and the last, Moomin's Desert Island. The art is wonderful and the world is rich with fantastical, imaginative creatures that you may see once and never again.

Storywise, the pacing is a little strange sometimes. Not meandering exactly, but difficult to predict to a fault. That's maybe partially the consequence of reading something designed to be consumed over the course of 74 days
Mateen Mahboubi
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to the legendary Moomin(troll) and his family. Sniff's constant quests to get rich and Moomin escaping from his relations leads to lots of fun adventures. Looking forward to reading more of these collected volumes.
Big Al
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I had to live in any fictional comic universe, please let it be this one! The Moomins appreciate all the fine things in life: imagination, adventure, food, and naps. I loved reading about each of their ridiculous escapades and was completely charmed by their philosophical way of being.
Ksenia
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't think I need to convince anyone to read Moomin at this point. I love to revisit these sweet comic strips that are fluffy at first glance while often hinting at the deeper philosophical or political points Tove wanted to impart on her readers.
Jason Lundberg
It's ridiculous how long it's taken me to read Moomin, but after seeing Moomin paraphernalia all over Helsinki, I finally took the plunge. And I'm so glad I did. I love this book to pieces.
Marlous (agnesnutter_witch)
This was such a cute book. I loved the little details of the comic, and the style in general. The storylines were absurd and unrealistic, in a good way. It just made me happy.
susie
Dec 12, 2018 added it
Shelves: fiftyfifty-2018
these iconically weird comics were published in the mid fifties. i find something deeply reassuring every time i rediscover that we, as people, have always been unserious and quirky.
Vishal Katariya
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, best
Oh lord dear Moomin where have you been in my life so far?
Zoe
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hehe!!! Live in peace, plant potatoes, and dream!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • The Frank Book
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Tove Jansson : tee työtä ja rakasta
  • Bug Boys
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 9
  • My Crowd
  • Cartea cu Apolodor
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 10
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 7
  • Følg med nå
  • Mog and the Baby
  • Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 8
  • Mauvaises filles
  • Onnenkissa
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Moomin Comic Strip (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Moomintroll and the End of the World (Tove Jansson's first Moomin comic strip with essays on her life and work)
  • Moomin and the Brigands
  • Moomin Begins a New Life
  • Moomin Falls in Love

News & Interviews

“I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream!” 318 likes
“Moominpappa: "Tell us all that's happening out in the world!"

Snufkin: "Fuss and misery."

- from "Moomin and Family Life" comic strip”
16 likes