Start by marking “How Can You Defend Those People?” as Want to Read:
How Can You Defend Those People?

How Can You Defend Those People?

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In the tradition of true crime bestsellers by Alan Dershowitz and Dominick Dunne, Mickey Sherman delivers a powerful and extraordinarily candid account of his legal career that gives the readers an all-access backstage pass to not only the sausage factory that is the criminal justice system but the big cases we have all lived with on TV. Sherman started his career as a pub ...more
Published September 15th 2014 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How Can You Defend Those People?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Can You Defend Those People?

Michele Pardon
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who knows me as a person who survived the grueling criminal justice system on the victim's side constantly asks me, how can you psossibly stomach this book?

When it was first reccomended to me by a fellow crime survivor friend, I thought the same thing. How can you possibly read this??? AT FIRST.

However, given that famed defense lawyer Mickey Sherman handled infamous cases in the area I grew up in- (Fairfield county, Michael Skakel, Alex Kelly) I thought I would give him the benefit of the
Kim
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reading . . . but great fun as a criminal defense attorney to find out how the big wigs answer the interminable question about how we can do what we do.
Brian DiMattia
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Sherman was always a good story teller, and that's what this book is...good stories.

Sherman pulls back the curtains to demonstrate just how un-mysterious the legal process is. His manages the same tone of bemused honesty to describe his everyday wins and losses, and still breaks down in a very human way on the little moments that came as shocks and heartbreakers. He looks back with equal respect on all the different stages of his career, with as many lessons learned from being an underapp
Greg
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, nonfiction, memoir
Mr. Sherman was a very high-profile defense attorney who defended some headline-grabbing cases. But he is known as a TV personality who commented on almost all of the high-profile legal battles since OJ. This book focuses more on Sherman's personality than what he did for his clients. The true measure of a defense attorney is what he does for his clients - not himself. Veteran defense attorneys, especially those in the trenches every day, will be a little irked at Sherman's megalomania.

It is al
Joe Kapraszewski
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who hasn't had the need for a criminal defense lawyer
Shelves: law-legal
This is one of those books that has a catchy title and is a catchy read. The author takes a subject that not everyone would seem to enjoy reading (eg. the life of a criminal defense lawyer), and makes it very readable. I enjoyed reading about the defense side, where most of the time we think of these people as the "bad guys" since they are the accused. Sometimes they are not the right bad guy. What the author does is make people realize hopefully is that he's just doing his job... with the humor ...more
Theresa
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is not my typical book, but it was really interesting. It's very easy to read, conversational, and yet thought-provoking. It's from the point of view of an attorney who is a criminal defense attorney. He has worked in other areas of the law, and he provides an apologetic for his work without being defensive or shrill. Actually, he is funny, approachable, and matter-of-fact. I think of it as an afternoon read for a cloudy day by the fireplace or a nice day on the beach.
Andrew
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I work as a public defender in the Missouri State Public Defender System. Sherman writes an accessible introduction to the world of criminal defense work. His prior experience as a prosecutor only adds to his credibility. I didn't care so much for the latter third or so of the book, where he concentrates on his specialized TV-lawyer experiences.
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haha okay, most people probably won't like this book unless they're into politics and law, but I loved it. Mickey Sherman is so funny, and this book really helps people to see that defense attorneys aren't horrible people.
Toni Fuscellaro
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The writer is very charismatic and it came through in his book. He tells good stories about what it takes to defend people when the public has already decided that they are guilty.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The thing is, he should have interviewed a few PDs for his polls, instead of nothing but high-priced mouthpieces such as himself. We PDs have even better stories than the rich boys do.
Matt
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, nonfiction, law
Mickey Sherman gives an excellent look at what it means to be a defense attorney, along with some fascinating examples from his own practice. With a wry, and somewhat twisted sense of humor, he very effectively explains the importance of defense attorneys in our legal system.
Princess
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this book! It has a very conversational tone and covers all sorts of questions that one might want to ask a defense attorney. If you've ever wondered how criminal defense attorneys do their jobs, then I highly recommend this book.
Karen
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved it. Mickey Sherman is a ham- he may think he is funnier than he is, but he is still funny. A good read whether or not you care about law.
Neal