Start by marking “I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  286,045 Ratings  ·  14,802 Reviews
Nine teenagers and their guardians are hiding on Earth - protected by a charm that means they can only be killed in numeric order, three are already dead. John Smith is Number Four. And his mortal enemies are hunting him down.
Published September 1st 2010 by Michael Joseph (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Number Four, please sign up.
Alyssa the movie makes A LOT of changes (pretty clear the writers of the script did not even read the book), but if you watch it without comparing the two…morethe movie makes A LOT of changes (pretty clear the writers of the script did not even read the book), but if you watch it without comparing the two the whole time its pretty good...(less)
Lana Brett Yes great book watch the movie didn't like it

Haleema
This book is so strange and awful, it's hard to explain exactly why I dislike it.

Thank God this book didn't live up to its hype like Twilight did. At least I hope it didn't because I don't really hear much about this one.

I couldn't get past chapter nine. It was such a bloody bore. I decided to give it time for me to find that little "spark." But, no.

Now here are the problems:

1. Lore can't use the word "and" in the proper way. Which seems like it's not a big of a deal, but it is! He randomly p
Lucy
Joyzi
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind reading ridiculous alien stories
Recommended to Joyzi by: my boyfriend duh!
Movie Update
I already watched the movie and it was better than the book. The romance was still gushy and mushy but at least the dialogues were a lot better in the movie. Also the movie was more fast paced and was action-packed at the end of the show. I think the dog was really cute and Number Six was really cool in the movie. Sam was also likable in the film. After watching Alex Pettyfer act on the screen for the first time I got to say he deserve and he's fitted for the Peeta Mellark and Jace W
Ken
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2010, ya
I AM NUMBER FOUR is actually number four million if you consider the predecessors it is based upon. Meaning? We've been here before. About a bazillion times.

Let's take stock: aliens on Earth disguised as Earthlings. In fact, your neighbor may be a Lorien (the "good guy" planet of concern here) and the haberdasher (way to blend in!) may be a Mogadarian (the "bad guy" aliens who are hunting Lorien-types to the death). Novel idea, eh?

So our protagonist is on his 5,398th alias. It's (steady now) "Jo
P
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.”

I Am Number Four was unexpectedly fun. John Smith or Number four is my favorite character. I really loved his wits and the pace of this book, it's insanely fast that I didn't dare to breath when something happened. Pittacus slowly built up tensions through the book, and he abruptly released them at the right time, it worked so well for me I gave 5 stars without hesitation.

“That’s the worst way to miss somebody. When they’re right beside yo
Arlene
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

There is always hope… Don’t give up hope just yet. It’s the last thing to go. When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. So when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.

Wow! Just wow!! Have I ever loved an alien invasion!?! This book was (no pun intended) OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD!

Okay, it’s official… I’m an alien fan and all this business about invasions, them possibly living among us, alternate life forms out there, other planets…
Jessica
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 24-ebooks
The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia,
Number Two in England,
And Number Three in Kenya.
I am Number Four.
I am next.

Catchy, isn’t it?

Unfortunately, the story itself isn’t quite as catchy. I was rather underwhelmed, to be honest.

The plot was ok but somehow it only managed to hold my attention for a period of about 10 minutes. After that, I found myself getting bored and my thoughts kept drifting off to random topics like "what’s for dinner" or "shit, I really need to iron that white blouse o
Sabrina
I removed my review (and all the comments).

I was tired sick of people writing me lengthy comments about how I read too much realistic fiction (really?), how I can't appreciate something fun and not overly brainy (do tell!) and, in general, all the ways I'm so obtuse for failing to appreciate this crap book.

Sorry trolls people, but my opinions are my own and I still think this book was lame, badly written, unoriginal and an overall neurons-killer.
Kogiopsis
May 13, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review still in progress, but here's approximately the first half... pre-reading comments at the end.

EDIT: Okay, I'm never going to finish this thing. Frankly, I don't care. But I added a list of things I was planning to put into it at the end.

EDIT 2: Everyone who is even THINKING about reading this book should read this article: http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/... and find out exactly what you're dealing with and what you're supporting.

Introduction: I Am The Fourth Matrix

There is a th
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
You must turn off your brain and ask no questions when reading this book. It’s a requirement to enjoy it. I failed miserably. It may be readable but I Am Number Four is predictable and clichéd with inaccurate and vague descriptions and explanations.

For the most part I Am Number Four is an easy read although the language at times struck me as amateurish and clunky. Perhaps I expected too much after all this is YA but Lorien, it’s inhabitants and culture were too simple or too similar to that of
~Tina~
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5stars)

The planet Lorien had been destroyed, leaving only nine young Garde and there guardians/keepers a chance to escape, survive, in hopes that they can fight again and save there race, flee to Earth.
They secretly weave among us as they slowly learn how to develop there powers, there Legacies. The Mogadorians, the ones responsible for destroying there home hunts them by order of there numbers.
It started out as a group of nine. Three killed. Six left. They wont stop till all are destroyed.
Kristy
Okay, class. here is your quiz!

Did I enjoy this book??? Yes

Was it fast-paced? Yes
Did it include enough action? Yes
Was there a love story? Yes
Did I have strong emotions in certain scenes? Yes
Do I want to read the next book? YES!!!
Will I watch the Movie? YES!!!
Were the character's likeable? Yes
Were the well developed? Yes
Did I enjoy the unvieling of the Legacies? Yes
Did I love Henri? Yes
Was I completely in the dark and suprised by the ending? Yes
Did I like the appearance of #6 at the end? Yes
Did i
Ashley Daviau
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! I've heard a lot of hype surrounding it and so I was a little hesitant going in but from page one I was completely drawn in and didn't want to put it down!

I absolutely adore everything about the concept. From the Legacies to the Loric to the Chest and everything in between, it's just all so interesting and absolutely captivating! I wanted to dive into this world and completely immerse myself in it!

I also really loved the charact
Natalie Monroe
I haven't been this infuriated by a book since Fifty Shades of Grey. I am Number Four is hand-down one of the worst books I have ever read, and that's saying something because I've read Gone, which reads like 12-year-old fanfiction, and the overly purple prose of Fallen and Shiver. This book has it all: bad writing, flimsy characters, what-the-fuck-is-happening-here plot and one cliche after another.

Let's start off with the writing:

You know there's something wrong with a book when you have to
Anja
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
*3.75 LORIEN STARS*

"When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope."

This was my first time reading this book and it was a pretty okay read. I wasn't blown away but it wasn't bad either. I watched the movie adaption about 4 years ago when it first came out but I didn't remember a lot of it so the story was still quite "new" to me.

One thing that immediately annoyed me was John's name. I mean, John Smith? Serious
Alicia
One of the worst books I've read so far in 2011, second only after Spells in stupidity. I suppose this is another case of a book with a decent concept, but incredibly weak execution of said concept. My main gripe with this book was that it just bored me out of my mind. I am not usually a skimmer. I tend to read slowly, and really absorb each word and sentence, but this book just had me itching to skim through large sections. Boredom aside, I found the characters and dialogue quite wooden, and th ...more
Amanda
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, crap, blog
You know the most suspenseful, well-written part of I am Number Four? The cover: "Three are dead. I am number four." Pretty kick ass, huh? I certainly thought so, which is why I read it. Now I wish I had just left it on the shelf and let the power of those two lines remain my only association with the novel.

I'm about to point out several flaws to which many people will say, "Yeah, but it's young adult fiction." To them I say that just because a novel is labeled as "young adult" doesn't excuse s
Sandy
You know the characterization sucks when the best character in the book is the dog....
Michelle. D.
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
OK, I loved this book. LOVED IT.
The characters were great, the plot was great, the events were great, the setting was great, EVERYTHING WAS GREAT!
The whole concept of the book was amazing!

But I got this weird vibe coming from deep within me after I finished reading the book. And it really annoyed me and angered me.
Here I am, just finished reading this amazing book, and i have this weird vibe just radiating from me.
It took me a few days to figure out what it was, so I will explain to you what the
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This book is an entertaining and easy read. It reminds you of Superman plus X-men which means this book contains a really cool story with really cool characters. The story begins so intensely, it grabbed my focus immediately. Its movie adaptation is good enough, though not as good as the book. I wonder when the movie sequels will come.
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
$1.99 on 23 June 2016

Wow, crazy mixed reviews for this one. I mean, cray cray mixed. For $1.99, I just might be crazy enough to find out for myself... I mean, aliens, right? Aliens are awesome.
Annalisa
Years ago I was watching The X-Files movie and during the climax scene Mulder and Scully need to get out of some remote, creepy warehouse before the building is destroyed (probably by aliens; it was always aliens that messed up Mulder's plans, and the show. Once upon a time X-Files was one of my favorite shows until they fell on the alien crutch every singe episode and gave up on coming up with with cool sci-fi explanations for the unexplained. Aliens ruin another good story, sigh. But I digress ...more
Mizuki
I don't plan to read that book. But right now I'm watching the movie...

Here's a few things I noticed...

(1) The male lead is one of the most unattractive male leads I have ever seen in any YA movie.

(2) Of course we get a "new student in a new school" setting.

(3) Of course there's a pretty, sweet blond girl, a handful of bullies and a bullied geek in this new high school. TOTALLY ORIGINAL.

Plus, since the main character is a boy instead of a girl, so we got a Pretty Blond Girl instead of a Prince
Suzanne
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot believe I waited so long to start this series! I am going to go get the others at the library throughout the next few weeks. This is a very fascinating plot and the characters are so likeable!
Evangelin
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"I Am Number Four" is an interesting novel packed with action,YA and romance.I was addicted to this book because of the concept of this book.I will explain to you in short about the story line.

Ever wondered that maybe all of them who are in this world aren't normal people?What if they have special powers??Even your best friend could be one of them.No one knows!!

Nine people(along with their guardians)are on a run.They come from a far away planet called Lorian which is ten times smaller than Ear
Cat
Mar 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what "I Am Number Four" is doing here on a website dedicated to reviewing books, because whatever this thing is (a travesty? a sham?), it's not a book. It's a disgrace to real books, which isn't quite the same thing.

That's how awful this piece of writing is. It's so awful I can't bring myself to call it a book, even though it's masquerading as one for tax purposes. Heed my warning, gentle reader: do not read this thing. I don't know you, but I know you're better than this. I have fa
Eric Allen
I Am Number Four
Book 1 of the Lorien Legacies
By Pittacus Lore

A Review by Eric Allen

Once upon a time, Michael Bay made a horrible movie. Okay, he's made quite a few horrible movies, but I Am Number Four stands out amongst them as having the absolute worst acting I have EVER seen put to film in my life, and keep in mind I've been through college film-making courses where I had to watch quite a few awful student films. It is REALLY saying something when this large budgeted flop of a movie takes the
★ Jess
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A few years ago I heard about a movie called District 9. The majority of people I spoke to seemed to love it. One day my dad brought a copy home from the DVD store, and against my better instinct decided to watch it. I firmly believed that-being about aliens, spaceships and full of action-I would hate it. I thought it would be a 'geekish' movie, but none the less decided to give in to my dads pestering and watch it.
112 minutes later, the movie had ended and I walked from the room with a giant s
LeAnne
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a teenaged fantasy-other world - alien - magical powers book I listened to along w my 14 year old. We started listening to it on a 5 Hour drive home this past weekend. Upon having unloaded the car, he called out to me MOM!!! CMON - LETS LISTEN TO THE REST!

So, yeah. I put in 11 or 12 awful hours over the past two days with this teeny bopper thing. But my kid and I got to complain about the characters, ask each other plot questions, etc for all that time. PRICELESS! 💙💚
Sara
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Instead of writing a whole essay about the flaws in this book and my issues toward Pittacus Lore for writing such a disgraceful book as I had originally planned, I decided to write only one pro and one con. Hopefully, once you read the pro and the con, you can decide for yourself whether or not I Am Number Four is worthy of your time.

Pro: The plot and ideas expressed in this book are extremely clever and witty. An alien planet called Lorien was destroyed and in order to survive, nine Lorien ch
Sarah or Six? 230 494 Mar 06, 2018 09:49AM
UCAS English 10 H...: Feburary reading assignment 1 5 Feb 15, 2018 05:09PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore - Restarting November 20th 2017 177 231 Dec 08, 2017 03:10AM
  • Brain Jack
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Watch the Skies (Daniel X, #2)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Seizure (Virals, #2)
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)
  • Day of the Predator (TimeRiders, #2)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • Adversary (Ganzfield, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1)
Pittacus Lore is Lorien’s ruling Elder. He has been on Earth preparing for the war that will decide Earth’s fate. His whereabouts are unknown.
More about Pittacus Lore

Lorien Legacies (7 books)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
  • United as One (Lorien Legacies, #7)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.” 2713 likes
“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.” 890 likes