Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Reggae (Rough Guide Music Guides)” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Reggae (Rough Guide Music Guides)

The Rough Guide to Reggae (Rough Guide Music Guides)

The Rough Guide to Reggae is the only book of its kind available. The first two editions of the Rough Guide to Reggae were the top-selling books on the subject, and widely acclaimed by the music press and fans alike. Illustrated throughout with over 400 pictures, many of them exclusive photos, the book also features exclusive interviews with reggaeas top stars, and reviews ...more
Paperback, 3rd edition, 484 pages
Published September 27th 2004 by Rough Guides (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Reggae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Reggae

Tech XXIII
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry And Heavy
here's a couple of gents who know their stuff, and i can't imagine much has been left out of this comprehensive history of reggae/jamaican music! this was the edition i wanted to get hold of, as it would have been a harder book to compile then (21 years ago) than it would be today, given the vast amount of reggae music currently 'in print'. it was an interest to see what was available at this time. anyhoo, running chronologically, the book covers the phases of mento, ska, rocksteady
Joe Lunday
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Comprehensive, critical, and thoroughly informative. The guide is organized as a loose history of styles and artists, about midway between a narrative history and a survey. The worst I can say about it is that this edition, presumably the last, is now nearly 15 years old, so many of the discs recommended are out of print. I deliberately slowed down the pace with which I read this so that I had time to absorb some of the albums I was compelled to buy.
Phil Overeem
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific guide that's a bit better than rough. At first, you might consider it tough going; it's arranged both chronologically and by style, so, for example, you'll need to visit multiple sections to cover all of Lee Perry. But it is very smart, very exacting, and...very fun. Plus: what other guide to reggae is even out there?
mr.fantasy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants to know about the roots reggae period (1970-1985)
Recommended to mr.fantasy by: Jah
Shelves: music
I picked up this guide near when it came out 2001 and at a time nearer to the infancy of the internet, before the wealth of information regarding "roots reggae" arrived online. Regardless of the Ska to Ragga survey, this guide appropriately centers on the gist and pinnacle of the definitive era of reggae, the latter half of the 1970s.

Interestingly the cover image, and seller to novices, is the picture of icon Bob Marley. The good thing that this guide will do for the reader concerning finding t
jake
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jamaica's incredibly prolific musical output is a phenomenon totally out of proportion to the island's small size, its 2 million strong population and modest wealth. Equally significant is the huge influence of reggae music on everything from punk to hip hop to today's dj culture. So if you're looking for a reggae primer that really explains what it's all about, this is the book to get.

Authors Steve Barrow and Peter Dalton possess an unrivalled knowledge of Jamaica's rich musical heritage and if
Elyssa
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: reggae fans
Shelves: music
This is not really a book to read cover-to-cover, but I did spend a couple hours looking through it and might buy the next edition. The book is an overview of reggae music from its mento/ska beginnings to present day incarnations. I was most interested in learning more about some of my favorite artists. I also identified many CDs to add to my collection from my preferred genre of Rasta/roots/conscious reggae. I was happy to read about a new generation of roots artists, which gives me hope for fu ...more
Crunkyteen
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Rough Guide to Reggae is one reference book I keep coming back to time and again. Bought the First edition back in the late '90s. It's a shame this isn't in print. Absolutely essential for any fan of the music. Hundreds of recommendations. Will help keep you rocking for decades. There really isn't anything else like it.
JoHnny Haddo
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
if you only read one book on reggae..this is your baby,,Steve Barrow is the most inform man in the world, when it's comes to reggae, from mento, to ska, to rockers, to dance-hall and beyond, it's all there..excellent!
David
Feb 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: potheads, music enthusiasts
There's more to reggae than "Bob"
Jason Tyus
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Superb reference work on all facets of reggae, an essential purchase for all true fans of the music.
Etienne Stekelenburg
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biebboek
Prachtig boek voor als je iets zoekt over reggae, ska, dancehall of Jamaicaanse muziekgeschiedenis. Een boek om binnen handbereik te hebben wanneer je een reggaeplaatje op zet.
Joel Santos