Start by marking “Fallen Son” as Want to Read:
Fallen Son

Fallen Son (Captain America)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,302 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
The death of Captain America hits the Marvel Universe - hard! Be there as superstar Jeph Loeb teams with the industry's top artists on a story that will have everyone talking, navigating the turbulent post-Civil War landscape! Can the world accept the death of a true hero? In the wake of a tragedy, we visit the top heroes of the Marvel Universe. How do people with amazing ...more
Published October 24th 2007 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Son

Jeff
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Two and a half stars

Real life conversation from the bullpen at Marvel Comics, the House of Ideas:

Editor 1: Ed Brubaker’s Captain America is absolutely brilliant. He’s taken a character who we basically ran into the ground with bad stories and bad villains and made him into a vital and integral part of the Marvel universe.

Editor 2: Yeah, but we just killed him.

Editor 1: Doesn’t matter. He won’t stay dead. He’s not the Whizzer. He’s Captain freaking America. So now we have to come up with a tribut
Sesana
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I'm so glad I read this. I hadn't really known it existed, when I was reading through Brubaker's run on Cap, which is a shame. This is a beautifully written, heartfelt, and moving look at the sort of grief that a man like Steve leaves behind him. And it loses none of its impact for knowing how the story would eventually turn out. This is one of those rare times when an event miniseries that could have been a cash grab turns out to be a gift to the reader.
Anne
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say. It was a beautiful tribute to Captain America, and (I can't believe I'm admitting this) I got a little bleary eyed at the end.
I'm still holding out hope that Cap makes a comeback, but if he doesn't this is a fitting ending.
Nicolo Yu
This is one story, which was originally presented as a five issue miniseries and collected in this softcover, I’ve wondered whether it was necessary to exist. It did serve to drive sales, identifying itself with an event that was covered by mainstream media. It had Jeph Loeb, who was not one to shy away from an opportunity to have his name appear on a best-selling comic book, providing the scrip. He is abetted by five of marvel’s biggest artists, John Romita, Jr., Leinil Yu, Ed McGuiness, David ...more
Relstuart
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super-hero
This follows the Death of Captain America and shows how those who knew him dealt with it. It deals with it via five stories each highlighting one of the stages of grief: denial (Wolverine), anger (Avengers), bargaining (Hawkeye), depression (Spider-Man), and acceptance (Iron Man).

I thought Wolverine's comment to Spider-man about how it feels to lose someone was especially poignant.
Sooraya Evans
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never knew this volume existed.
Chapter 2 was just a mess. Sea monsters and Poker?
I personally loved the artwork in Chapter 4. But felt slightly disturbed when the web crawler decides to pound on the unexpected visitor. Not cool Spidey!
The ending in Chapter 5 seems fitting to conclude the arc.
Gavin
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't give Loeb 5 stars, Jeff is right. Brubaker should've done this.
That being said, it worked pretty well, and I got a little misty eyed, even though it was contrived.

Hawkeye showing up from th dead and test driving until he met Kate Bishop...
Logan confirming, poker night, Namor being a voice of reason...
Iron Man still a douche.
Falcon well spoken, and Spidey had no reason to fight Rhino, that was bad. Logan was used very well however, to step in as a big brother figure to Peter, the one he c
TRACEY
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Don
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice tribute to Captain America. I like the way they broke it up into five issues, one for each of the stages of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. A very grown up story with characters dealing with loss. It wasn't a happy story, but it was really well told. The speech at Cap's public funeral was very well done and inspiring.
Amy Lawrence
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2015
that has to be near the top of my list of favourite comics
Jaime
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow. This was wonderful and heart breaking. Too soon.
Christian Smith
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story(Jeph Loeb): 9/10

Fav Artist: David Finch Iss# 4

PARENTS GUIDE

Age Level: 9+

Violence: 4/10

#1 quick scene where a character is shot repetitively. Some blood.

#2 a battle with a sea monster. Average blood involved.

Other fight scenes

Sex/Nudity: 3/10

#2 3 female characters are seen in tight costumes.

#3 very brief mention about sleeping with a friends wife.

Profanity: 4/10

Couple "P" "D" "A" and "H" words throughout. Nothing excessive.
Lusitarius
Well that was beautiful. This comic really touched me, though I was a bit sceptic about it. It's been awhile since I read the assassination of Captain America but starting to read this comic it felt like it was yesterday. Oh god how fantastic this comic was! The emotions, all of them, were huge!
Tupac
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love it this book I couldnt put it down, I finished it in an afternoon, the story is very engaging. ...more
Feather Mista
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y del personaje
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano
Increíble, un comic de Jeph Loeb sin Tim Sale que me gustó. ¡Un comic de Jeph Loeb sin Tim Sale que me gustó bastante! De hecho, es un comic de Jeph Loeb sin Tim Sale que me gustó bastante que trata sobre cómo se toman varios personajes la noticia de la muerte del Capitán América, ¡y que no me dio repelús al leerlo! Quizás ayuda que todos los dibujantes involucrados son de muy buenos para arriba. Quizás ayuda que el tratamiento de los personajes, los diálogos, los guiones, todo el conjunto, bah, ...more
Jerome
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
The Civil War story arc got me interested in Marvel Comics again, and since they're the only company with a presence in the Nook Store, I've been able to catch up on some of their more recent graphic novels. This one was a bit shaky as a collected story (covering five individual comic books), but still flowed acceptably well. It was good, though, as a look at how Captain America's closest friends reacted to and dealt with his death.
Holden Attradies
A really good follow up to Cap's Death and the events of "Civil war". The tone and events really shows how grown up Marvel comics can/has become. I really enjoyed the chapter that was about Spider-man, he really seems to never come out on the good end of things and his reflections really show that.
Sara (sarajanereads)
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics

I think this was my favourite Civil War arc yet!

I enjoyed seeing everyone reactions to caps death, and the way they all dealt with their guilt and grief. It was a great character driven book and a great way to finish the civil war event (at least i think this is meant to be the last part).

Solid read and would definitely recommend reading this if you've read Civil War.
Wendy
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
I wanted to like this more, but, reading this long after the book was published and subsequent events, this story ends up being a mockery thanks to typical Marvel actions. Instead of being a tribute, this serves only to diminish this entire storyline, the character and the meaning of his sacrifice.
Dani (ダニ)
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Sam and Tony's speeches were so sad and touching they made me cry. Literally. I've never cried reading a comic. That alone deserves 5 stars.
Jinji
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, after reading 3 books of Scalped consecutively over these past weekends, I changed up the pace a bit by getting back with a superhero comic book. Captain America: Fallen Son!!! Obviously, this comes after The Death of Captain America. This book showcases how the other people around Rogers were affected by the loss. Jeph Loeb wrote 5 issues, to represent the 5 stages of loss, with 5 central characters, and 5 different artists. First is denial, with Wolverine, and drawn by Leinil Yu; Anger wi ...more
Michal Vámoš
Pocity z toho mám jednoznačný - čistý průměr.
Nejvíce zaujal příběh s Wolverinem, naštval ten se Spider-Manem, ze kterého udělali úplného dementa.
V podstatě to nic moc nenabídlo a jako nějaké "rozloučení" nebo pocta postavě mi to taky moc nesedlo - i když je dost možný, že to je jen tou optikou dnešního čtenáře, který ví, že smrt v komiksech je jen dočasné odklizení, takže tohle působilo dost lacině.
Shane
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It makes total sense that the aftermath of Cap's death should get an entire graphic novel. He's one of the biggest characters in the Marvel universe. And I didn't feel like this was some kind of marketing thing to sell more comics. You really feel for the characters, especially Spider-Man, as they take a break from saving the world to mourn one of the best among them.
Gustavo
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
El título es algo engañoso, ya que no es la muerte del Capitán América en sí, sino "Fallen Son" en donde se cuenta como se toman algunos superhéroes de Marvel la muerte del Cap.

A excepción de la ultima historia que es muy emotiva y dibujada fantásticamente, me pareció todo bastante meh. No malo, sino bastante olvidable.
Nate Meadows
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but very well done, dealing with Steve Rodgers's funeral and how it affects various other heroes. Really great art! My only complaint is it should have been included in The Death of Captain America trade.
Judith
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Wolverine, Hawkeye and Iron Man issues save this arc from being utterly forgettable.
John Bertone Jr.
Great story and great artwork.
Kamillah
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America considers Steve Rogers' legacy not by flashing back to his life's highlights, but by focusing on his influence on some of his closest comrades. This book collects a five issue mini-series by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by a team of notable Marvel artists; it tells one story through the varied reactions of a select few of Steve's fellow superheroes. Fallen Son can be viewed as yet another special collection meant to stretch the death of Captain America dolla ...more
Erik
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The five interlocking stories in this Fallen Son mini-series by legendary writer Loeb – whose Batman stories inspired and shaped Christopher Nolan’s two critically successful Batman films – comprise one long “dark night of the soul” in which various Marvel heroes grapple with the death of an icon. Loeb cleverly – and strategically -- frames each of the five stories around one of the five stages of grief: denial (Wolverine), anger (Avengers), bargaining (Hawkeye), depression (Spider-Man), and -- ...more
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man
  • Civil War: Iron Man
  • Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 2
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • Civil War: Wolverine
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Captain America (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Captain America: The Legacy of Captain America
  • Batman/Captain America
  • Captain America/Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers
  • Captain America: Red, White & Blue
“Wolverine and Spider-Man on depression:
--Wanna know why it's called "depression"? Because it IS depressing...
A death isn't like losing a job or getting divorced. You don't "get over it." You have to integrate it into your life. Learn to live with it.
But... Life does get better.
--Someday...?
--Best you can hope for.
--Someday.”