Start by marking “Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind: Writings on the Connections between Yoga and Buddhism” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this collection of provocative essays by prominent teachers of Yoga and Buddhism, the common ground of these two ancient traditions becomes clear. Michael Stone has brought together a group of intriguing voices to show how Buddhism and Yoga share the same roots, the same values, and the same spiritual goals. The themes addressed here are rich and varied, yet the essays ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind: Writings on the Connections between Yoga and Buddhism
Frank Jude
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This anthology, edited by Michael Stone, is an important contribution to the dialogue between (classical) yoga and buddhism which had been derailed for a couple of centuries, but is now going at full-tilt in the west. In fact, this renewed dialogue may be one of the greatest contributions the west is making to these two yogic cultures!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a chapter in this anthology, and know several of the other contributors, including Chip Hartranft, Jill Satt
Unit of Raine
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Eh. I mean, it's interesting to read formal essays on Buddhist and yogic theory, dogma, practice, etc. But I don't think I'm there. I'm not *that* interested in the theory, history, original texts, etc.

And I can't believe that it's a SHOCKING REVALATION that Buddha was a yogi first before reaching enlightenment and founding Buddhism. The two belief structures are so similar: definition of suffering, goals, steps, practices, etc.

On the plus side, between the book and the Kandmpa classes, I now
Duncan Reed
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, spirituality
Well worth reading, but a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the chapters did not resonate with me at all, but the chapters by Chip Hartranft, Chris Chapple, Jill Satterfield and Ajahn Amaro were worth the price of the book as they were excellent. Some very interesting points of just how close Patanjali's 8 limbs are to the Buddhas 4 Noble Truths and 8 Fold Path.
Jayney
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, yoga
I have always been curious about the connections between Yoga and Buddhism. Where I am currently living (Chichester, West Sussex) yoga classes are very focused on the body and the most accessible classes are the fashionable hot yoga classes. There's no Ashtanga or Inyengar classes for about 50 miles. (& with the bottle neck road conditions and dire public transport system in the UK that's really far!) As a consequence I have turned to buddhism to deepen my self reflection, meditation and to ...more
Jayme
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is a collection of articles from Buddhist/Yoga Practitioners. I found it hit-and-miss and felt that there was a grating lack of coherence in the book. I skimmed through most of it, enjoyed some chapters (Sarah Powers, in particular, was a highlight) but parts of this book were so very dry and academic that they left no impression.
Celeste
Aug 01, 2018
dana
Oct 17, 2016
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.