Start by marking “City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)

City Under the Sand (D&D: Dark Sun)

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Aric, a half-elf with a rare natural ability with the psionic discipline known as “the Way,” must find his place in a world ruled by the tyranny of evil sorcerer kings, and dominated by the savage wilds of the Athasian desert, a world presided over by the unrelenting crimson eye of Dark Sun®.
When Aric is brought into a quest to search for a priceless trove weapons, he wou
Published October 5th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about City Under the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Under the Sand

Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
City Under the Sand by Jeff Mariotte- This is the first book in the relaunched novel line of Dark Sun, a setting of Dungeons and Dragons. Currently, this is a stand-alone novel. This is Jeff Mariotte's first novel that is set in a Dungeons and Dragons shared universe, but he's written a number of other novels. His original works include; Witch Season (Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring), Las Vegas (High Stakes Game and Sleight of Hand), The Slab, Boogeyman, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and ...more
Oct 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Really bad book, in addition to the lack of respect the new WoTC team continues to show for previous works, this book contains several editorial mistakes (noun-pronoun concordance, character's names misplaced in actions) terribly boring flow, nonsensical twists and a laughable resolution. Don't waste your money with this book.

Spoiler warning.

A demon in Athas sounds like a good idea. One can even envision a fight between Nibenay and the demon. Instead the haughty, vain and quite powerful sorcere
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This for me was frustrating.

I love D&D, I love psionics, yet this came too short...

I had very high expectations for this books, because it gathered two things I like.

However, this was my first Dark Sun novel.

I am familiar with the setting and all, so there wasn't a whole lot of negative surprises there.

I just think it was very slow paced. It didn't pull me constantly at wanting to know what was going to happen, except in the last third of the book.

I honestly cannot put my finger on what went
Henning Hj
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
The good first: The beginning showed promise and the end wasn't as bad as the rest. Other than that, it was characters you couldn't believe in, a storyline that seemed to be the result of a D&D DM bound by the table for random encounters and dialogue so far from the tone of the setting that I had to take long pauses to get the energy to continue reading. Only my old principle of never giving up on a book I've started made me finish it, and I believe this book has finally buried that principl ...more
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
This book was entertaining, but it has some problems. There's a lot of typos and grammar issues that even a vaguely competent editor should have caught. More importantly, the pacing is very bad. The first third to half of the novel drags, and while it gets into a good rhythm after a while, it then rushes through the ending in the last 5% or so. While it wasn't horrible, it could've been better, and it could've used some more exposition about the Dark Sun setting for those not familiar with it.
Jan 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Wow. This may have been one of the worst fantasy novels I've read. I think the publisher gave the author a copy of the monster guide, told him to pick some monsters, and write a story that includes them. This book was never looked over by an editor, with obvious errors at least every other page. I'm just glad the later releases in the relaunched Dark Sun line are much better.
Jan 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnd, dark-sun
This book was the worst book I've read in a while. It did not come near to evoking the feel of the older Dark Sun novels. It felt like I was reading something written by a 12 year old gamer that was describing his last D&D campaign. Not immersive at all.
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I run second edition Dark Sun so maybe I'm biased. This book sucked for the most part, and I'm sure as with everything else WoTC has done Dark Sun's relaunch will suck. The story was..ok. It was really just a platform to mention creatures etc for the relaunch.
Weston Ochse
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was wonderful. It brought me back to my days of playing dungeons and dragons and all the good things associated with that. Two of the main characters reminded me of Faffert and the Grey Mouser with their interactions. Just wonderful.
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: d-d-books
Nothing special about this book. But I do like the world of Dark Sun because it's such a harsh place. This book was a good way to get reacquainted with that world. I look forward to other books as well.
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm so glad they brought this series back!! This was an excellent book to start it off with too. I loved the characters and would like to see them again.
Francisco Becerra
Feb 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sloppy storytelling, plain characters, and a straightforward plot. The worst way to help revive one of AD&D's best settings.
Bradley Convissar
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Way toooo many typos for a "traditionally" published book. Story was fair but did not caprture the magic of the otiginal Dark Sun stories. Tried to cram too much info in one book
Brandon Matilda
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this one as it brought me back to the world of Dark Sun I had read when I was a youth.
Christopher Green
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
so far it skips around alot.. from fight scenes to other stuff then to something else
Nov 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: stalled
It is my Kindle book for coffee time after dinner.
Jan 06, 2012
Mar 25, 2013
May 22, 2014
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Cinnabar Shadows (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #4)
  • The Broken Blade (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #3)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
  • The Sundering
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • The Rise of Nagash
  • The Great Betrayal
  • Dead Winter
  • Lord of the Necropolis (Ravenloft, #17)
  • The Temple of Yellow Skulls (The Abyssal Plague Strikes, #1)
  • The Return of Nagash
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Fist of Demetrius (The Macharian Crusade #2)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
Also writes as Jeff Mariotte

Jeffrey J. Mariotte is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than fifty novels, including thrillers Empty Rooms and The Devil's Bait, supernatural thrillers Season of the Wolf, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and Cold Black Hearts, horror epic The Slab, tand the Dark Vengeance teen horror quartet. His newest novel--written with wife and writing partner Marsh
More about Jeffrey J. Mariotte...

D&D: Dark Sun (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #2)
  • The Amber Enchantress (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #3)
  • The Obsidian Oracle (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #4)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1)
  • The Seeker (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #2)
  • The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion